Installing software for AMD Rx 460

Installing software for AMD Rx 460

Postby canadaist » Dec 3rd, '16, 00:10

I Bought an AMD rx 460 2gb because AMD apu. I cannot get anything except vesa to show me a screen. AMD's software says I am using an unsupported RH derivative. So far its still an improvement over the over heating of the "I can be a processor and a graphics card" AMD APU, but I would like a higher resolution.

Fully up to date mageia5.

Any hints as to next step, or encouragement on finding something better than vesa settings, or news about Mageia 6 and its potential ability to better plug and play.

Apocryphal reports of using a RH version of some requires...

Thanks in advance.

Also, if my searches for this being covered elsewhere are insufficient to the point of reprimand, I am still looking, and just that reminder would be encouragement.
canadaist

Re: Installing software for AMD Rx 460

Postby pete910 » Dec 3rd, '16, 15:28

You will need to jump to mageia 6 as the rx4xx series requires amdgpu driver.
pete910

Postby canadaist » Dec 3rd, '16, 15:33

Very encouraging. Thank you for your response. I have a low-fi screen running vesa (hooray) and my system is running much cooler. so I'll wait the few months for the prettier, if thats what it takes.

Thank you Pete.

Is this an expectation that it might work, or is it with an idea of the requires of the amdgpu driver?
canadaist

Postby pete910 » Dec 3rd, '16, 15:56

The amdgpu driver is AMD's rewrite of their linux driver. The older drivers both oss and proprietary have no support for the rx4xx series.

They have included cgn 1.1 and up in the new driver. Both my children have AMD cards. Son has a 390, my daughter inherited my 290x. They work well with AMDGPU driver and mesa. Be nice when mesa is built with llvm 3.9 as that will allow full usage of 13's feature set .

Going on the probs I've had with my gtx1080 I can safely say the oss drivers on AMD are way better. (long story)

We are all on mageia 6 btw
pete910

Postby canadaist » Dec 3rd, '16, 16:07

All on 6? Several machines? Any issues? The Rx 460 is for a machine in use. Could I make a boot stick with 6 and see what issues I get? I dont think I should risk an upgrade.

I am confused though. Do you use AMD's newer drivers, or an open source driver....

DL'd 6 live DVD, will report back after tests.
canadaist

Postby pete910 » Dec 3rd, '16, 16:25

Yes, all on 6,
oss drivers for AMD.

Only issues are me is NV drivers atm, unrelated to mageia. Regards AMD, just need mesa compiling with llvm so a few games like Alien isolation wont work. Stability wise, spot on though.

If you have a spare drive, use that. The mga6 iso will need loads of updates now. The team have been quite busy :shock: 8-)
pete910

Postby canadaist » Dec 3rd, '16, 17:06

Tried 6 - wouldnt show me x11, boot said no config worked for boot, logged in as root, tested 10 or so configs in drakx11, all using amdgpu, then a couple vesa, all say server failures.

ON Mageia 5_____
Oddly, if I dont set up x11, it uses a very low resolution, and I presume vesa as thats what setup always suggests, but I cannot use any resolutions without a server failure in setup, cancelling out provides x11
canadaist

Postby pete910 » Dec 4th, '16, 13:02

Did you disable the on board GPU in bios ?

Have you installed to a spare drive and allowed it to update ?
pete910

Postby canadaist » Dec 4th, '16, 18:17

No, I didn't install to a spare drive. I just ran the live disk. I understand it is a work in progress. I intended it to be a test, for hope. I also booted kubuntu 16.10 live disk, and it works without configuration, so it wont be long.

No I have not disabled the on board GPU in bios, but then, Kubuntu 16.04 didnt need that.

I cant think of a reason not to, but kinfo says that available memory once at 6gig is now over 7 gig.
canadaist

Return to Video