Problem playing DVDs

Problem playing DVDs

Postby peterh » Apr 25th, '20, 15:13

Hi, I am a newbe to Linux and Mageia. I have intstalled version 7 (have previously used version 6 with same problem). I cannot play commercial DVDs. I have tried several video players. With VLC I do get a message that access to the file is denied. I thought his might be due to the DVD region, but both my DVD player and DVD are region 2 for Europe. After some research I feel it may be due to libdvdcss not being included in the softare. ( It is in Mint and Pinguy). If so could someone tell me how, in very simple terms I can rectify this?
I can confirm that the DVD do mount but do not play
peterh

Re: Problem playing DVDs

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 25th, '20, 15:29

Hi there, please next time use one of the support subforums for support-type questions, thanks in advance. I've moved your thread already to the appropriate subforum.

For your query, yes - you would need to install dvdcss. For that, enable the tainted (and nonfree) repositories. Check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_management
Also, please post the output of
Code: Select all
rpm -qa|grep dvd|grep -E "css|nav|read"
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby peterh » Apr 26th, '20, 14:33

Thank you for the information. Sorry I posted in wrong place. Have enabled "tainted and nonfree" repositories and updated the system.
I do not understand where to post the output you have given me. I am completely new to linux. Do I need to use the Console for this, and if so where do I access it.
peterh

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '20, 17:47

peterh wrote:Do I need to use the Console for this, and if so where do I access it.

Yes, you would need a terminal / console. Check the start menu under Tools or search for terminal there, and start it.
Then post the content of the code box in there, and post the full output here.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Video