Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby Germ » Oct 18th, '16, 16:34

Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:

Glad you're liking it!
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby benmc » Oct 18th, '16, 20:44

hello johnr and Grabo.

Welcome to Mageia!

Grabo: all contributions welcome
benmc

Postby xboxboy » Oct 18th, '16, 23:36

Welcome Johnr and Grabo

Glad your liking what you see. It's a very friendly community around here, the mailing lists and on the irc channels.

Johnr, let me know if you find anywhere doing shirts/hoodies. I remember doktor5000 mentioning something about a cafepress site, but I don't think it ever got any traction.
xboxboy

Postby Grabo » Oct 20th, '16, 15:30

Thank you, first impressions count and all indications support that. My kind of people. Ran into a big problem (to me), but I'll talk to you about that on Basic Support.
Grabo

Hello

Postby francescobat » Oct 23rd, '16, 22:59

Hi !
I am new here.
I have Mageia in my pc desktop (dual boot with pclinuxos and peppermint 7) and in my wife notebook :)
Bye ;)
Francesco bat
francescobat

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 24th, '16, 04:35

Welcome to Mageia, I've merged your introduction into the general welcome thread :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby skylion » Nov 17th, '16, 17:55

Hello!
I am SkyLion (Sorry, i really don't feel comfortable putting my real name on the internet).
I'm actually quite new to linux. I've started using it in September 2015 and my first distro was Ubuntu MATE.
I started distro hopping a lot with mostly Ubuntu based distros in mind but one day i stumbled upon Mageia and immediately fell in love with it.
Even though there were quite a bit of bugs, i found a fix for them. And here i am now still using it as my main OS :D
skylion

Postby isadora » Nov 17th, '16, 23:00

Thanks for introducing skylion, and a very warm welcome!!!! :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby dudeskie » Dec 16th, '16, 02:57

hi guys, i am new to this forum. i am from the Philippines. i've been distro hopping for the past few months (actually years) but i'm stucked on windows OSes due to applications that i need to run. anyway, i've just recently installed mageia 5.1 after testing several distros on my basic laptop. not to boast up, i just found it sleek and sexy according to my needs. i have tried numerous flavors/derivatives/spin-offs of ubuntu, fedra, debian, freebsd, pcbsd, etc.. the latest testings i made were on fastcomputer linux from (opensuse-based i think) and scientific linux. the FClinux is not polished yet and much of the hardwares of my laptop were not functioning well (at least to my expectations) and scientific linux constantly fails on accessing my old external hard disk where my delicate files are located. having tried this mageia 5.1 distro, my needs are satisfied. by the way, i stay away with windows distro (but i had my apps intended for windows, so running it using wine in mageia didn't gave me headache). for now, i have just tested it for 2 days yet and no other inconveniences had surfaced except for this audio problem in multimedia playing (vlc, xine, smplayer). i'm still hooking up on some forum topics where i can try on my problem. anyway, so much for the lengthy intro (i apologize for that one), i hope everybody guys here are much friendly and i can learn more about this promising linux distro.
happy computing everyone!
-- The next time the devil reminds you of your past, remind him of his future. --
dudeskie

Postby Germ » Dec 16th, '16, 17:26

Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby icemanw » Jan 17th, '17, 17:21

Hi I'm from Brazil. I work with linux since 2005. I am a Systems Analyst. I would like to be beta tester. :D
icemanw

Postby benmc » Jan 18th, '17, 21:05

Hi icemanw and welcome to Mageia
icemanw wrote:I would like to be beta tester. :D

Have a look here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team,

I am sure you will be warmly welcomed if / when you join the team.
benmc

Postby morgano » May 28th, '17, 10:42

(If wondering about the time gap before this post: this forum have been off line for a while viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11715 )
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby owenm » Aug 1st, '17, 07:21

Hi, I'm owen and I live in South Australia. I first started using mandriva a long time ago - 2000/2005? Progressed through gtk and now Qt.
Mageia 6 is great on my Lenovo Ideapad; everything installed OK and it works like a charm.
Except for Qt compiles when the linker bombs (/bin/ld: main.o: unrecognized relocation (0x2a) in section `.text'). Which forum should I ask for help?
Cheers
owenm

Postby luksch » Aug 4th, '17, 22:08

Hi,

I'm Lukas. I live in Lower Austria, but study software engineering in Upper Austria. Besides, I work as software engineer as side job.

I discovered Mageia via distrowatch :D and since the release of Mageia 6 I am using it as my primary system.
luksch

Postby isadora » Aug 4th, '17, 22:27

A very warm welcome to the Mageia forum Lukas/luksch!!! :)
Just read your blog-post at: https://www.churchwood.at/posts/trying-out-mageia/
Very pleasant reading, hope you keep getting involved and have magical times with all at Mageia!!! :)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby isadora » Aug 4th, '17, 22:30

owenm wrote:Hi, I'm owen and I live in South Australia. I first started using mandriva a long time ago - 2000/2005? Progressed through gtk and now Qt.
Mageia 6 is great on my Lenovo Ideapad; everything installed OK and it works like a charm.
Except for Qt compiles when the linker bombs (/bin/ld: main.o: unrecognized relocation (0x2a) in section `.text'). Which forum should I ask for help?
Cheers

Hello and very welcome to the Mageia-forum owenm!!! :)
Glad to hear about your positive experiences with our distribution.

Concerning your question: please open up a topic in "Basic support".

Wish you all the best and magical times with Mageia!!! :)

isadora

Postby luciferwatson » Aug 30th, '17, 13:53

Hi all,

I woke up bored this morning so I did my usual trick of installing a random distro from the distro watch top 100. My D100 gave me 19 which at the time was Mageia. So here I am, a few hours later looking at a Plasma set up identical to my previous one, one day I'll find a look that I prefer. The installation went very smoothly and I only suffered a couple of minor gotchas when setting my system up; adding my name servers and a command not found in my startup script. Both of which were easily sorted out.

To be honest, the whole process was almost too easy :mrgreen:
luciferwatson

Postby isadora » Aug 30th, '17, 21:22

Lucifer, like in lightbringer, and Mageia brought you light there today it seems.

A very warm welcome luciferwatson in the Mageia-community.
Play around with your new choice, have fun and have questions or suggestions.
You will always find us here to support, and we give you all opportunities to have your creativity fulfilled.

Have magical times around!!!!! :)

isadora

Postby prairiedad » Sep 29th, '17, 18:04

Hello all,

I'm an old-timer, both at life (in my 60's) and *nix/*nux, back 35 years or so to BSD and then on from there in many iterations. I've looked at Mageia from time to time, after also using...gosh, many, many, tens of distros, some better, some worse. But I'm a great Francophile (et francophone) and wanted to stay away from the corporate stuff...Windoze, Mac, even Red Hat, SuSE, Canonical, etc. So happy to give Mageia a real shot again...everything about it looks good to me.

Currently running the Plasma and LXDE versions in VMs, and will almost certainly start up a Cauldron VM as well, and see how you all manage development. May find time to be a tester, too. I like Xfce and dislike Gnome...Mate is fine with me, also to drink!

Always happy to chat, trilingual in English/German/French and happy to _try_ in Dutch or Italian or Spanish...I love a multilingual community.

Best regards,

The PrairieDad
prairiedad

Postby xboxboy » Oct 4th, '17, 00:05

Welcome to the community PrairieDad
xboxboy

Postby EMDIII » Oct 17th, '17, 03:34

Hello, my name is Ed. I have always thought about trying a Linux OS but never had a need until now. So I decided to install Mageia 6. So far not off to a good start but I think this is the perfect place to get up and running.

I'm in no way a computer expert so I'm not sure Mageia will be a good fit, I hope it is.

Ed Doyle
EMDIII

Postby AlBell » Nov 3rd, '17, 06:32

Hi!
My first OS was MsDos 6, around 1991. :mrgreen:
I started using Linux at the end of the 90's, initially with RedHat and after (having tried BSD, Suse and a few more distributions) with Mandrake during some years.
For several years i returned to Windows because of the damn games, and it was a great adventure with XP (completely personalized) and successively 7 (which i found pretty well built) but I hate the OEM licenses!
After a total hardware change, I've decided to return to Linux, forever, for freedom, and I've chosen Mageia as the natural successor of my old preferred distribution.
(And I have a virtualized freeDos for the 80's nostalgia...)
AlBell

Postby marja » Nov 8th, '17, 15:19

prairiedad wrote:Always happy to chat, trilingual in English/German/French and happy to _try_ in Dutch or Italian or Spanish...I love a multilingual community.

Hi PrairieDad, welcome (and also welcome to all who have introduced themselves here, but whom I never replied to!),

Nice that you love so many languages, so do I (even if I never learnt Italian, apart from a few words). and that you have so much *nix/*nux experience. I only started around 2000, with Caldera, then RedHat 6 and then Mandrake 8.1, after which I stayed with Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia

I hope you're still enjoying Mageia and that your found time, or will find time, to become a tester. QA team never has too many testers ;-)
marja

Postby marja » Nov 8th, '17, 16:56

EMDIII wrote:Hello, my name is Ed. I have always thought about trying a Linux OS but never had a need until now. So I decided to install Mageia 6. So far not off to a good start but I think this is the perfect place to get up and running.

I'm in no way a computer expert so I'm not sure Mageia will be a good fit, I hope it is.

Ed Doyle

Welcome, Ed, and no need to be an expert. Don't hesitate to check our documentation in the wiki and on https://doc.mageia.org and to ask in the forums if anything is unclear.

Cheers,
Marja
marja

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board