DVD Styler - Mageia 5 - Appears to have issue

DVD Styler - Mageia 5 - Appears to have issue

Postby KnightMB » Feb 10th, '16, 03:18

I've been using Mageia for a long time, and part of that was use of the very helpful "DVDStyler" package that has been around for an equally long time. I've finally gotten around to upgrading some family and friends to the new Mageia 5 release and noticed that DVD Styler no longer can encode or create DVDs for them. I thought maybe it was related from upgrading, but after testing an upgrade from Mageia 3 to Mageia 4, DVD Styler was still working just fine. Upgrading from Mageia 4 to Mageia 5, DVD Styler is the only package program not working. Doing a fresh install of Mageia 5 has the same issue. Installing the 32-bit version of the package, the issue is still there with Mageia 5.

The big issue is that once you start the process to create a DVD, the long building and encoding process never gets past the DVD menu creation. Eventually the program eats all the RAM and crashes. If you peak at the output directory that it builds the DVD files in, it looks as though it is stuck in a loop creating an audio file that eventually becomes so big, it crashes out the program.

Is this is an issue of package building for the DVD Styler or some configuration error that needs to be corrected to make the program work again? I haven't tried downloading the raw source code and trying to do a manual build yet if there is a really simple fix for the program?
KnightMB

Re: DVD Styler - Mageia 5 - Appears to have issue

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 10th, '16, 03:40

Well, I don't see any bug open for dvdstyler, so I'd suggest opening one and adding a few steps to easily reproduce the issue you describe. Seems to happen here, so the issue seems to happen when rendering the menus to .mpeg video.
See https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly - for completeness's sake and also to allow others to follow up on that bug report, please also post the link to it here in the thread, thanks.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 10th, '16, 03:48

Just tested with 2.9.6 which is the latest stable version, and it works just fine - keep in mind that the version on mga5 is from 2014 ...
2.9.6 also offers a lot more menu templates. You can try on x86_64 with the attached package.
dvdstyler-2.9.6-1.mga5.x86_64.rpm
(7.01 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Feb 14th, '16, 03:34

Wow, I came here to get ready to submit that bug report, but only 8 minutes after your posting, you had a fixed version! :mrgreen:
Now that is what I call amazing bug-fix turnaround. :shock:

Ok, the newer 2.9.6 version already fixes whatever the issue was, so my guess is that any future versions of Mageia will already have the newer version that is already fixed? Should I still submit a bug report or will it just be moved to "already fixed in next version" kind of response?

[edit]
Yeah, I need to make it, I just realized you meant the version in Mageia 5 was from an older version...

doktor5000 wrote:Just tested with 2.9.6 which is the latest stable version, and it works just fine - keep in mind that the version on mga5 is from 2014 ...
2.9.6 also offers a lot more menu templates. You can try on x86_64 with the attached package.
dvdstyler-2.9.6-1.mga5.x86_64.rpm
KnightMB

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 14th, '16, 12:29

Well for mga6 we already have 2.9.4.
You could file a bug for mga5 so we can push the newer package to everybody, as in the current version dvdstyler won't work at all in mga5.
----
doktor5000

Postby KnightMB » Feb 14th, '16, 21:11

Done! Thanks for all the help! :D

doktor5000 wrote:Well for mga6 we already have 2.9.4.
You could file a bug for mga5 so we can push the newer package to everybody, as in the current version dvdstyler won't work at all in mga5.
KnightMB

Postby isadora » Feb 14th, '16, 21:22

For completeness sake please attach a link to your bug-entry, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby KnightMB » Feb 14th, '16, 21:23

KnightMB

Return to Video