Welcome to Mageia forums

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Welcome to Mageia forums

Postby forumadmin » Feb 12th, '11, 02:32

What you will find here
This forum is dedicated to Mageia community from end user to contributer:
  • community: discussions, official information and local one
  • support: basic or advanced support on Mageia distributions
  • contribution: report here all feedbacks about development releases, ask for help if you want to become new contributer, speak about issues about your favorite package...

Localization
This forum is Mageia official forum and is english spoken only. If you want other languages please have a look on community forums. If there no such languages inside please ask for it here

More ressources about Mageia
You can also find some more information here:

Support Mageia!
If you like Mageia you can help in contributing to various teams but also help us on a financial side: donate here. And as transparency is essential, you will find soon monthly reports about use of these donations.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to Mageia forums

Postby l2ulinux » Jun 2nd, '11, 19:22

Thank you for letting me try the new release. I used Mandrake when it came out and loved it. But when it changed to Mandriva I left shorty after because it did not feel the same. I don't know what it was, but when I booted the first liveCD It was like being back with Mandrake again. I am going to build a new system today and I have a new 500 gig HD to install Mageia as the main OS. Thanks again for the great work and time spend.
l2ulinux

Postby jmjlinux586 » Jun 5th, '11, 07:36

Hello,
I am writing this from a fresh install of Mageia.
I was a Mandrivia user for a few years and loved it.
Then I got a new laptop and Mandrivia didn't like it,
so I moved to PCLinuxOS.
Now I am a new Mageia user and it reminds me of
Mandrivia, and everything worked great out of
the box.
Great job.
jmjlinux586

Postby rc2011 » Jun 5th, '11, 07:44

l2ulinux wrote:Thank you for letting me try the new release. I used Mandrake when it came out and loved it. But when it changed to Mandriva I left shorty after because it did not feel the same. I don't know what it was, but when I booted the first liveCD It was like being back with Mandrake again. I am going to build a new system today and I have a new 500 gig HD to install Mageia as the main OS. Thanks again for the great work and time spend.

Thats how it felt for me as well. I had left shortly after the Mandrake to Mandriva change and when I booted this and installed it for the first time it felt like the good old days but better.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals, dying of nothing.
rc2011

Postby melloe » Jun 8th, '11, 06:00

Thanks for all the hard work. I started Linux with Mandrake 6.2 I think it was, and an early Red Hat. Both I purchased from an office store in boxed sets. Did almost every Mandrake and them Mandriva since. I appreciate your efforts. Did the testing and now the final. looking good. Suggestion. Do some work on installer..later for that.
melloe

Postby Germ » Jun 8th, '11, 13:43

Hi mel. Welcome to Mageia. :mrgreen:
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby Hawkwind » Jun 8th, '11, 16:14

Well well well, someone here I know :P Germ.....How the heck are ya my dear friend ? It's been nearly 3 years since we last spoke. Hope all is well with ya.

I'm not running Mageia quite yet, as I just got home from 32 months in prison and am sharing a Windows 7 box with my dad at the moment. Hoping to get a laptop from a friend in a week or so and then it's back into Linux for me :) I've forgotten so much but I know I'll pick it up quickly enough.

Anyways, I want to welcome everyone to the forums and of course to Mageia itself :)

With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Registered Linux User #362532
http://seerofsouls.com http://linuxfordummies.org
IRC Channels (irc.freenode.net): #SoS #LFD
With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Hawkwind

Postby dubigrasu » Jun 8th, '11, 23:27

Hello Hawkwind.
Hoping to get a laptop from a friend in a week or so and then it's back into Linux for me

Any plans on jumping in packagers team? :)
dubigrasu

Postby Hawkwind » Jun 9th, '11, 02:17

dubigrasu,

It seems I had a long discussion with blino and ennael today in fact and I'll be doing something with Mageia. I'm probably going to start my SoS website up again as well that did backports from Cooker to latest stable of Mandriva as it was quite successful before. But I think I'm going to be do community related stuff as well here :)
With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Hawkwind

Postby Germ » Jun 9th, '11, 12:36

Hawkwind wrote:Well well well, someone here I know :P Germ.....How the heck are ya my dear friend ?

Hi Cliff. :mrgreen:

I'm doing great. How about you? yea, it's been too long. That's good to hear you'll be working on Mageia.

Stephen
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby ghostdawg » Jun 9th, '11, 13:43

Hello fellow magicians...I hope it's okay to say...I'm a Mandriva user and now switching over to Mageia. I've currently have Mga1 installed with KDE version and it's looking pretty good. I see a few others from Mdv forums here, such as Wobo, Germ, dubigrasu and others. It's good to see and be a part of the birth of a distro. This my first time participating at the very beginning.

Anywho I'm from STLMO and been using Linux since about 2005 and hope to continue using it.

Keep up the good work Mageia team and anything I can do to help let me know!

Thanks.
IBM ThinkCenter | 1.4ghz | 512mb | 20gb | Mageia 1-x86_32
ghostdawg

Postby jkerr82508 » Jun 9th, '11, 15:13

ghostdawg wrote: anything I can do to help let me know!

http://mageia.org/en/contribute/

;)

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby ghostdawg » Jun 10th, '11, 02:38

I'll do whatever I can to help out.

Thanks.
ghostdawg

Postby headbang777 » Jun 10th, '11, 02:55

Hello fellow Mageia users,
Just installed Mageia 1 64-bit onto my Acer Aspire laptop and everything is working awesome! Mageia is the best and only RPM-based distro that I plan on keeping on my laptop permanently, as I am thoroughly impressed with it. I am a former Slackware64 -Current user, and while it is an excellent distro, I needed something that would take much less of my personal time to work with. If any Mageia devs are reading this, I would like to commend you on your excellent work and congratulations on persuading a former Slackware user to try Mageia! I couldn't be happier! :D
headbang777

Postby ghostdawg » Jun 10th, '11, 02:59

headbang777, I currently have Mandriva 2010.2 on my AAO but will be switching it over to Mga 1 soon. I had previously ran Debian Testing on it but like you, got tired of fiddling around with it, so decided to find a more user friendly distro. Now I believe Mga will be even easier to use.

Just a thought!
ghostdawg

Postby headbang777 » Jun 10th, '11, 03:14

@ghostdawg,
I tried Debian Unstable once, and to be honest, I found Slackware64 -Current much easier to work with and maintain, despite the lack of a package manager. You are correct in saying that I became tired of having to maintain it myself, and I found myself thinking that my computer is simply a means to an end, and shouldn't require so much of my time and effort when in the end I just want the darn thing to work. Hence my arrival at Mageia. I can't say I didn't have fun with Slackware however, it really does teach you the ropes when it comes to Linux.
headbang777

Postby rijnsma » Jul 2nd, '11, 14:31

I don't know if it's good or bad, but I'm sort of computerfreak from the first home-computing.
Before that I my job was in electronics.
I did a lot on the 'Junior-computer' an 'own-build' of an electronic magazine Elektuur, Atari ST, Falcon and after that I switched to
the PC like we use it now. At that time I used Win95 and after that Windows ME.
I did program a lot in assembler with the Junior and with Atari GFA basic.

Windows was too vulnarable with virusses and so I had to try all kinds of Linuxes, I thought. I hopped distro. :lol:
I ended up at PCLOS for that moment and used some releases (92, 93, Minime) quite a while (and now again also as
a MBR-switch in a ext3/4 Grub1/2 multiboot system).
After some problems at PCLOS around 2007 I tried amongst others Mint (which was great) so I used that for a while,
and now my day to day-distro is Mint LMDE (which is very, very stable).
I'm doing a lot with it like refreshing sites in a browser FF or Opera, large numbers of refreshed feeds and emailfetching,
the whole day. And besides that writing, music and video and sometimes a nice chessgame.

A lot of the old things I still have like Junior, Atari ST and an old Dell PC dualboot Windows ME with PCLOS and
a Targa laptop with Windows 95. 8-)

Now I have on 5 partitions PCLOS (with MBR), LMDE. Mint 9 Isadora LTS, Mint Xfce and your fab Mageia,
which I discovered some days ago. (And I keep some Clonzilla-clones of other 'dressed' distro's; so distro's I can
use when I like in 3 minutes on a partition.) I like Mageia! And it is (as far as I can see at this moment) also very stable
and userfriendly. Multimedia works fine. Your distro is very young, so a lot of developement could yet happen.
Great idea to keep Mandriva-assets alive! Congratulations and good luck. I will follow you and hope to be able to bring in
some positives. ;)
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby dubigrasu » Jul 3rd, '11, 17:25

Great idea to keep Mandriva-assets alive!

Absolutely.
Before I knew about Mageia (and knowing what's happening at Mandriva) I thought many times: Where all that talent is gonna go? Mandriva's team will just...disintegrate?
Luckily, because of some clever guys and girls that didn't happen, phew!

Welcome rijnsma!
dubigrasu

Postby rijnsma » Jul 4th, '11, 14:53

Thanks! ;)
The better the desktop with the classic controls, the less chance of Mondriaan rectangles...!
rijnsma

Postby newbieman » Jul 16th, '11, 19:08

New guy here. I've been playing with linux for a year now. Hoping to settle down from distro hopping now, and start to learn the in's and outs of linux and mageia. Look foward to meeting everyone!
newbieman

Postby rijnsma » Jul 16th, '11, 19:19

Hi and welcome from me. :wink:
It is still a young distro and things have to settle.
But it is a wonderful piece of software! And a great initiative.
I wish you much pleasure with Mageia and many interesting moments.
rijnsma

Postby demento » Jul 24th, '11, 15:55

Hi to all.
I tried Mageia 1 today for the first time.
Looks good so far. I had no problems at all. Just have to get used to it again. Yes, again, as I am an ex-Mandrake user.
I have no problems at all with my current distro, PCLinuxOS, but....but...but ....
So, I have decided to get Mageia on my HD and try it out for 5 months.
Then we will see........... :)

Questions will follow later if I get stuck somewhere, somehow, sometime !

Regards
demento
demento

Postby rijnsma » Jul 24th, '11, 16:12

Yes, PCLOS is fine. And Mageia too. And Gnome 2.3...
I'm experimenting at the moment with Lxde (wattOS, Lubuntu, PCLOS Lxde, Mint Lxde) and it is just enough for me, it appears.
I can do everything with Lxde I always do with Gnome and it is faster.

I had one problem with Mageia and that was recording of sound (with Audacity, mhwave etc.) for example from VLC or something else, while I get that easily done in other distro's I have here on partitions.
I have not yet figured out what exactly is the reason. My Mageia now is only a .img, a clone at the moment, installable in
about 3 minutes, and sometime I'm going to dig into it.
rijnsma

Postby puppytronix » Jul 24th, '11, 16:53

Hi all,

Trying Mageia 1 now, actually writing this in the Epiphany web browser, I'm a Mandrake user since Helios version (a ton of years ago), I feel really at home with Mageia so far... The only thing I miss is the lack of the Enlightenment desktop, I can't find it even in the last Mandriva's versions... If there is a way to add it to the distro, just tell me. A big hug for the team, and congratulations for the excellent job!

JMB (Puppytronix)
puppytronix

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 24th, '11, 17:19

You mean Enlightenment DR16 or Enlightenment aka E (0.)17 as in here: http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki
If the latter, you can install it via the meta-packages task-e17 or task-e17-minimal.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Next

Return to Welcome on board