[SOLVED] Lost graphix server, only black screen

[SOLVED] Lost graphix server, only black screen

Postby leon244 » Jul 14th, '21, 23:09

I apologize in advance for this long post. I had a working graphics environment and then tried to upgrade my graphics card. The new card did not work. (a GTX 1050ti), so I tried to go back to my original card (Nvidia GTX470 which uses the 390 driver). at this point I had really altered the environment trying to put the new card in, so I reinstalled the old card, and booted into the nouveau driver. I tried then from the CLI and drakeconf to go back to the old 390 drivers but nothing worked.
At this point I am using the nouveau driver and it boots into the graphics login screen, but following login I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. I can get to a non graphics tty and enter commands etc, but the graphics tty is a black screen with a white mouse pointer.
There are no [EE}'s in the xorg log file.
lspci identifies the Nvidia Gtx 470 card as being there.
Efforts to load the appropriate nvidia drivers via drakconf does not give a graphics screen and I go back to the nouveau driver.
I have booted with and without nokmsboot option and with that option I cannot even get to my login screen and I just get a black screen, but can still get to a non-graphics tty, so I am currently not using that boot option.
I have chosen my monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 226)from the drakconf menu.
However, whatever settings I have if I Test the settings I get a rainbow of colors, but the mouse does not work and I cannot choose either button (yes or no) to respond to the question of whether or not the setting is working.
Data from lspci shows that the driver for the card is nouveau and the kernel modules are nvidiafb, nouveau

I am stumped and don't even know where else to look. Any help to get my computer back would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by leon244 on Jul 15th, '21, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
leon244

Re: Lost graphix server, only black screen

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 14th, '21, 23:47

Please don't use the Test function in drakx11, this can cause issues. Check if you have any ~.Xauthority file in your home folder and delete it when the X server is not running.

Then run drakx11, select the propietary driver, leave the monitor selected as Plug&Play, save and reboot.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby leon244 » Jul 15th, '21, 00:36

Thanks i'll give it all a try tomorrow
leon244

Postby leon244 » Jul 15th, '21, 02:52

doktor5000 wrote:Please don't use the Test function in drakx11, this can cause issues. Check if you have any ~.Xauthority file in your home folder and delete it when the X server is not running.

Then run drakx11, select the propietary driver, leave the monitor selected as Plug&Play, save and reboot.

Thanks doktor. I sort of did what you suggested. I tried it first with an automatic boot into graphic server and it failed. so I went back and removed the nvidia packages, booted into nouveau after removing all the .Xauthority files in my home folder, but did not automatically boot into the graphic server. Instead, I booted into tty1 and then did startx from the CLI and that got me into my graphic server and back into my system. From the graphic interface, I then applied the proprietary driver packages via drak11x and then rebooted into tty1 and did startx again and I am back to where I was and have the nvidia driver working.
Thank you.

By the way, can you point me to instructions about the best steps to installing a new graphics card update?

Thanks again.
leon244

Postby isadora » Jul 15th, '21, 09:01

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 15th, '21, 17:19

leon244 wrote:By the way, can you point me to instructions about the best steps to installing a new graphics card update?

Well, as I mentioned, run drakx11, select the driver, save and reboot. That's about it.
See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_chang ... hic_driver
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Lost graphix server, only black screen

Postby leon244 » Jul 15th, '21, 17:29

Thank you. That is what I had thought but when this card crashed my system, I thought I had screwed it up. The crash was most probably because the card is a fake.
leon244

Postby jiml8 » Jul 16th, '21, 07:40

The same driver runs both cards. Seems to me that it should just work when you change the video card.
jiml8

Postby leon244 » Jul 16th, '21, 12:00

jiml8 wrote:The same driver runs both cards. Seems to me that it should just work when you change the video card.

That's what I thought and why I was surprised when it didn't work. I thought that the Nvidia driver for my original GTX 470 card should run the new GTX 1050ti card. But that didn't happen and that is why I believe the problem arose from the card being a fake; something I only discovered after the fact.
Lesson learned: Don't buy cards from Wish.com
leon244

Postby jiml8 » Jul 16th, '21, 15:08

Video cards right now are in incredibly short supply due to the global chip shortage. You would do best to avoid any video card purchases except on the most dire of emergency bases until the shortage eases. I have a GT-740 that I have been running for years now, and I could sell it today for twice what I paid for it back then.

This encourages both gouging and fraud. Best to keep and use what you have.
jiml8

Postby leon244 » Jul 16th, '21, 16:18

Thank you. Live and learn.
leon244

Return to Video