UHD / 4K monitor - clear text / symbols

UHD / 4K monitor - clear text / symbols

Postby maluethy » Apr 17th, '20, 17:07

Hello

I would like to buy a computer monitor that displays the font sharper than a standard monitor (pixel density about 100 dpi). I appreciate the clear font on Retina Displays from Apple (pixel density about 200 dpi). - I need the monitor for office work and watching video streams, not for playing games.

I would like to switch from a 24 inch, Full HD, 1920 × 1080 pixels monitor to a 24 inch, UHD, 3840 x 2160 pixels monitor. By switching I have four times more pixel density. The picture becomes 50% smaller with UHD resolution than with Full HD. On the desktop I scale the surface by 200 % up. So I have the same desktop surface with UHD as with Full HD. But the picture should be significantly sharper. Is this possible and what should I pay attention to? Which desktop is suitable? Are there any programs which do not support high resolution? What about software in virtual machines (for example VirtualBox)?

I was thinking of a Dell P2415Q monitor.

Thanks in advance for comments and greetings.
Luethy
maluethy

Re: UHD / 4K monitor - clear text / symbols

Postby filip » Apr 19th, '20, 16:04

I use Dell's UltraSharp U2515H which is 2.5k only very happily for more than 5 years already. Besides another HD only Dell monitor I also connected an 4k TV (LG from 2015 I think) to it which i use sometimes. A bit old Intel graphic but all works great for my needs. I even used pivot orientation just yesterday on 2.5k monitor for more visible code lines. Which can be very handy sometimes.

I use XFCE but in the past it also worked well in Plasma. My usage doesn't include 3D. Beside browsing and usual "home office" work I write some PHP when I can. Regarding virtual machines I only tried them as I don't have any use case for now. But IIRC the test itself was OK regarding monitors.

BTW: 4k TV also works nice for my needs on RPI4: HD backup, apache with several websites for my needs/tests and some "couch browsing" also.
filip

Re: UHD / 4K monitor - clear text / symbols

Postby maluethy » Apr 25th, '20, 14:52

Thank you very much for the answer and the information. It helps me a lot.
maluethy

Return to Video