Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby Germ » Feb 22nd, '16, 13:00

Welcome to Mageia! :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xboxboy » Feb 22nd, '16, 23:47

wizardfromoz wrote:Gidday, I am from Australia, hence the userid.

..... I am only now learning about Terminal commands at Konsole, so I may have a few questions.

Cheers

wizardfromoz

Hi, welcome to Mageia. There are a few aussie's lurking around here, I'm one of them. You can join us in irc also, sadly irc's a bit thin on users during our day time. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_IRC_Channels

Edited for spelling
xboxboy

Postby wizardfromoz » Feb 23rd, '16, 06:35

Ta very much. I haven't used IRC for 20 years so will have a learning curve, but I have one less question to ask now that I have worked out how to add myself to the sudoers file, and stop getting threatened with being reported, lol.
wizardfromoz

Postby isadora » Feb 23rd, '16, 13:42

Welcome wizardfromoz to the magical universe called Mageia!!!! :)

For any queries please use the appropriate (sub-)forums, thanks ahead.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby laidlaws » Feb 27th, '16, 20:37

My name is Doug, 73 years old, and I live in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. I have used Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia exclusively since I discovered the OS. My first distro was an incomplete version of Mandrake on the cover of a small booklet describing Mandrake, Red Hat and Ximian. I use Linux in preference to Windows, unless I believe that Windows will do the job better. Wine and Crossover Office are improving all the time, but they still have limitations. I am active on the alt.os.linux.mageia newsgroup. My current computer is a Gigabyte motherboard with Intel CPU, running Mageia 5, dual-booted with Windows 10. I would like to contribute more, but health issues make me rather unreliable.
laidlaws

Postby isadora » Feb 27th, '16, 21:07

Laidlaws, you must have broken a record.
Introduction after contributing in over a hundred messages. :)

I love it, and you already know, how things go around at Mageia.
The magic in supporting Mageia is, you drive your own agenda, support how and when you like.

Wish you well laidlaws, have magical times around and lots of strength concerning your health-issues!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby xboxboy » Feb 28th, '16, 07:04

laidlaws wrote:My name is Doug, 73 years old, and I live in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. I have used Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia exclusively since I discovered the OS. .....

I would like to contribute more, but health issues make me rather unreliable.

Another Aussie user here also. I'm sure the documentation team would love your help :) https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation_team
xboxboy

Finally taken the plunge :)

Postby sarar » Mar 23rd, '16, 20:05

Hello,
Very much a Linux newcomer here. I've been wanting to "learn Linux" since I was an undergrad but never quite got around to it. Wrote my PhD thesis in LaTeX and then I got into bioinformatics (=manipulating GB--TB of data from DNA sequencing), which usually relies on running stuff from the command line in Linux. So over the last two years I've been working in Ubuntu and Bio-Linux more and more and also used Lubuntu to rescue an old laptop.

Although I've been fairly happy with the Ubuntu-based distros (I guess I don't really know enough to be unhappy with them), I came across Mageia and just liked the sound of it, so decided to try it out and so far so good! Besides using distros from different backgrounds will hopefully push me along the learning curve a bit more. :)
sarar

Postby Germ » Mar 23rd, '16, 21:06

Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xboxboy » Mar 24th, '16, 02:12

Welcome Sarar.

Sounds like you can work your way around linux a bit. Mageia is a fantastic combo, as almost everything can be done through GUI using Mageia Control Centre, but at the same time everything is in place for low level configuration and developing.

Enjoy the distro, you'll find the mageia community one of the best on the net.
xboxboy

Postby sarar » Mar 24th, '16, 13:45

Thanks Germ and xboxboy!

I think a lot of biologists are still scared of Linux because noone ever tells you that you can use do most of the everyday stuff by 'clicking buttons'. Which is a real shame, since it doesn't highlight the ease of use of modern Linux and your a lot less likely to really mess things up if you stick to the GUI. Whenever I've been to a "very basics of Linux" session or gone through a tutorial it's always been straigt to the terminal. Which is great for learning how to run the bioinformatics scripts, but I didn't even know there was a GUI file manager or a graphical software manager!

That said, I quite like learning how to do stuff from the command line, especially if it saves time. Most of the bioinformatics scripts I use are based on Python, but I don't get on very well with Python, so instead I've been slowly making my way through the book "Unix and Perl to the rescue!", mainly for the fun of it. :)
sarar

Postby masonm » Apr 18th, '16, 03:32

Hello. I've been using Linux since the first release of Slackware way back when. I used Mandrake for a while but Slack was always my primary OS. These days Arch is my primary OS.

I installed Mageia on a spare partition out of curiosity after seeing a bit of buzz about it on the net. So far I'm fairly impressed with it.

As for myself, I'm a 54 year old American long haul truck driver mostly hauling oversize loads like firetrucks and the like, as well as a long time tech geek.Not really much else to say.
masonm

Postby Germ » Apr 18th, '16, 16:31

Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xboxboy » Apr 19th, '16, 01:57

Hi masonm.

Welcome, it seems many of us had a start with mandrake. I'm yet to see a distro outside of the mandrake legacy develop anything near as good as MCC for administering a linux box. It's a brilliant piece of software, the guys wrote something magical there, and TV that wrote it (along with others) is still very active in developing mageia.
xboxboy

Postby finkel » Apr 19th, '16, 23:24

Finkel Rabbit. Mandrake, Mandriva, Mageia user.

Keep up the good work!
finkel

Postby benmc » Apr 20th, '16, 01:44

Hi finkel and welcome to Mageia

Similar Mageia journey as yours, mine started around 2000.
benmc

Postby finkel » Apr 20th, '16, 02:26

Yeah, mine started 1997, 98, or was it 2000, don't remember ... Came from RedHat Linux. With KDE, a major usability improvement.
finkel

Postby paulz » Apr 24th, '16, 10:45

Hello, I installed Megeia 5 only about 12 hours ago. I was interested in it because I've got a new (refurbished) laptop, which is a Compaq Presario CQ57 http://www.theverge.com/products/presario-cq57/758

I'm not new to Linux by any means. I've been using Ubuntu since early 2010 and Mint since early 2015, but I found that Ubuntu updates often broke down, requiring different techniques to repair them, although Linux Mint says you mustn't update, just back up all your data then do a clean installation of a later version. Before that I had a break of several years not using Linux because my Windows XP Media Center Edition laptop soon filled up with media files before I could install Linux and before that I had some problems with Windows and LInux installations on a desktop PC, then had to pay someone to fix it, leaving only Windows installed.

Previously to the problems listed above, I had installed and used Red Hat, Ultimate, and Linux Mandrake, which I suppose almost everyone reading this knows is the ancestor of Mageia. I remember that Linux Mandrake had a very nice user friendly, graphical installer, so I wanted to try Mageia due to the user friendliness associated with Mandrake, as well as it being descended from Red Hat, because I've recently been using only the Debian based Ubuntu and Mint. First of all, I installed Linux Mint 17.3 KDE 64 bit over a week ago and downloaded lots of video torrents. Yesterday, I resized my Linux Mint partition down to about 250Gb of my 500Gb hard drive, so I could install Mageia 5 on the other 250Gb.

Unfortunately, I've already had lots of problems using Mageia, which I'll have to post separate topics about. I think things have already gone so wrong that I'll have to re install it. To sum up, these problems are...

1. My laptop refuses to install the 64 bit version of Mageia, so I've had to use a 32 bit version
2. I gave Megeia roughly 250Gb of my 500Gb hard drive, but now it says there's only 39.9Mb free and it reported only about 23Mb free before that!
3. My Linux Mint partition has become unbootable and unreadable
4. I downloaded six video torrents (each single videos not series) to replace the ones on Linux Mint which I couldn't read, but then found that there was no sound because the sound in all of them is M4A AAC, but Linux Mint could play them immediately. I tried to fix this using Terminal commands based on answers already given, such as typing "drakrpm-edit-media --expert", but I just keep getting messages such as "getting exclusive lock on urpmi" and "unlocking urpmi database". I feel that typing a command ending in expert isn't a good idea less than 24 hours after I installed Mageia and don't know much about it.

I feel that I'll soon have to re install Linux Mint and Mageia, then I hope I can find my way back to this forum, even if it's from Linux Mint.
paulz

Postby benmc » Apr 25th, '16, 23:19

Hello Paulz and welcome to Mageia.

paulz wrote:"drakrpm-edit-media --expert"
should have presented a GUI to enable online repositories.
"getting exclusive lock on urpmi " when the GUi is presented, "unlocking urpmi database" when you closed the GUI.
paulz wrote:2.
If you chose Automatic partitioning during install, the installer will have created partitions of: (/) about 50Gb, (/swap) about 5Gb, (/home) about 195Gb
Where are you saving your downloaded torrents to?

paulz wrote:I feel that I'll soon have to re install Linux Mint and Mageia
I see from one of your posts that your HDD is MBR scheme partitioned. If you are re-installing it would probably be a good idea to change to GPT partitioning scheme.

Please have a good read of the Mageia Welcome pages.

regarding the AAC issue, please do a search on the forum, there are a few postings regarding this.
benmc

Postby paulz » Apr 27th, '16, 18:50

After about 24 hours of struggling and frustration caused by Mageia, I reinstalled Linux Mint taking up the whole hard drive. I can't cope with Mageia, because it just causes unnecessary stress. My torrent videos were probably all corrupted as soon as I installed Mageia. All I know is that downloading them again will take less time than trying to sort out Mageia. I have now abandoned Mageia completely and hope to install and try some other distros alongside Mint.
paulz

Postby emilhd » Apr 29th, '16, 18:48

Hi forum,

Greetings from Indonesia. My name is Emil. I have been following Mandriva, and later Mageia, for more than 10 years now, but never had the courage to install it on my machine until two days ago. I used to play with the Live CD (once called Mandriva One), but since I bought this new cheap Celeron-powered HP 11 laptop last week, I thought it's time for me to try installing Mageia in the machine.

It was far from smooth, but the bright side is I learnt a lot from the process. I looked for and read references all the time via internet, and now I know much better (previously know absolutely nothing) about UEFI, harddisk partition, making bootable USB disk etc etc. As the wifi didn't work at first, I spent a whole day yesterday to search for references and eventually downloaded the required drivers. I am proud of myself for successfully making it work, and with that, I can write this post in the forum :)
emilhd

Postby Germ » May 2nd, '16, 11:42

Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby xboxboy » May 2nd, '16, 13:30

Hi emil,

good job on getting the wifi going. Mageia should treat you well
xboxboy

Postby ranchhand » May 30th, '16, 06:55

It has been a long time but I have finally gotten the time to come back to this fine forum.

Excited about upgrading to 6 when that happens and finding a spot to install the cauldron for the building of 7.

Am located in S.E. Montana, USA.

Yes I am primarly an agricultural worker.

Also a Blacksmith primarily interested in hardware and tools.

Photography is a hobby that I don't spend enough time on but does make me a big fan of the fine tools available to Gnu/Linux for image manipulation. I got started in photography when it was all film. People that think you can take a photo with a digital camera and get the image you "see" in your mind when you hit the shutter release are wrong. Image processing is at least as important in digital photography as it was (is) with film. This is true with Dslr cameras and all others. The on board processors are, in my opinion, actualy more limited than with film.

With film you could, for good cameras, get a number of different types of film for specific conditions kind of similar to the point and shoot digital camers dial that allows you to choose a condition. There were, for cameras above the entry level, more selections available with film than with those dials. Even then if you ran the film through a commercial film developer and then took the negatives home and ran them through your home darkroom you got much better results.

For most processes needed to improve an image digital tools are vastly faster to use. The one exception is dealing with over or under exposed areas that are easy to get if in images taken in conditions of great light/dark contrast. Easy to see how if you think about areas of shadow and light in an area with dense Pine growth with snow on the ground. Where the shadow ends it is easy to get spots of problems with exposure being over or under what it should be.

Exposure itself is a darkroom term. That is where it is actually easiest to deal with although not fast.

Anyway I like Mageia a good bit even if my usual OS is Debian testing or sid. Mageia is the distro I recommend to noobs particularly. The way administrative chores are handled in a gui is the best in any OS at least I think so. I think this was important when Mandrake first came out but even more so now.

These "tech savvy young people" are app savvy, not tech savvy. That is not to put them down in the least it is just the way people are introduced to things computer related. I, as an example of someone that is no longer young, cut my computer teeth on MSdos in my meer 40s. There for the cli in Gnu/Linux is actually a joy for me to use. It actually is tremendous fun for me because is so much better than that old Word Processor OS ever could be.

But to think that people without that exposure should have the cli inflicted on them and they should think it wonderful is asking a lot of human nature that is pretty unreasonable.

I have a new Mageia user in this little (population 500) town that likes it quite well and thinking seriously of transitioning away from using Win completely. A good part of that is due to the ease of maintaining Mageia compared to Windows.

Most people I know that run Gnu/Linux either dual booted to start with or still do. I never did. As I said, I am a Blacksmith. We are not noted for being technophobes. We invented technology, at least in our humble and modest way of thinking. Windows finally pissed me off for the last time in 08. Took us a month the get a Gnu/Linux distro running (internal dial up modem in wrong slot). We, when that was straightened out finally, have not used Windows and banished Win running hardware from our house (my wife is a Smith [Silver on Black] too) as we as Smiths also tend to hold a grudge.

I will help people with Win problems. They will have to put up with some lectures. And make some attempt to secure that crapware. Data recovery jobs are a particularly fun thing for me. It is fun to do on Win machines. The users are so shocked at the relative ease of doing that sort of thing with the tools in Gnu/Linux. And when the nearest computer related business is 80 miles away they generally do come to me.

Now several run Win in VM with no access to the web for better security. All files in the shared directory run through clamav before the VM is opened. All files then run with some Win AV product of their choice downloaded by the Host and installed then on Win in the VM before anything is opened. Updating the Win AV is a pain but can be done.

I also highly recommend;
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

instead of any sort of adblocker. There are directions on the site for installation on Win or Mac. For anything based on Linux simply add to the;
/etc/hosts file

That list has priority over the dns server and redefines the addresses to 0.0.0.0 a nul address. Existing cookies can't call home that way.

List is updated at about a 6 week schedule. Current is from 5-15-16. You can sign up for an email announcement when it updates. I just check that txt version because I don't like wading through the site and already get too much email. The one before that was 4-1-16.

Last time I was here I was widget. Can't get to that account. Couldn't contact anyone about it sucessfully so just created a new account.

Very glad to be back.
SelfBox1 8G ram, ADM FX-6300 6core 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 6450, Audigy2 5.1, 3x500G HDD 1x320G HDD, 500G External, Debian Stable, Debian Testing, Debian Sid and Mageia5 on the 2 internal drives.
Several external drives with various distros installed.
ranchhand

Postby morgano » May 31st, '16, 17:55

Welcome back ranchhand :)
Nice to hear about your operating system mission :)
Do you find the photo editing tools you need in mageia?
like rawtherapee, darktable, ufraw, dcraw, exiv2... gimp of course...
I have not had time to play with them and do not have a good camera anyway, but i am thinking on getting one...
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board