[resolved]Webcam [Stopped then started on reinstall of M5]

[resolved]Webcam [Stopped then started on reinstall of M5]

Postby dwhite » Nov 22nd, '16, 18:16

Generally i use my webcam infrequently, but it was working with M5 in cheese now it's just stopped, I bought a new one it worked for seconds then stopped.
Last edited by dwhite on Nov 25th, '16, 00:11, edited 8 times in total.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Re: Webcam that was working just stopped.

Postby wintpe » Nov 24th, '16, 12:13

im not sure anyone remembers what webcam you use,
and as there are so many different types out there it would be helpful
to know what it is.

so lsusb, output, make/model.

to often webcam issues are down to the driver in the kernel, rather than the specific app.

so worth booting from the kernel it last worked in, if that identifies a specific kernel at fault,

then it will be much easier to track down a specific change, and therefore bug fix that broke it.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: Webcam that was working just stopped.

Postby dwhite » Nov 24th, '16, 21:53

It's just started again, I did a fresh install of M4 using the same partitions and only formatting /. Then I upgraded to M5, only then installing Thunderbird and cheese. I then did the updates I opened cheese expecting it to not show anything, but it didn't allowing the upgrade sources to be install, the new Kisonli HD still doesn't work.
dwhite

Re: [resolved]Webcam [Stopped then started on reinstall of M

Postby wintpe » Nov 25th, '16, 10:53

Hi

I needed to see lsusb output

this camera i suspect Kisonli HD, is some obscure Chinese brand, and could be using any
standard, and as i cant find anything on google about it, its unlikely there's any Linux support for it.

when i say standard, read here, it will give you a good understanding.
http://www.linux-drivers.org/usb_webcams.html

lsusb will give us more information as it will tell us if any driver has matched it, and the usb code that we use to identify devices.

with that we might be able to see that its based on another brand,

but with the acception of uvc based webcams you are taking a bit of a bet when you choose by price, rather
that choose by Linux compatibility.

take the output from lsusb, for the webcam and google it, or post it here and i or someone here will search for it.

regards peter
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 25th, '16, 18:06

@Peter: Seems with the reinstallation the problem resolved itself ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » Nov 26th, '16, 08:52

I am content as one webcam works, and the new one wasn't even a lot of money though I bought it because it was HD, KDE must think its just a normal Webcam as it installs the normal Driver USB 2.0 had it not worked for a while I wouldn't have fussed just given it to one of my family members with Windows. For a while most everything seemed to work under Linux, But now it seems we're back to the old route.
dwhite

Postby wintpe » Nov 28th, '16, 17:10

OK its great that you are happy ,
but it would also be great if we can add this experience to the forum, so that others might
be able to see your webcams usb codes, and know in advance whether they work or not.

so id still very much appreciate if you could plug each of the cams in and post the usb string that
they have, this could help anyone else decide if choosing a cam, if its likely to work
or not.

regards peter
wintpe

Return to Video