Welcome to Mageia forums

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome to Mageia forums

Postby otautahi » Sep 14th, '11, 03:23

thankyou Germ
otautahi

Postby athenian200 » Sep 15th, '11, 09:19

Hello, everyone.

I'm coming back to Linux after being a longtime Windows 7 and XP user. The reason I chose Mageia is because I have fond memories of the early versions of Mandrake Linux (7.2 and 8.1), and I heard that Mandriva no longer had the same spirit it once did due to the direction the company was taking.

The biggest problem I've had so far has been an issue with installing GRUB on a software RAID0 array. I even tried to install a different version of GRUB. However, the people who develop GRUB were so incredibly rude to me when I asked for help, that I just decided to reinstall Mageia using LILO. It works great now. :)

The Mageia community, on the other hand, has already been extremely helpful. Anyway, I like Mageia so far, and I want to learn more about it. Possibly even contribute, but I'm not sure how much I can do without having coding skills.
athenian200

Postby Akien » Sep 15th, '11, 09:47

Welcome ahtenian200!

I'm feel sorry that the people from GRUB were rude to you. Still, I think you will find friendly support here (even though you may here "Okay but propose a patch" if you do many suggestions of new features :p).

When it comes to contributing, I think everyone has the ability to do something, as said by wobo in this thread:
wobo wrote:This thinking has brought me to my involvement with Linux. I'm not a coder and as somebody recently wrote it is impossible to discuss technical things with me ( ;) ). But I can participate in support and user relations, translating and discussing. I did that before I was contacted by Mandrake - and much more since then. I have not much money, so I pay back in the way I am able to. I often read posts like, "I would help but I'm a newbie and I don't have the skills to be a good help" - this is a lame excuse, I can't think of anybody who is able to run Linux but would not be of any help at all. /me thinks that we should even increase our communication with users to make them aware of the fact that even people like me can be of help.

If you think like me, then Linux is not for free like friendship is not for free!

In short: it's up to you what you want to do, but I'm pretty sure you can help us in a domain, be it marketing, documentation, advocacy of support. And if you're really from Athens as you username suggests, I guess we'd be glad to have you in the Mageia Greek translation team :)
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby athenian200 » Sep 15th, '11, 12:15

Akien wrote:Welcome ahtenian200!

I'm feel sorry that the people from GRUB were rude to you. Still, I think you will find friendly support here (even though you may here "Okay but propose a patch" if you do many suggestions of new features :p).

Yeah, the people who were associated with Mageia are VERY friendly and helpful. It was quite a stark contrast. The guy who was rude to me was the head developer of GRUB itself, I think. He was saying things like "can you read," and giving me vague instructions and getting mad at me for not understanding them. He even called me unethical because I posted information in the wrong place. :( But let's not dwell on that.

In short: it's up to you what you want to do, but I'm pretty sure you can help us in a domain, be it marketing, documentation, advocacy of support. And if you're really from Athens as you username suggests, I guess we'd be glad to have you in the Mageia Greek translation team :)

Well, I'm not actually Greek. I just greatly admire ancient Greek culture and philosophy.

But I do think that I could possibly help out with documentation and/or technical support, I could just take some time and study how things work together. But once I figure something out, I'm pretty good at explaining it in detail. I'm really excited about the idea of using Linux again, and actually contributing to the community this time. :)
athenian200

Postby rijnsma » Sep 15th, '11, 12:33

Yeah, the people who were associated with Mageia are VERY friendly and helpful. It was quite a stark contrast. The guy who was rude to me was the head developer of GRUB itself, I think. He was saying things like "can you read," and giving me vague instructions and getting mad at me for not understanding them. He even called me unethical because I posted information in the wrong place. But let's not dwell on that.

O, yes, let's dwell for a second.
This mentality of that guy (and a lot of other people 'in computers') is the reason for a lot of problems with Grub1/2 ext/4. Why not a more friendly bootloader. Why "bang out Grub1" and "in now Grub2"; why "help yourself" and why "we don't do anything smooth with our software". Just like Gnome with their version 3. Just like years ago KDE3/4 etc.

I had a lot of problems to keep afloat my multiboot mixed Grub1/2 ext3/ext4 system. I found out, but not 'just like that'...

It looks like this is the way to go in software/hardware-land. I hate that.

And indeed, Mageia-forum is friendly. ;)
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby wobo » Sep 15th, '11, 13:54

A forum consists of many different parts: the server (is it fast and reliable?), the software (is it easy to use?), the rules (how much leeway do they give you?), the administration/moderation (are they available, friendly, helpful?), and last but not least the masses of people with all kinds of cultural backgrounds and geographical origin, not to forget the different lives they are leading offline. But over the time all these different parts come together and are building a forum's reputation. It's not just "the people of Mageia", it's a combination of all the afore mentioned parts.

I know examples of both sides, good and bad, nice and ugly. Congratulations ahtenian200! You made it to one of those good and nice examples here! Help us keeping and improving the good reputation :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby nccpgmr9 » Sep 16th, '11, 15:25

New convert here. been using man-whatever since 8.1, tried 2011 in virtualbox didn't like the rosa stuff so i downloaded Mageia 1 64 and have been running it for a few days now after a few minor tweaks for my equipment. came from Mandy pwp 2010.2 and i must say Mageia is doing everything i need it to.
msi 785gtm-e45 motherboard,64bit AMD 960t Quad core (overclocked to 3.6),AMD® 785G and SB710 Chipset,ATI ‎RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] video,4gb ram
Realtek® High-End Audio chipset- Compliant with Azalia,Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111C
nccpgmr9

Postby isadora » Sep 16th, '11, 15:29

nccpgmr9 wrote:New convert here. been using man-whatever since 8.1, tried 2011 in virtualbox didn't like the rosa stuff so i downloaded Mageia 1 64 and have been running it for a few days now after a few minor tweaks for my equipment. came from Mandy pwp 2010.2 and i must say Mageia is doing everything i need it to.

Very welcome to the Mageia-forum nccpgmr9!!!!!
You made the member-count to 1000!!!!

Glad you enjoy this great distribution, and hope you will even more like it for the future.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Akien » Sep 16th, '11, 17:00

isadora wrote:Very welcome to the Mageia-forum nccpgmr9!!!!!
You made the member-count to 1000!!!!

Shouldn't you say something like "You won a million dollars, click here for bank transfer."? I mean, that the kind of things we here when we are the thousandth or millionth user or visitor somewhere :D
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby Max » Sep 16th, '11, 17:11

On my blog I had a hitcounter and a "Congratulations! Click here to collect your prize!" button.
It would open a dialog box with a fortuneMOD quote. :mrgreen:
Max

Postby rijnsma » Sep 16th, '11, 17:20

We can sing together. :lol:
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby nccpgmr9 » Sep 17th, '11, 14:18

i couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket
msi 785gtm-e45 motherboard,64bit AMD 960t Quad core (overclocked to 3.6),AMD® 785G and SB710 Chipset,ATI ‎RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] video,4gb ram
Realtek® High-End Audio chipset- Compliant with Azalia,Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111C
nccpgmr9

Postby gdawg » Sep 25th, '11, 14:28

Hi everyone,
I just installed Mageia and I'm still trying to work some things out. I'll go to another section to get assistance for those things. Mandriva was my first Linux distro. Thanks to all for being here and being willing to help a relative novice, I'll be in touch.
Regards,
Glen
gdawg

Postby isadora » Sep 25th, '11, 14:53

You are very welcome to the Mageia-forum!!!

We like to see you as often as possible, and hope you enjoy Mageia for a long time ahead.

Also i like to point you at:
http://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby CharlieBros » Oct 28th, '11, 20:39

Hi!
I'm from Mexico City, I'm 13 years old :)
I started in the wonderful Linux World with OpenSUSE in 2008, but I only use OpenSUSE a few days, then I installed Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron :) ) then after 2 years of using Ubuntu I decided to change Ubuntu 10.04 to Fedora, the change are amazing but inestable, so I probe a lot of distros, Debian, CrunchBang, Linux Mint, LMDE, PCLinux OS, (Again) OpenSUSE, Sabayon and well, Mageia

I never use KDE because (for me and all my tests) KDE are Slow, Inestable and Heavy, but with Mageia pfff, the bitch fly!
I activated a lot of repositorys and well I decided to use Mageia for a long, very long time

Regards
Charlie

PD: Sorry for my bad english :P
CharlieBros

Postby isadora » Oct 28th, '11, 20:48

No sorries needed whatsoever.

A very warm welcome to the Mageia-forum and community!!!!!!!
I am especially honored welcoming a youngster, for at least they shape our future in whatever way.

Hope you keep on loving the distribution, and feel free giving any input or contribution.

isadora

Postby rijnsma » Oct 28th, '11, 20:55

Lovely CharlieBros, you're doing great!!! Keep the good work going!! ;)
rijnsma

Postby CharlieBros » Oct 28th, '11, 20:57

Thanks a lot Isadora ;)
CharlieBros

Postby gdawg » Oct 28th, '11, 23:18

Hi CharlieBros - Welcome to Mageia (Bienvenido a Mageia)
gdawg

Postby CharlieBros » Oct 29th, '11, 04:07

Thanks gdwag
CharlieBros

Postby gdawg » Oct 29th, '11, 16:55

You are welcome CharlieBros.
gdawg

Postby Germ » Oct 31st, '11, 13:06

CharlieBros wrote:Hi!
I'm from Mexico City, I'm 13 years old :)

Welcome to Mageia! :D
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby Lucky » Nov 4th, '11, 16:33

Well I just made it on board! I have to say I am very impressed with Megeia, I come from a long line of linux ditros and feel that I have found a home. My first experiance with linux was back in the early 90's with Mandrake, I have to say things have come along way.
Thank you for this awesome distro, I'm looking forward to many years of Mageia!
Lucky

Postby isadora » Nov 5th, '11, 21:35

Great having another satisfied Mageia-user.
Welcome aboard, and hope to see you around frequently.

Lucky and magical times with Mageia!!!!!

isadora

Postby Germ » Nov 8th, '11, 13:43

Lucky wrote:Well I just made it on board!

Welcome to Mageia. :D
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board