Cannot install AMD-15.7/12 on tmb-4.1x or 4.4 kernel

Cannot install AMD-15.7/12 on tmb-4.1x or 4.4 kernel

Postby aa-kk » Jan 26th, '16, 19:35

I cannot install AMD-15.7 on the tmb-4.1.5 kernel.
The AMD-installer complains it needs /lib/modules/4.1.15-tmb-desktop-2.mga5/ ....... version.h
I cannot use the Crimson driver: does not support Llano it says.
Now, after last update, with 4.1.15, I went back to using 3.19.8 on it, then I can install the AMD driver.
Maybe 4.1.15 is to new? Or something is missing in the packages?
Any ideas? Or I missed a thread?

ANSWER (below):
- try to use patched Mageia FGLRX-package.
- with kernel 4.1 or 4.4 there is version.h errror. is fixed but still a DKMS error
Last edited by aa-kk on Jun 27th, '16, 20:33, edited 6 times in total.
aa-kk

Re: Cannot install AMD-15.7 on tmb-4.1.5 kernel

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 26th, '16, 21:26

Please post the output of
Code: Select all
rpm -qa | grep kernel | grep '4.1.15'

The packaged fglrx driver from the repos doesn't work?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby aa-kk » Jan 26th, '16, 22:49

No, I've been trying those on-off since, I think, Mageia-1 though. Never worked.
It could have something todo with the fact that this system is coming from Mandriva-2008, but on a clean install they failed too.
Maybe they work only, for whatever reason, on a intel+amd system?

FYI:
1. when the AMD installer gave the option for creating packages, there was no Mageia option.
2. when I forced install on 4.1.15 it did not work either.

It could well be, that with my system I am at end of the line, concerning AMD, since Crimson does not want my hardware?
So I need 15.7, which needs 3.19.8-tmb.
Only with a new laptop I can go forward again, however that would be Mageia-8/9 with AMD-Zen-HBM, possibly.
Not sure I make it till then, though.
And I just don't have the energy anymore to figure it all out again, like I did when moving Mandriva-2008 on PATA to a SATA laptop, by inserting the SATA driver into the kernel/initrd.
aa-kk

Postby aa-kk » Jan 26th, '16, 22:54

rpm -qa | grep kernel | grep '4.1.15'

kernel-tmb-desktop-devel-4.1.15-2.mga5-1-1.mga5
kernel-tmb-desktop-devel-latest-4.1.15-2.mga5
kernel-tmb-desktop-4.1.15-2.mga5-1-1.mga5
kernel-tmb-desktop-latest-4.1.15-2.mga5
kernel-userspace-headers-4.1.15-2.mga5
kernel-doc-4.1.15-2.mga5
kernel-tmb-source-4.1.15-2.mga5-1-1.mga5
kernel-tmb-source-latest-4.1.15-2.mga5

I always install the kernel-source.
Last edited by isadora on Jan 26th, '16, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 27th, '16, 10:16

aa-kk wrote:Now, after last update, with 4.1.15, I went back to using 3.19.8 on it, then I can install the AMD driver.
Maybe 4.1.15 is to new?

To be honest, I've got nearly no clue about ATI and fglrx, or what crimson edition is (they don't even mention it on the page prominently, but anyways) but I think the release notes for 15.7 are pretty clear what the issue is:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst15-7LINReleaseNotes.aspx wrote:System Requirements
Before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver, the following software must be installed:
Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.17)
Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.19)

Same applies for 5.9 and 5.11. Seems you're out of luck there, and you can't use newer kernels if you want to use the fglrx driver. See
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ends-dr ... rds_175672

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby aa-kk » Jan 27th, '16, 13:09

I understand & appreciate your investigation. So what is this Mageia-5 package doing in the repo then?

fglrx-kernel-4.1.15-desktop-2.mga5 - fglrx driver for kernel-desktop-4.1.15-2.mga5​
Prebuilt dkms binary kernel modules for the fglrx driver version 15.200.1046 built for kernel-desktop-4.1.15-2.mga5. (aka AMD 15.7)

So I guess I won't mark this thread as DONE, yet. :)
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 27th, '16, 13:32

They have custom patches allowing them to be built with later kernels. But you already said they don't work for you, I don't get your point:
doktor5000 wrote:The packaged fglrx driver from the repos doesn't work?

aa-kk wrote:No, I've been trying those on-off since, I think, Mageia-1 though. Never worked.
----
doktor5000

Postby aa-kk » Jan 27th, '16, 13:47

I haven't tried because of previous results, while the AMD installer always worked.
But you say that this is a special version? Not reflected in version-nr. or description though. It should, how else would I know?
Maybe I will try.
I guess that ends this thread. I will need to get the Mageia-Fglrx package working or stick with 3.19.8 until a new laptop.

This does get me into a problem though: how will I know what NOT to update due to using kernel 3.19.8 ??
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 28th, '16, 09:42

aa-kk wrote:But you say that this is a special version? Not reflected in version-nr. or description though. It should, how else would I know?

I wrote that it contains special patches to get it to build with newer kernels.
The version number is partly explained in the .spec from which the package is built. E.g. 15.20.1046 is internal actual version number for 15.7

aa-kk wrote:This does get me into a problem though: how will I know what NOT to update due to using kernel 3.19.8 ??

In general most packages aren't depending on the kernel version, so you could also keep using the older kernel, but effectively you won't get security/bugfix updates anymore.
----
doktor5000

Re: [DONE] Cannot install AMD-15.7 on tmb-4.1.5 kernel

Postby yankee495 » Mar 8th, '16, 07:03

Hi,

I've been having problems with the FGLRX driver for a long time that appears mostly as corruption in Chrome. I fixed it once and posted the fix.

Well, it started again so I figured it removed the link I added but it was still there. After months I finally decided to tackle it and after two days I have it working. Maegia uses a patched driver that was meant for kernel 3.19.8 I think it is. I thought if I could build it against my running kernel 4.1.15-desktop-2.mga5 x64 it might work. Many use the Proprietary AMD Catalyst 15.9 (fglrx 15.201) driver and patch it.

There is an article for using it on Fedora 22 with Linux Kernel 4.1.6 here: https://bluehatrecord.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/installing-the-proprietary-amd-catalyst-15-9-fglrx-15-201-driver-on-fedora-22-with-linux-kernel-4-1-6/

Without patching:
That worked but I had problems getting it installed and I didn't use it long. After I got past the version.h error everything was ok, but against, I only used it enough to see if it worked and it didn't appear to have the problems I had before. I moved on to using the Proprietary AMD Crimson driver that they use on Fedora 23 with Linux Kernel 4.2.8 without patching it. That article is here: https://bluehatrecord.wordpress.com/2016/01/10/installing-the-proprietary-amd-crimson-driver-on-fedora-23-with-linux-kernel-4-2-8/

Again, you'll run into the missing version.h file error. I didn't know what this file contained but I figured it out. I forget, but I think it gives an error about the missing version.h file in:

/usr/include/linux/

It could've been another location:

/lib/modules/your kernel name/build/include/linux/

I am sorry, I just plain got confused and am not sure which it was, but when you get the error just make a file called version.h and put this in it.

#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 262415
#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))

That's it. After figuring out what was supposed to be in that file the driver linked below compiles with no patching and appears to work. When you are done installing it be sure and do:

aticonfig --initial

That sets up your xorg.conf file. The articles above are very helpful, but if you use the driver that you do not have to patch, our Xorg doesn't need to be downgraded like on Fedora because we are using Xorg 1.16.4 as of kernel 4.1.15-2. Here is the driver you use if you already know how to install it. Just make the version.h file in the right place, install it and do the aticonfig for your xorg.conf. The Crimson Edition 15.12 driver is here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86_64

That should work. They say that driver will build up to kernel 4.2+ and I haven't tried anything but 4.1.15-2 desktop x64. I don't know much about the TMB kernel but this may work for you. The 15.9 has to be patched and the Crimson Edition 15.12 is fglrx-15.302. That is the same one Mageia uses but the Maegia one is built against the 3.19.8 server kernel. Building it with my kernel seems to have fixed my problems. I'm not an expert, it took a lot of time to get this but now I can switch between the patched 15.9 or the unpatched 15.12 and they both seem to work fine. I'm using the 15.12 now.

AMD is just about to lose a customer. First, when my laptop was only 2 years old they dropped support for it in Catalyst and I hear the newer drivers are dropping my HD6870. That is why Mageia is using a patched driver. My 6870 is no slouch and I see no reason to drop it. Linux is used to revive old computers and I don't like them dropping support for two of my devices in 3 years. I know, we have the open source driver with a major performance hit for my 6870 and I won't stand for it. I'll buy an Nvidia card and be done with them for good. I know their are problems with Nvidia too but I'm sick of battling AMD and I switched my whole architecture from my Phenom II 955 to an I5-3570k and have never been happier. AMD left me no upgrade path, at least not one I was happy with so I sold my AMD parts while they had some value. This i5 is more than double the speed, cooler, less juice and I will not have to upgrade it for a long time.

From what I read the Nvidia driver works on cards as far back as 10 year or more. I'm looking at getting a 750 TI or so that is about the same performance as my 6870. The new Nvidia 900 series cards have "security" features so you can't take high performance firmware from a high end card and flash it into a lower end card. However, the guys working on the open source Nvidia driver say the security features go far far beyond what is needed just to keep you from cross flashing.

I don't want any of this to be construed against Mageia. It's not their fault these drivers don't just work and they work hard to make them run for us. I guess it's that I'm really tired of being a second class computer user behind Windows. Not that Mageia is seconds class but the support from manufactures. I know, there isn't many of us they say. That might change if stuff just worked every time. I buy only OCZ SSD's now too because they fully support Linux with diagnostics and flash utilities. I don't think they do on their cheaper SSD's butthey do on the Vertex 240GB 460's I have, 4 of them now and they are they older 460's, not the 460A's. I got them on clearance for $58 each. I got my wife's R7 Radeon 240GB SSD for $70 and it too was on clearance and has Linux software for it. I thought I'd throw that in there while I was on a rant. Oh, and I know, the R7 SSD is AMD, but it is just AMD branded, it's OCZ/Toshiba under the hood.

Good luck.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary & those who don't.
Main Desktop
http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3960066
yankee495

Postby aa-kk » Mar 9th, '16, 22:04

Thanks you for sharing this info!
aa-kk

Postby pete910 » Mar 11th, '16, 01:04

15.12 builds/works fine though its in the repos too so not sure why using 15.7's
pete910

Postby aa-kk » Mar 11th, '16, 13:41

AMD's 15.7 could not install on to kernel 4.1.x due to no version.h but could on 3.19
AMD's 15.12 did not support my hardware anymore: laptop with Llano-APU (amd website says it does, but during install it said NO)

or something like that.

If I remember right.

These days I am more busy to keep my laptop working due to all the sofware changes than actually using it. VERY ANNOYING
Also I do NOT have money to buy a new one. And finding a good AMD laptop is very difficult.
No Intel? Yes, NO WAY.
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 11th, '16, 20:05

aa-kk wrote:These days I am more busy to keep my laptop working due to all the sofware changes than actually using it. VERY ANNOYING

Software changes as ?
----
doktor5000

Postby claire » Mar 12th, '16, 03:05

You might try the open source radeon driver instead.
Help to make Mageia! Get involved.. Please come and join us
claire

Postby aa-kk » Mar 14th, '16, 16:18

doktor5000 wrote:
aa-kk wrote:These days I am more busy to keep my laptop working due to all the sofware changes than actually using it. VERY ANNOYING

Software changes as ?

Sorry about that. It's all free, so I must not complain. I will try not to anymore.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Mar 14th, '16, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tags
aa-kk

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 14th, '16, 19:39

You could still mention what you're talking about, maybe it's just a misunderstanding, or an issue that should be fixed or ...
----
doktor5000

Re: Cannot install AMD-15.7 on tmb-4.1x or 4.4 kernel

Postby aa-kk » Jun 24th, '16, 19:06

I have unDONE this thread, unfortunately.

What I am talking about? Like:
I suppose I will need to move to grub2 someday. but I hate it.
- non-logical to me
- not just a text file to edit.
nothing wrong with grub1, why replace it?

- with kernel 4.1 or 4.4 there is version.h errror. is fixed but still a DKMS error SO: still using amd15.7+3.19kernel
- maybe opensource OK. will it run as fast? support for OpenGL same as amd15.7? Yes, for SteamGames.
- I guess I need to remove/revert KMS setting in kernel boot-line to test it....
- does it support both cards in my laptop? (APU + DGPU ?)
aa-kk

Re: Cannot install AMD-15.7 on tmb-4.1x or 4.4 kernel

Postby aa-kk » Jun 24th, '16, 19:15

DKMS error = it does not compile !
aa-kk

Return to Video