[solved] Radeon driver broken by recent firmware updates ...

[solved] Radeon driver broken by recent firmware updates ...

Postby ghmitch » Jan 30th, '18, 05:21

Immediately after recent Mageia 6 radeon firmware updates, I am experiencing video problems with my FireGL card. The greeter screen is flashing erratically and ksmserver is taking segfaults on launch. After multiple attempts is eventually succeeds and there are no further problems until the next login attempt from the greeter. This problem surfaced immediately after the firmware updates were installed and has never occurred prior to those updates, so I am pretty confident they are the source of the problem. I am also hesitant to go for a new video card until this whole meltdown spectre problem is fully addressed. I don't know whether it affects GPUs but I am not sure I want to spend any money until that mess gets resolved. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as to how to deal with it?
Last edited by ghmitch on Feb 4th, '18, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
ghmitch

Re: Radeon driver broken by recent firmware updates ...

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 30th, '18, 19:08

ghmitch wrote:Any suggestions as to how to deal with it?

Either downgrade the firmware packages to the previous version, use a different graphics driver like vesa or so, or search for related bugreports that might lead to the root cause for the behaviour you're seeing.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [solved] Radeon driver broken by recent firmware updates

Postby ghmitch » Feb 5th, '18, 00:01

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions. I ended up replacing old Fire GL card with new GeForce 8400 GS card after verifying that meltdown and spectre don't affect them, now everything just works fine including some additional features that had ceased functioning on the Fire GL card. Problems solved.
ghmitch

Return to Video