Purgeing Nvidia and reinstalling drivers

Re: Purgeing Nvidia and reinstalling drivers

Postby madsaint » Mar 21st, '16, 21:23

Hi doktor5000,

If, as you say there's nothing wrong with the Nvidia card and driver, the situation still remains that loses the graphical screen upon log in. If it's the monitor not being recognized by the driver, I suspect something has changed. When M5 was first loaded I had no problem with the monitor, only that the contrast and brightness controls were low, which I'll adjust as soon as the monitor is seen to. I have as a basis for this suspicion programs loaded from MCC which mysteriously disappeared the day after, prompting a reload of the lost programs, this happened several times. It stopped just before permissions to the HDD's was changed. It hasn't affected me since.

Hope it helps.
Regards
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 21st, '16, 21:32

You can generate custom modelines which tell the system which resolutions and refresh rates your monitor supports, but for that you need a specification sheet for the monitor.
This should be it, although you may need to run it through google translate or similar: http://www.acer.com/ac/vi/VN/content/model/ET.LPB0D.030

In drakx11, select custom monitor, and provide the horizontal and vertical refresh rates, then save and reboot.

FWIW, do you have any custom settings in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 21st, '16, 21:49

Hi doktor5000,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the spec sheet in English for the monitor, I'll refer to that thanks.

In konsole how do i query the computer about the custom settings, or do I enter what you wrote as you wrote it?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Mar 22nd, '16, 10:21

Hi doktor5000,

No luck whatsoever in changing monitor refresh rates. No matter what is selected it still shows the current graphical screen size. Also the test function doesn't work. Going into text mode also wont change things. Graphics card and monitor settings are working in both modes. it appears resolution and test are frozen. How do I unfreeze them?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 22nd, '16, 10:56

FWIW you should not use the test function. Simply change and save the settingsvia drakx11, and then reboot.

madsaint wrote:In konsole how do i query the computer about the custom settings, or do I enter what you wrote as you wrote it?

Sorry I don't get what you ask. You posted your xorg.conf which is what drakx11 writes from what you select in drakx11.
I posted the link to the drakx11 documentation previously. And what in particular is unclear about
doktor5000 wrote:In drakx11, select custom monitor, and provide the horizontal and vertical refresh rates, then save and reboot.

?

If you refer to
doktor5000 wrote:FWIW, do you have any custom settings in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc ?

then you can simply post the output of
Code: Select all
cat ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

cat can be used to show the content of files.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 22nd, '16, 14:47

Hi doktor5000,

The string was exactly what I asked for. The output results:

[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ cat ~/ .nvidia-settings-rc
cat: /home/theresalouis/: Is a directory
cat: .nvidia-settings-rc: No such file or directory
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ cat ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
cat: /home/theresalouis/.nvidia-settings-rc: No such file or directory
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$

As you can see it's the simple things that drives you up the wall. Your input please.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 23rd, '16, 09:10

As the file doesn't exist, you can't show the contents, simple as that. What input do you expect?

What about the rest of my previous post?
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 25th, '16, 00:06

Hi doktor5000,

Yes I did refer to your earlier post, but unfortunately, only the general refresh rate of 60Hz was published. I haven't been able to find any more info about refresh rates for this model. I tried smaller screen sizes in x11 to no avail. Oddly the smaller the screen size the bigger the magnification of the screen.

In a fit, I went to MCC and searched for current Nvidia drivers and plug ins. Selected a few and downloaded them. Upon restart, I went into x11 and changed graphic card selection to Nvidia and set the resolutions. Lo and behold everything is back to normal, no skewed screen, no stretched text and no switching to X after boot. The Xorg nvidia
driver available prompt was selected, as it was on earlier attempts. The only difference was the updated driver and plug ins. It works now. Screen adjustments, resolutions, brightness, contrast and colour all work.

To recap, I found the drivers in MCC, under "all΅ and in search mode. I cant seem to find the same drivers in any of the regular category selections.

I'm going to see if this keeps. When convinced, I'll close this thread.

I'm so grateful for your efforts and patience.
Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 25th, '16, 11:23

madsaint wrote:Oddly the smaller the screen size the bigger the magnification of the screen.

Which is normal.

madsaint wrote:In a fit, I went to MCC and searched for current Nvidia drivers and plug ins. Selected a few and downloaded them.

That is what drakx11 does, per the previously mentioned documentation.
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 27th, '16, 08:13

Hi doktor5000,

It's been two days and things were running smoothly until this morning, when the Plymouth splash screen disengage failed during boot. It caused the bootloader to change from graphical to textual and refused to progress from there. I've got it running now but have lost screen resolution. Reloading nvidia drivers in X still gets me to X after log in. So it's back to square one.

While the graphics card options in the M5 list come close to my series and model, the choice of driver is not open to selection.
The system chooses it for you, You can't know which of the drivers in MCC you chose was selected.

I've found a driver in the Nvidia (US) web page that is a series and model specific match to my card for Linux. It's a shell script.

Thus far I've been confined to choosing options within M5, With one brief exception, they have never worked.

Would it be wise to try loading the manufacturers driver? I've never launched a shell script before. Could you run me through the steps to install, and if that fails, the uninstall process?

I got the script from this page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-295.53-driver. you might want to check it for your reference.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby Ken-Bergen » Mar 27th, '16, 08:26

That driver was released almost four years ago and is version 295.53
The version in MCC is 346.96
Do the math.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby madsaint » Mar 27th, '16, 08:41

Hi Ken Bergen,

I take your point. Do I deselect every driver option in MCC except ver.346.96 and try again?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby Ken-Bergen » Mar 27th, '16, 13:14

I don't have an answer to your problem but uninstalling unused drivers will not help.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 27th, '16, 13:36

It would be helpful if you would at least show what packages you have currently installed.
rpm -qa|sort|grep nvidia
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 27th, '16, 18:46

Hi doktor5000,

Happy Easter!

The answer I get is
rpm: -qalsortlgrep: unknown option

What do I do now?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Mar 27th, '16, 19:05

Hi doktor5000,

So sorry for the earlier mistaken output, here is the correct one:
[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|sort|grep nvidia
dkms-nvidia304-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
dkms-nvidia340-340.96-1.mga5.nonfree
dkms-nvidia-current-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia304-doc-html-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia304-kernel-3.19.8-desktop-3.mga5-304.125-37.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-doc-html-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-3.19.8-desktop-3.mga5-346.82-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-3.19.8-server-3.mga5-346.82-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-4.1.15-server-2.mga5-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-server-latest-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia304-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia340-340.96-1.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree

So sorry for the earlier mistake, hope this helps.

Regards
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 27th, '16, 23:56

madsaint wrote:
dkms-nvidia304-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
dkms-nvidia340-340.96-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia304-doc-html-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia304-kernel-3.19.8-desktop-3.mga5-304.125-37.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia304-304.131-1.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia340-340.96-1.mga5.nonfree

You should remove those packages. And next time please don't go about and install some arbitrary packages, breaking a working installation.
Makes it pretty hard to help if you shoot yourself in the foot.
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Mar 28th, '16, 00:48

Hi doktor5000,

All removed.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Mar 30th, '16, 19:19

Hi doktor5000,

Since removing the conflicting software and having restarted the computer a few times since, I tried changing the NVidia driver in drakconf in X, still no luck. Screen goes to X after log in.

Regards
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 6th, '16, 21:50

Hi doktor5000,

I' ve tried everything, every combination of drivers available, keeping away from the ones you recommended I remove and I still can' t get my screen to unskew. I now have only the latest kernel and driver for my card. This has taken waay tooo long.

What can I do to get it unskewed.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 7th, '16, 16:16

Hi doktor5000,

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers in turn after a prompt notified me that components were missing from the drivers. I did so after updating my repo mirror. On trying again in X I get;

Ignore the following Glib: :Object: :Introspection & Gtk3 warnings
Cannot be run in console mode.
The “drax11” program has crashed with the following error:
Can’t call method “attron” on an undefined value at /usr/lib/per15/vendor _perl/5.20.1/Curses/UI/Checkbox.pm line 221.
Perl’ s trace: drakbug: :bug_handler( ) called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/interactive/curses.pm557
Interactive: :curses: :ask_fromW_( ) called from  /usr/lib/libDrakX/interactive/curses.pm:495
Interactive: :curses: :ask_fromW_( ) called from  /usr/lib/libDrakX/interactive/curses.pm:658
Interactive: :curses: :ask_from_real ( ) called from  /usr/lib/libDrakX/interactive/curses.pm:658
Interactive: :curses: :ask_from_real ( ) called from  /usr/lib/libDrakX/interactive/curses.pm:646
Interactive: :ask_from ( ) called from  /usr/lib/libdrakX/Xconfig/main.pm:152
Xconfig: :main : :configure_chooser_raw( ) called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/Xconfig/main.pm165
Xconfig: :main : :configure_chooser_raw( ) called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/Xconfig/main.pm192
Xconfig: :main : :configure_everything_or_configure_chooser( ) called from/usr/libexec/drakx 11 : 48

Is there a bug to be addressed or do I need additional packages? As it stands the current output of

rpm -qa|sort|grep NVidia

is

[theresalouis@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|sort|grep nvidia
dkms-nvidia-current-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-doc-html-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-3.19.8-desktop-3.mga5-346.82-1.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-4.1.15-desktop-1.mga5-346.96-4.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-4.1.15-desktop-2.mga5-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-4.1.15-server-2.mga5-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
nvidia-current-kernel-server-latest-346.96-5.mga5.nonfree
x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-346.96-1.mga5.nonfree

Hope it helps.
Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 10th, '16, 08:56

Hi doktor5000,

In system settings, Display configurations, the default screen sizes are multiples of 4;3 screen size ratios as default. No matter
how you choose to scale it you can't get to a 16;9 ratio. Is this default keeping my screen skewed? How do I get to 16;9 ratios?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 10th, '16, 15:00

madsaint wrote:In system settings, Display configurations,

You jump from one issue to the next. Does this mean X server starts, and are you talking about the display configuration under KDE, or in MCC?
----
doktor5000

Postby madsaint » Apr 10th, '16, 21:10

Hi doktor5000,

There is only one issue. My screen was working fine until one day half the software I installed disappeared and my screen was skewed (stretched horizontally). In trying to get the balance back (color, brightness, contrast and aspect ratio back) I reached out to you.

Some time back I went into X screen and reloaded the drivers using your instructions. I got screen control back. Proving it's not a monitor fault. It lasted about 2 days. Then suddenly I can't get past the plymouth splash screen. Well, I got the splash screen sorted, but lost the balance and also some software including the Nvidia drivers. Any attempts at reloading the drivers in X led me back to X after log in. After removing the drivers you recommended., and reloading the remaining drivers I still get to X after log in, with the error prompt I reported to you. Since then Mcc software updated and I don't get errors any more, but I still cant get balance back. I still get to X after log in. I reported the output readings to you so you know what's in the system. I haven't changed it.

In trying to get my colors adjusted because I could not read certain screens, I went into Display configurations in 'Configure Your Desktop' in KDE. It was then that I noticed the 4;3 screen ratios and reported to you.

How can MGA read and configure my card and driver, and then not? Can it be a sticky default setting that I need to get past? The drivers are up to date. They are not in conflict with the system. They can be engaged but don't work as they should. With Vesa I know the graphic card is not at fault. Just a matter of getting it working as it should, as it did. I 'm trying on my end to try to understand where it could go wrong.

Although 4;3 monitors are still around, the world has moved to 16;9 format for good it seems, which is why it struck me as unusual that the 4;3 setting in KDE is the only ratio available. Knowing MGA 5 is a recent update I reported to you to see if it struck you the same way. Sorry if I confused you. In Display configurations in 'Configure Your Desktop' in KDE 'Manage and configure monitors and displays' there is a Default button below Unify Outputs. What are those defaults? Any way to query the computer to see if they are engaged? If so is there a way past them? To undo them? A 4;3 ratio screen on a 16;9 monitor explains the skewed display. So the default my well be the issue.

I'm NOT jumping issues.The only issue is getting balance back to the KDE desktop. The monitor is new, the graphics card is new. I've never had this problem in Mandriva 10 or 12. I'm past deadlines on work and I need It working. How hard can it be to configure a monitor. Seriously.

This is it. Had balance, lost it. Got balance back, lost it again. Now I'm trying to get balance back for good. Could you help me do that?

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Postby madsaint » Apr 15th, '16, 16:15

Hi doktor5000,

Any news yet on getting past default settings on KDE, System Settings, Configure Your Desktop, Display and Monitor.

Regards,
madsaint
madsaint

Previous

Return to Video