Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby Germ » Feb 25th, '20, 13:06

Welcome! :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby Ferro » Mar 2nd, '20, 17:30

Hello everyone! I am new here and would love to meet new people. My name in John, I am 30 years young and live in my property in Italy. Weather is amazing but people are kind of worried about the virus part
Ferro

Postby benmc » Mar 2nd, '20, 21:58

hi Ferro

and welcome to Mageia.

enjoy the company, we are very welcoming

regards
benmc

Postby JerareYoshi » Mar 14th, '20, 17:18

Hi ! I'm french and i started Linux in mid 2017 with Ubuntu. I rapidly learned command line and tested a lot of other distribution. I installed mageia 7.1 with KDE Plasma yesterday and upgraded to Cauldron. Mageia run well on my machine :D (CPU: Intel i3 GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5770).

Ubuntu and Manjaro make strange decisions those days (with snap packages, OnlyOffice). I'm interested in rpm distributions so i first tested fedora and OpenSUSE. I like the idea of OpenSUSE with the installer and a control center but it feels bloated with yast2, OBS and the fact that you can't install with the liveCD ISO file. Then i found Mageia. The installer and the control center are less bloated. It is stable even with Cauldron (Plasma 5.18.2).

I think Mageia have potential, even if sometime there are difficulties (for example the Mageia 7 release). It's not a big community but i'll talk about Mageia with others. I can report bugs, translate from english to french, doing documentation and promotion for the Mageia project.
JerareYoshi

Postby benmc » Mar 17th, '20, 20:16

hi JerareYoshi and welcome to Mageia.

JerareYoshi wrote:I think Mageia have potential, even if sometime there are difficulties (for example the Mageia 7 release). It's not a big community but i'll talk about Mageia with others. I can report bugs, translate from english to french, doing documentation and promotion for the Mageia project.

any and all contributions gratefully received ;)
have a look here:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Internationa ... Team_(i18n)
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation_team

so, sign up for the mailing lists and join the IRC channels.

Again, welcome, and enjoy using Mageia.
hint: Cauldron, while seeming very stable, can toss its toys out of the toy-box and sulk, so take a snapshot regularly.
or live on the wild side, and see how well you can recover a sulking system
benmc

Postby linuxisbest » Mar 27th, '20, 01:23

Joining this site was harder than opening a bank account overseas. I understand not wanting spam but I'm sure the bots have an easier time registering. lol
linuxisbest

Postby isadora » Mar 28th, '20, 22:04

Good thing you succeeded though. :)
Welcome and have magical times around.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby rpil » Apr 10th, '20, 19:50

Hello, I'm rpil, linux user for about 14 years. I started with Ubuntu Ultimate, Elive, OpenGEU (yes, I'm an enlightenment lover!!) and later, Sabayon, Gentoo (for 10 years) and much more distros, and now, here I am, in Mageia.
My first impression is good. We'll see...
;)
rpil

Postby benmc » Apr 16th, '20, 01:27

hello rpil and welcome to Mageia.

interesting journey. I started in about 1999 with Mandrake, progressed to Mandriva and then on to Mageia.
I have dabbled with Debian and offspring, but for me they just dont jell.

If you want to continue with Enlightenment DE, it is available from the repos.

just open a root terminal and run:
Code: Select all
urpmi task-enlightenment

you will need to logout and then choose Enlightenment from the greeter menu.

cheers
benmc

Postby rpil » Apr 22nd, '20, 19:49

Thank you my friend, benmc. As I see, you are a real Mandrake/Mandriva kid! ;)
I've already installed enlightenment. It's not in its lastest version, but it's ok for my themes.
rpil

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 28th, '20, 06:16

feeLfreEtOintroducEyourselF.png
feeLfreEtOintroducEyourselF.png (42.9 KiB) Viewed 9154 times

All right I will.
isadora wrote:
Like a new house that has just been handed out to it's new owners.

- - - - - - sniP!
Be part of the Mageia forum and share the magic!!!

Ya know what I'd like that. But I gotta warn you as much as I like Mageia I've got a writing project that takes most of my computer time, Usually anyway. But I saw the warning signs and if I didn't spend some time with a networked upgrade from Mageia6 I was gonna wind up with a broken system. Anyway I'm happy to report that the hardest part was having to reread the help on getting the google chrome repo back and working.
Anyway I'm back till my writing muse makes me think of the storyline again...
I gotta tell you there's some great people that hang around in these forums, like they got nothing better to do than help people. And for certain they don't get to hear "Thank you!" enough. I was just reminded of that by the way one "Doctor5000" just helped me with the fact that on my old dell laptop, yeah like everthing else I still got, it's old, and been migrating my running Mageia system without fresh install since mga4, so it's no shame that it's gpg was nolonger cooperating with pinentry. Anyway he helped me and practiclay held my hand until it started working. I tell you the man is tireless. Well I say man because at 64 I can get away with making that assumption, All I know is if you need help learning Mageia you'll find out it's worth listening to what Doctor5000 tells you.
So don't nobody be nervous because you might be new. There is help!

I did have one other problem that was vexing me on my old desktop. But I found my own solution to the fact that xscreensaver kept forgetting to suspend my screen. it would blank it on schedule, but if my hands weren't quick enough to stop it, I got to see the sony monitor complain about no input, and go really dark.
I have it set to blank the screen at about 20 minutes. Then a few seconds later it was supposed to go into that energy star mode. But half the time I'd come back from grabbing a cup of tea and it would still be glowing around the edges... Not every time mind you. But I couldn't trust it. So having been around a few years there are sometimes things my CRS doesn't keep me from finding my old crib notes for. Now I don't bother running the xscreensaver daemon I manage it with xset and a simple script I cobbled together.
#! /bin/bash
# jss a personal shell script by Joe Philbrook copyright 2020
# to index and deploy various xset screensaver/powermanagement commands
# Note I just cobbled this together today Sat Jun 27 2020 and I've only
# done minimal testing on one old hp pavilion but it's been working for me
# But obviously if I'm going to post it in a forum I'm granting anyone who
# might want to, permission to use it. But remember this isn't even beta
# software. Use at your own risk!
# first we list options
echo "now    to force imeadiate screen suspend with:
      xset dpms force suspend

off    to disable screen blanking with:
   xset -dpms s off

on    to re-enable screen blanking (defaults) with:
   xset +dpms s on

f   for a fast delay for dpms standby/suspend/(but not)off with:
   xset dpms 300 320 0 s 295 0

s   for the standard delay for dpms standby/suspend/(but not)off with:
   xset dpms 1260 1320 0 s 1255 0

x   for an eXtended delay for dpms standby/suspend/(but not)off with:
   xset dpms 7260 7320 0 s 7255 0

q   to display current settings and exit with:
   xset dpms q

"
read DoWhat
case $DoWhat in
   no*|nO*|No*|NO*) xset dpms force suspend;;
   of*|Of*|OF*) xset -dpms s off;;
   on*|ON*) xset +dpms s on;;
   f*|F*) xset dpms 300 320 0 s 295 0;;
   s*|S*) xset dpms 1260 1320 0 s 1255 0;;
   x*|X*) xset dpms 7260 7320 0 s 7255 0;;
   q*|Q*) xset dpms q;;
   *) echo "answer ambiguous... aborting";;
esac
exit

You see the thing about me is that I'm somewhat better at thinking outside the box. But if I have to try to think inside the box, you can be sure either my stubborn streak or my CRS will get in the way.
Oh, in case you don't know, CRS stands for "Can't Remember Sh^Htuff"
Which in my case means that if I don't do it the same way every durned day, Then I usually wind up scratching my head growning about how much of a hard time I have groking things like man or info documents, or I'm ashamed to admit, most wiki systems too. But some things I do grok so if I happen to know something that could help, it will probably be in some non standard way. But heck, my ideas should at least be good for a laugh anyway.

And as long as I'm on this self introduction soap box I might as well tell you that I'm not multi-booting as many Linux distros as I used to. But I still boot the ones I do to that multi-user target sometimes called runlevel three. Then when and if I'm ready to wrestle with the gui I use startx, I don't allow a display manager to decide how I login. And I prefer to do that in a console.
But my computer knows who I am before the gui cranks up. When it does I'm running openbox as a window manager. That is without an actual desktop environment. Though I borrow applications from whichever ones I like. I used to like kde until kde4 tried to tell me how to organise my brain. I've got 12 desktop area's, one for every function key, and I certainly know which one my story editor is running in. Thanks to a script I found posted on linuxmint forum by garolou, every one of my 12 desktop areas has it's own "wallpaper". Which helps me to know which one I'm on, when I come back with the frozen dairy product and wake my computer up. My favorite text editor is vim and the midnight commander is the only file manager I'll ever like. Anyone who wants to ask me almost anything even remotely conected to Magia Linux is welcome to reply to this post. Whether your dumb enough to think I might know something useful. Or to tell me why I'm wrong about something.
Now I know I sometimes come over like a knowitall even when I don't know fact one. But you see it wouldn't bother me if you told me so, because I don't expect to know everything. In fact I know for sure that I don't. You see if I actualy knew everything then I'd know I was an idiot. And somehow, I just don't seem to know that...
Any way feel free to give me a shout. I'll likely still be haunting the forum every now and again. Oh, I think I hear my muse calling, desktop 4 here I come,
See Ya
--
mvjap3
mvjap3

Postby isadora » Jun 28th, '20, 13:45

Some amusing intro i have to admit.

Praising doktor5000 in itself is well-deserved, yes sir. :)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 28th, '20, 20:11

isadora wrote:Some amusing intro i have to admit.

Yeah, but at my age if you can't laugh at youself your gonna wind up crying. And laughing is ever so much more fun. ;-7
Aside from being long enough to prove I'm one of those people who simply doesn't run out of words, :-{} I did include a simple interactive xset script that really could be useful if someone else had a problem with:
xscreensaver-5.42-1.mga7.tainted.src.rpm
intermitently failing to suspend their monitor...

Praising doktor5000 in itself is well-deserved, yes sir. :)

I thought so. Even if I hadn't noticed it was with a k not a c..., I mean doktor5000 is tireless when helping someone figure it out.
Anyway my solutions, if any, tend to be outside the box. But if somebody needs a temporary work around. It could happen that the non-standard way I run my linux box, just might have a way to do what is needed until their regular method starts working again. So it'sworth noting that if someone does want to know how I do something, everything I post has a button for a private message to me, and for a kind of email link. If they reach out to me I'll tell them what I can. even if the message is: "Sorry, no clue...."
--
mvjap3
mvjap3

Postby Vanitarium » Aug 9th, '20, 09:07

Hiya, I have started with Mageia after many years on MacOS and linux distros as well as BSD stuff.
I would define myself a bit of a tinkerer and have assembled my own computers recently (can't call them hackies, but that's what they are). So far I have made two. Then I played with a raspi and a tinkerboard to create a vintage Amiga game kit.
Originally (1969) graduated as Mechanical ingenieur and then phd in metallurgy and cast metals.
Born in Chile, lived in England,France and finally Scotland.
Will try and test my AMD Ryzen laptop with mageia cauldron on Gnome.
I am not a developer, just been using computers since 1970s. Bit of nostalgia:
IBM mainframe-ACT Sirius1 PC-IBM PC -Oric-Amiga...

OS I have used from MS-DOS to MacOS now.
I look forward to help Mageia to become number one..... :roll: ;) :idea: :!: :!:
ASUS Zenbook Flip 14 UM462DA with AMD RYZEN 5 3500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8
Vanitarium

Postby jeevanism » Aug 9th, '20, 14:42

Warm welcome to the Magic World :)
Last edited by isadora on Aug 9th, '20, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting the former message is not appropriate
jeevanism

Postby isadora » Aug 9th, '20, 15:01

Welcome and thanks for your detailed introduction Vanitarium.

I look forward to help Mageia to become number one..... :roll: ;) :idea: :!: :!:

A good starter for those having intentions to have hands on:
https://www.mageia.org/contribute/

Meanwhile i wish you magical times around, arriving at the brink of a new release. :)

isadora

Postby PolarBear » Aug 31st, '20, 09:47

Hello, I have been using linux for more than 10 years, and other linux distributions.

Mageia being the most successful, the boot grub being the most accomplished and the most worked out (since version 6 of mageia ), I hope it will remain like that for a long time.
Contest | The best grub is the one of mageia (since version6 mageia)
PolarBear

Postby isadora » Aug 31st, '20, 13:00

A warm welcome PolarBear, magical times are around for you, now you have joined the Mageia community. :)
And you can even be more part of the magic by contributing in many ways.
Give it a read, and maybe there is a discipline to your choice.
https://www.mageia.org/contribute/

isadora

Postby Dlrobin874 » Oct 4th, '20, 16:09

Hi everyone!

Pretty new to Mageia, not really that new to Linux. Started out on Fedora Core 6 back in the day, used a mixture of Fedora and Ubuntu for a while (although I distrohopped a lot and still do somewhat). Quit Linux while I was in college (too much stuff I needed Mac/Windows only software for to make it worthwhile to dual boot), but Windows got too slow for my Thinkpad to still run comfortably so I'm back on Linux. Mostly using it just for web stuff and being able to import/edit photos when I'm travelling (Lightroom is too expensive and Adobe is... bad).

So how'd I end up here? Most other distros just seem to annoy me a little. Fedora was probably my other front runner but some releases are great, others are pretty rough. Wanted something more up to date than Debian (plus there seems to be a lot of drama in the Debian community right now...) (that, and .deb packaging seems needlessly complicated if I ever get time to contribute) Tried Tumbleweed but got tired of downloading 500MB of updates every other day. So, even though it seems like Mageia doesn't get a lot of widespread recognition, maybe that's a good thing.

In real life I live in the US, and when I'm not playing with open source software, I do music, photography, and various outdoors stuff as well.
Dlrobin874

Postby isadora » Oct 4th, '20, 19:47

Great to have you in at Mageia. :)

After all your experiences in Linux-universe i hope you find your planet of choice in Mageia and it's community.

Wish you magical times. :)

isadora

Postby mijarena » Oct 15th, '20, 12:41

Hi there

I'm Mia, 50 years old, statrted Linux with SLS and Kernel 0.96 back in 1992.
Tried a lot of distris: LST , Caldera, S.u.S.E, SLS, Red Hat, Mandrake, Manjaro, elemantaryOS, Raspbian, Debian, Gentoo, LFS ...
I endend up with S.u.S.E, SuSE, openSuSE, openSUSE. Well, I also worked for S.u.S.E and SuSE a couple of years. I always tried a lot of other distributions but alwas came back to SUSE... till last year. Then my search started for a new distribution. SUSE went downhill a couple of years ago and it was the time to say goodbye.

Well, as a long time sysadministress I looked for a new home where I can also contribute an participate.

So I found this nice home for an experienced linux witch.

Mijarena
mijarena

Postby isadora » Oct 15th, '20, 17:26

I hope this nice home will feel good for long times ahead.
Wish you magical times with Mageia and our community. :)

isadora

Postby morgano » Oct 15th, '20, 21:04

Welcome Mia
Same age as me, but double that may years using Linux, impressive.
I see from bug reports on zypper you have a head start, keep it up :)

Are you on a mailing list?
See contributors corner at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Main_Page
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby mijarena » Oct 15th, '20, 22:19

No, I have a two month old bugreport for changing my email. When it is done I will join the mailinglist. ;)
mijarena

Postby aleximon » Oct 25th, '20, 15:30

Hi!
I'm Alejandro, from Rosario, Argentina. I'm electronic engineer and teacher.
I started trying different flavors of linux around 2000, always as a game, a fun.
Slackware was my favorite distribution for years, but using friendlier distros, like Zenwalk or SalixOS. At the same time, I was testing and learning about other distros.
Some time ago I installed Mageia 6 on my secondary computer and I really liked it a lot.
I just installed Mageia 7 on my work notebook and I am very happy.
While I wait for version 8, I look forward to contributing to this community.
Greetings!
aleximon

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board