Installing Nvidia driver

Installing Nvidia driver

Postby rychok » Apr 15th, '16, 04:44

I tried to install driver downloaded from Nvidia webside, but I got error message in console without X running.
Your screen is too small for this application.
Resize the screen and restart the application.

But now I have installed dkms package, and on boot I have gotten same message, so my guess is the driver is not installed.
When I look for instructions for installing Nvidia driver I have not found any problem like this on any distro forums.
From some post way back to Mageia 2 it was mentioned that lack of modline in Xorg.conf may cause this or is it something else?
rychok

Re: Installing Nvidia driver

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 15th, '16, 22:20

What packages did you install in particular?
Why don't you simply use drakx11 to install the nvidia drivers from Mageia repos? See http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/XFdrake.html
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rychok » Apr 19th, '16, 04:58

I'm trying to make to laptops with Intel Skylake and Nvidia (GTX940M on one and GTX960M on second) to be usable. For some time Intel and Nvidia cards were pretty safe to make Linux working, but it looks like this has changed. At this moment I have no time to play whit it, so I have just tried few suggestions from posts in different forums, but based on what I have read it looks a little messy.
Mageia out of the box settings is showing Nvidia card but not installing the driver, switching mechanism, on one side should be supported by Xorg on another no, kernel switching for Nvidia supported by latest from Nvidia website ( by the way adding ModeLine to Xorg make instellation possible), somewhere else is says that is big mistake to install this driver.
So probably I will play with this in few weeks now I'm running kernel 4.4.7 with quite a few glitches on Intel video, but I have to live whit this at this for now.
Playing with this I have seen problem with Mageia Grub2 default boot settings, it just is not working I had to install and use Grub Customizer to do the job.
rychok

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 19th, '16, 15:38

Well, as you don't provide any actual details or output, can't help much further.

And FWIW I installed with brtfs filesystem for / which automatically installs and configures grub2 which works fine. Not sure what you're talking about "default boot settings, it just is not working" but as you also don't provide further details, can't help with that, too.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rychok » Apr 20th, '16, 03:02

Grub installs fine, At some pint I had three kernels installed, and the last one (last installed) is boot default, I was trying to change that, I have change the settings in MCC but system still booted to the newest kernel. As far as Nvidia installation all my recent post about missing cursor, and installing Mageia on Asus GL752 are related, but like I said I must live with what I have for next 3 weeks, than I will try to make more research on this subject and try it again.
rychok

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 20th, '16, 23:10

Well, for grub2 please have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_5_Errata#Grub2
Also the newest kernel will always be selected as the default. If you want to change that easily, set the option savedefault in /etc/default/grub IIRC, see e.g. http://superuser.com/a/205360/365864
Need to look up what I configured when I'm back at my Mageia box.

And as a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread ;)
----
doktor5000

Return to Video