Hello from form former Mandrake user

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Hello from form former Mandrake user

Postby mdlinuxwolf » Mar 30th, '20, 13:33

After finding out that Mandrake had a worthy successor that acted the same but updated for the 21st century, there was only one thing left to do. I downloaded it and put it on my HP Pavilion 23 all in one PC after I put a new hard drive into it. I ran Linux Mint on it with the other older hard drive, but there was a time for a change. I still have Mint on my laptop where it will remain happy. I had heard of Mandriva, but it was for profit and just didn't have the old Mandrake vibe like this one does. Mandrake was the very first Linux distro that I ever installed or used, ah the nostalgia...

One oddity, there are 2 root passwords. One is for unlocking access to your hard drive when you log on @ the other is the system admin password that we all know and love. Despite being password protected, the hard drive appears not to be encrypted and if there's a LUKs partition, its not showing up as such. Nevertheless, everything works. Even the web camera over the screen works. The microphone is a little bit glitchy and might need a driver to sound better. Clearing up whether or not it can do LUKs encryption and if so how would be a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary.
mdlinuxwolf

Re: Hello from form former Mandrake user

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 30th, '20, 18:53

mdlinuxwolf wrote:One oddity, there are 2 root passwords. One is for unlocking access to your hard drive when you log on @ the other is the system admin password that we all know and love. Despite being password protected, the hard drive appears not to be encrypted and if there's a LUKs partition, its not showing up as such.[...]

There's only one root password. Maybe what you're referring to is a polkit authentication dialog, for some internal/external disk, but you should add some more context information / details for that.
See also https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Useful_polki ... t_password

mdlinuxwolf wrote:Clearing up whether or not it can do LUKs encryption and if so how would be a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary.

Mageia can do LUKS encryption just fine, the installer also supports setting up encryption for you.
If you want to know whether you have LUKS-encrypted disks, best post the output as root of
Code: Select all
lsblk -fl
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Hello from form former Mandrake user

Postby benmc » Mar 30th, '20, 22:21

mdlinuxwolf wrote:One oddity, there are 2 root passwords

does the first password need to be entered before the grub menu presents?
if so, during the install, you filled in the fields to password your grub boot menu.

did you install via a Live media?.
the installer menu asks for bootloader passwords before completion
if so, then, when you first reboot, the admin and user password fields are needed to be filled before the system will present the login greeter.
if you installed via the Classical installer, you may have filled the security fields out in the boot loader configuration tab.
you may be able to disable the grub menu password via MCC, => Boot tab => Set up boot system => Security.
both fields should be blank.

otherwise, you could re-install, and take care to not password the boot grub menu
benmc

Return to Welcome on board