What hardware for video editing

What hardware for video editing

Postby Weatherlawyer » May 20th, '20, 09:49

I was about to ask for suggestions what to get with a new computer for video editing and was disheartened with all the woes that greeted me the first time I looked at this forum.
Should I just give up and go back to Windows or is there any hope on the way?

Can I buy a fairly cheap plug and play machine?
If so what to buy and what to steer clear of, please. I am a bordeline incompetent luser.
Weatherlawyer

Re: What hardware for video editing

Postby doktor5000 » May 20th, '20, 17:50

Weatherlawyer wrote:and was disheartened with all the woes that greeted me the first time I looked at this forum.

Care to explain what you mean in particular?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Weatherlawyer » May 21st, '20, 03:07

doktor5000 wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:and was disheartened with all the woes that greeted me the first time I looked at this forum.

Care to explain what you mean in particular?

I would love to if I knew what I was talking about. All this hi tech talk has gone over my head. I gather that video editing is still in the dark ages if I want to use Linux.
So it makes the query I came here for, redundant.

I want to know if there is a basic hardware set up for video editing that won't cost an arm or a leg as well as the last of my hair and, if so, what is it?
Weatherlawyer

Postby benmc » May 21st, '20, 08:59

some Linux Video editing software from here; https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-e ... ditor.html

these are available from Mageia repos:
KDEnlive
Shotcut
Pitivi
AVIdemux
Blender
Lives
Openshot

these are not in the Mageia repos
Vivia
Cinelerra
Flowblade.

all require some time to learn.
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » May 21st, '20, 10:16

Weatherlawyer wrote:I would love to if I knew what I was talking about. All this hi tech talk has gone over my head. I gather that video editing is still in the dark ages if I want to use Linux.
[...]I want to know if there is a basic hardware set up for video editing that won't cost an arm or a leg as well as the last of my hair and, if so, what is it?

No, it's really not in the dark ages anymore, since quite some time.

And for regular video editing, you don't need any special hardware. A decently performing PC, with a good amount of RAM (16GB+ I'd say) and an SSD for the operating system
and a lot of regular HDD space obviously for the video material that you are working on. Although I don't know regarding the GPU, what is supported in terms of hardware-accelerated video rendering.

But if you haven't looked at linux video editors, and haven't tried them out yet, why buy new hardware upfront if you have not tried it with your current hardware ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Weatherlawyer » May 22nd, '20, 19:57

doktor5000 wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:I would love to if I knew what I was talking about. All this hi tech talk has gone over my head. I gather that video editing is still in the dark ages if I want to use Linux.
[...]I want to know if there is a basic hardware set up for video editing that won't cost an arm or a leg as well as the last of my hair and, if so, what is it?

No, it's really not in the dark ages anymore, since quite some time.

And for regular video editing, you don't need any special hardware. A decently performing PC, with a good amount of RAM (16GB+ I'd say) and an SSD for the operating system
and a lot of regular HDD space obviously for the video material that you are working on. Although I don't know regarding the GPU, what is supported in terms of hardware-accelerated video rendering.

But if you haven't looked at linux video editors, and haven't tried them out yet, why buy new hardware upfront if you have not tried it with your current hardware ?

So I need:
A decently PC, with 16GB+ RAM, an SSD with a lot of regular HDD space. I don't know the what is supported for hardware-accelerated video rendering GPU and yo steered clear of drivers. Presumably you are still in denial about the dark ages.

But if you haven't looked at Linux video editors, and haven't tried them out yet, why buy new hardware upfront if you have not tried it with your current hardware?

I have a lot of old hardware but I have no idea what CPU I need. I have one box with an Intel chip but how good is it?

I can hardly read the writing on the chip and don't know what to look for if I could.

The motherboard is an Asrock H55M-LE will a ton of fans, a graphics card and all sort of stuff I want to put some of my old drives on then check what is on them. (I asked at several shops but they couldn't find anything on them which brings me back to the problem of using Linux in a Windows only support hub.)

If I am going to buy a new chip I want a new cooler and to max out the RAM whilst the seller is fitting it all. Then he is going to want to put Windows on it to try it out.
Weatherlawyer

Postby benmc » May 23rd, '20, 05:53

just try any of the video editors I suggested from the repos on your current machine.

I have an older i5 with 8gb of ram with intel810 (or later) driver video card, with 5400/7200 rpm drives, and use Kdenlive
Admittedly I am not creating videos for commercial release, but it is simple GUI that I can navigate with ease.

posting the output of
Code: Select all
lscpu
will give heaps of info about your cpu,

likewise

Code: Select all
lspcidrake
will give an overview of your hardware
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » May 23rd, '20, 11:33

Weatherlawyer wrote:I don't know the what is supported for hardware-accelerated video rendering GPU and yo steered clear of drivers. Presumably you are still in denial about the dark ages.

I'm not in denial, not sure what your point is. What drivers are you referring to? The only things usually not covered by kernel-included drivers are graphic cards, and at least the integration of the proprietary nvidia driver is fine in my opinion.
For ATI, as far as I'm aware the opensource driver is pretty good and supports a wide range of cards, so no additional driver needed there for the most parts.

What other "drivers" are you talking about ?
----
doktor5000

Return to Video