[SOLVED] Weird Monitor Woes

[SOLVED] Weird Monitor Woes

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 17th, '18, 07:54

Hi There!
I recently had to change my older 15 inch monitor with a 19 inch one (using Mageia 6), and, although I followed the usual steps in Mageia Control Centre to let X-org recognise and use the new monitor, I suspect something is missing, somewhere, because:
  • On the Login Screen, the list of available Desktops and Window Managers does not scroll. I mean, there is no scroll bar. I know I could un-install a couple of the already installed, and rarely used, ones. Still, I have never seen that before...
  • Most of the time, I tend to use Fluxbox or LXDE, but since I switched monitors, neither of them works! When I try to log into either of them, the session is never opened. The mouse just turns into an X, though the system doesn't really freeze, but I have no other option but to reboot.
  • On the other hand, Xfce and GNOME work fine. I haven't tried the other remaining alternatives. Unfortunately, though they are excellent environments on their own, the other two I had mentioned above just make it easier for me in certain situations that suit my work.

I'm really appreciate any hint on what I can do, or what I could have overlooked.

Thanks a million, in advance.
Last edited by hosadeeb on Sep 20th, '18, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
hosadeeb

Re: Weird Monitor Woes

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '18, 12:40

Not sure why you needed to use MCC after changing your monitor. Usually it should just be set to the default, which is plug and play and you don't need to change anything.

You may want to try again by simply moving away / renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf & any file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and then logging in again.
Please also post /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 17th, '18, 12:58

I just wanted to make sure the difference in size (14" --> 19") won't be a problem.
hosadeeb

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 17th, '18, 12:59

Attached is Xorg.0.log
Attachments
Xorg.0.log
(25.26 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
hosadeeb

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 17th, '18, 16:41

An Update
  • I tried renaming xorg.conf, nothing changed.
  • I tried letting MCC know that my monitor is one of those it does have in its lists, one that is almost similar to the model Plug&Play found earlier. Again, nothing changed.
  • I tried Plasma, didn't work.
  • But now Xfce does something very strange: it restarts the login screen!!! And only then can I log into it...

I just hope someone would make sense of it all...
hosadeeb

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '18, 16:54

hosadeeb wrote:Attached is Xorg.0.log

You may want to add some context information for that log. I don't see any errors in there and no obvious issues, so the X server started just fine. In fact, if you see the display manager, X server is already running so that is not the issue.

You may want to take a look why your display manager or desktop environment do not load properly by examining the log using journalctl -ab as root ...
Best run
Code: Select all
journalctl -ab > /tmp/journal.log
once you are at the login screen and tried starting XFCE/Plasma or whatever, afterwards wait briefly and switch to another tty using e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2
then run journalctl as pointed out and attach /tmp/journal.log here.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 17th, '18, 22:39

Attached is the journal log after trying to log into Fluxbox (still to no avail...).
Attachments
journal.log
(289.94 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
hosadeeb

Re: [SOLVED] Weird Monitor Woes

Postby hosadeeb » Sep 20th, '18, 13:37

Everything came back to order after the latest kernel update...

To be completely honest, I haven't the faintest idea why, or how the kernel update did the trick.

But thanks anyway for bearing with me.

Love Mageia <3
hosadeeb

Return to Video