[Solved] Video driver

[Solved] Video driver

Postby Sigurd » Sep 25th, '20, 16:20

Hi,
obviously the video driver Xorg is working. I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce card and a 4K Monitor. The Xorg driver is not ideal. How can get and install the usual Nvidia driver?
Kind regards
Sigurd
Last edited by Sigurd on Sep 26th, '20, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
Sigurd

Re: Video driver

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 25th, '20, 19:04

Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Sep 25th, '20, 22:15

If I understand your question the way you intend it, you are confused.

Xorg is a graphical desktop server. It is the basic component upon which all of the display managers, and window managers and decorations and so forth depend in order to put up the display that you see.

The Nvidia driver is a driver for your particular video hardware. It exists at a lower level in the system than Xorg does, and Xorg uses the nvidia driver to access and control your video hardware.

So, you need both.

The nouveau driver is an open source driver that works with xorg and with Nvidia video cards if you don't want to use the Nvidia driver, which is closed source. If this is what you want to remove, you need to blacklist it and install the Nvidia driver.
jiml8

Postby Sigurd » Sep 26th, '20, 16:28

Thank you doktor5000. The description there is old. The place looks different. But I got offered another Nvidia driver and I installed it. Now it works better, especially the mouse is running smooth.
Kind regards
Sigurd
Sigurd

Re: [Solved] Video driver

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 26th, '20, 17:43

What do you mean the place looks different, any particular example? As far as I remember the tool has not changed in years.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Video