Catalyst 15.7 install?

Catalyst 15.7 install?

Postby Etherflyer » Jul 11th, '15, 06:05

I was wondering if anyone would help me with a step by step scrub instructions to install the new Catalyst driver on Mageia 5 including starting from after extracting the .run file to any headers or additional files I need to grab. Seems to be slightly different than I'm used to in other distros or I'm just that scrubby(especially due to it being more picky on sudo rights seemingly). Either way help appreciated and much kudos in advance for the help!
Etherflyer

Re: Catalyst 15.7 install?

Postby martinw » Jul 11th, '15, 10:34

The 15.7 driver has been packaged for Mageia and is currently in testing. Easiest thing would be to wait for it to be released, but if you are impatient (and prepared to take a chance on a not-fully-tested package) you can enable the "nonfree updates testing" repository and install from there. Note that due to AMDs rather strange version numbering scheme, the actual version number for Catalyst 15.7 is 15.200.1046. Do remember to disable the "nonfree updates testing" repository after installing the package, otherwise you may pick up things you don't want when you next update your system.
martinw

Postby pete910 » Jul 11th, '15, 11:42

martinw wrote:The 15.7 driver has been packaged for Mageia and is currently in testing. Easiest thing would be to wait for it to be released, but if you are impatient (and prepared to take a chance on a not-fully-tested package) you can enable the "nonfree updates testing" repository and install from there. Note that due to AMDs rather strange version numbering scheme, the actual version number for Catalyst 15.7 is 15.200.1046. Do remember to disable the "nonfree updates testing" repository after installing the package, otherwise you may pick up things you don't want when you next update your system.

Good news, Saves alot of time/messing .

I'll remove the 15.7 and test it the package

Edit:

Quick test all seems good, ran valley benchmark + luxmark (opencl)

valley Extreme HD pre-set(8xAA) score 2241
luxmark sala score 3045

The boost that AMD has managed in the 15.5's and a tad more in the 15.7's is quite remarkable . especially in Metro/dying light and what not.

Seems having a dig/nag at AMDMatt for the last 6mth on overclockers forum has paid off :D

Posted on the GOL forums as well as Phoronix my findings.
pete910

Postby Etherflyer » Jul 11th, '15, 18:10

Really? Thats awesome last time i asked I was told I waa stuck with 14.12 omega til Mageia 6 as far as prebuilt packages went. This is way better. :) So if i was super patient and just did normal nontesting updates will it eventually replace what gets installed when you select proprietary driver from the control center?
Etherflyer

Postby pete910 » Jul 12th, '15, 15:31

Etherflyer wrote:Really? Thats awesome last time i asked I was told I waa stuck with 14.12 omega til Mageia 6 as far as prebuilt packages went. This is way better. :) So if i was super patient and just did normal nontesting updates will it eventually replace what gets installed when you select proprietary driver from the control center?

Yes, As soon as its out of testing it will be in the updates repo, your system will automatically update to it.
pete910

Return to Video