Mageia 6: 2 displays

Mageia 6: 2 displays

Postby wimedel » Aug 4th, '17, 16:49

I use 2 displays (DVI and VGA) with slightly different resolutions. I use to configure them with "System settings -> Display and Monitor" in such a way that they give the impression of one big screen.

With Mageia 5 (KDE) I did not meet problems with confguring and using both displays. But with Mageia 6 I meet 2 problems:

1. With Mageia 5 (KDE) it was possible to give each display its own panels. But that seems to be impossible with Mageia 6 (Plasma).

2. With Mageia 6 you can only partially drag a window from the primary display in the secundary one. To complete the dragging you must click the "enlarge" button of the window. Then the window appears in its full size in the secondary display, afther which you may reduce the size. In the other direction the dragging does not meet problems.

I use the DVI display as the primary display. But using the VGA display as the primary one does not make a difference.

Wim
wimedel

Re: Mageia 6: 2 displays

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 4th, '17, 19:23

wimedel wrote:1. With Mageia 5 (KDE) it was possible to give each display its own panels. But that seems to be impossible with Mageia 6 (Plasma).

How did you try? Also, did you unlock the applets beforehand? Otherwise the option to add a new panel is not shown.

wimedel wrote:2. With Mageia 6 you can only partially drag a window from the primary display in the secundary one. To complete the dragging you must click the "enlarge" button of the window. Then the window appears in its full size in the secondary display, afther which you may reduce the size. In the other direction the dragging does not meet problems.

Sorry can't really test this at home, somebody else with multihead setup might need to reproduce this.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wimedel » Aug 5th, '17, 11:59

How did you try? Also, did you unlock the applets beforehand? Otherwise the option to add a new panel is not shown.

- put the cursor on the secundary display
- click the left button; a dropdown menu appears on the secundary display.
- this menu has an entry "+ add panel"; click this entry. The result is that a panel is added on the primary display.
Wim
wimedel

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '17, 14:42

That sounds like a bug, it should be possible to have separate panels per display.
Did you try to just move one of those panels over to the second display, same way as you can reposition them around the edges of the primary display?

It might help if you could add the output of
Code: Select all
kscreen-doctor --outputs
xrandr -q

and also the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*
You may also want to compare the configuration you did in systemsettings with the settings saved in ~/.local/share/kscreen/ if they are as expected.

Although the whole multihead thing is a pretty complex topic, see e.g. https://vizzzion.org/blog/2016/05/multi ... nd-beyond/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Video