Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

New here or willing to jump in ?
Here you will find all you need to get started with Mageia :)

Re: Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself

Postby morgano » Oct 25th, '20, 19:46

Welcome aboard :)

I am too into electronics, have been designing circuit boards, but nowadays mostly repair old machines using my mobile workshop. Been a teacher too :)
Been using "Mageia" as main OS since Mandriva 2006.

For electronics, i guess you have already found we package KiCAD and some other engineering programs like FreeCAD, see more at https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=531

For contributing, see Contributors corner at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Main_Page
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby aleximon » Oct 26th, '20, 14:19

thanks!!
aleximon

Postby berkana » Jan 24th, '21, 01:48

Hello lovely people!

I am new to using Linux; I chose Mageia for my first distro, and I am enjoying it very much.

I'm attempting to get rid of and away from everything Microsoft and google related, ASAP. My next step after accomplishing this (it wasn't toooo difficult) on my laptop is to figure out how to root my phone and get an open source distro on there. :)
Baby steps... but big steps.

Cheers,
berkana

Postby isadora » Jan 24th, '21, 11:27

A very warm welcome to the Mageia-forum and into the Mageia-community.
We wish you good luck and lots of pleasure on using our distribution.
Magical times around berkana!!! ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby morgano » Jan 27th, '21, 20:49

For the phone OS check out /e/
I am happy with it on my phones (Fairphone 3 and an old Samsung as reserve)
Device compatibility: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby berkana » Jan 27th, '21, 23:40

Thanks, Isadora!
I'm enjoying my adventure so far - man what a learning curve!
I particularly enjoy the fact that it comes with so many great apps and tools ready to go. I was just playing with the video editing program and it was working flawlessly. Before, using Win8 on this ancient Dell notebook, it was impossible to have any video editing software open for more than 5 minutes without major lagging, freezing, crashing. The laptop couldn't handle it.

Now it's like I have a new laptop. Freaking magic!

Hey Morgano, appreciate the link and suggestion. I was putting it off because it seemed too complicated to root my phone, but now it seems like it's imperative for my sanity and safety. I have a backup samsung to try with before doing anything to my main phone, so... here goes. :)
berkana

Postby rtl19 » Mar 7th, '21, 17:18

Hi Everyone!

My name is Rick and I've been using a flavor of Mageia since the Mandrake days. I honestly can't remember when I switched from one of those Redhat distributions that used to come in those big, fat, Linux books as a cd. I try to put Mageia on everything I can get my hands on. It's been a wonderful experience and great fun to learn.

R
rtl19

Postby morgano » Mar 8th, '21, 17:59

Welcome Rick
I am myself long time user since Mandriva 2006.
By time i have got more and more involved in QA work.
If you too like to lend a helping hand in any part of Mageia, see https://wiki.mageia.org, Contributor's corner.
morgano

Postby gnumax » Apr 12th, '21, 07:15

Hello, greetings and thank you very much to all Mageia developers. You can call me Gnumax and I am from Indonesia. Happy to use Mageia, happy to join. I am a former Mandriva user. I wish the best for all forum members here.

With respects,

Gnumax
gnumax

Postby isadora » Apr 12th, '21, 20:31

Always good to see a former Mandriva-fan introducing into Mageia's community.
Very welcome, and wish you magical times. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby gnumax » Apr 13th, '21, 08:20

Hello, isadora! Hello, all Mageia members! Thanks for the moderators for approving my post. Honestly I am very interested to Mageia not only because I was a former Mandriva user, but also because Mageia in fact had complete, professional documentation (even just seeing it made me feel like home). Gratitude to all Mageia developers for this amazing computing experience.

Regards,

Gnumax
Last edited by isadora on Apr 13th, '21, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting the former message is not appropriate
gnumax

Postby xicomelo » May 18th, '21, 13:02

I am xico
I like linux
many years ago I tried Mandriva.
By hazard I found Mageia and I am trying it.

xico
xicomelo

Postby filip » May 19th, '21, 14:43

Hi xico. Welcome. Have a great experience!
filip

Postby Fitz » Jul 30th, '21, 17:06

Hello everyone!
My name is Rob but I go by Fitz (It's from one of my favorite book series, if you can figure it out you get extra bonus points), I've been using linux since around 2019. I'm interested in technical things as a hobby, I went to school for human physiology so nothing even close to related.
Mageia is one of the first distros I used but I was a bit lost honestly and I did a lot of distro hopping. I used OpenSUSE tumbleweed for the last year and I've decided I wanted to be part of a project that is more of a community that I feel I can contribute to. Reddit pointed me to Mageia so, here I am.

Side note, I think the naming and branding of Mageia is incredible (even though it's blue and not green) and I'm going to do my darndest to get Mageia more spotlight in the Linux community.
Fitz

Postby morgano » Jul 30th, '21, 23:28

Welcome Fitz !
If you ever feel lost again let us help :)
For contributing see "Contributor's corner" at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Main_Page
morgano

Hello to all the magicians

Postby hakerdefo » Aug 10th, '21, 03:27

I have been using GNU/Linux exclusively as my daily driver for almost a decade now. But for some or other reason Mageia skipped my radar till now.
I installed Mageia cauldron via net-install only yesterday. I prefer to install my own preferred applications and avoid bloated DEs like GNOME and KDE that's why I went the net-install route. And thus far I'm impressed. Barring a few mi nor glitches everything is working beautifully.
So kudos to dev team and hello to all the members of Mageia family.
My GitHub repositories,
https://github.com/hakerdefo
hakerdefo

Postby benmc » Aug 11th, '21, 02:20

Hi hakerdefo and welcome to Mageia!

Enjoy cauldron (not for the fainthearted), your intro suggested that you may be able to get yourself out of disaster (known to happen with Cauldron ;) )

cheers
benmc

Postby BIKO84 » Aug 29th, '21, 20:00

Hey guys, I am Martin from Germany and using Mageia since 2019 cause I wanted to get rid of all the spyware outside (windows and so on) and needed a distro which runs fast and stable on my old 2008 gigabyte ultra durable motherboard (it runs and runs and runs). So it is my first Linux and I am very satisfied with it: Easy to use, looks nice, has a great support and is more secured than Ubuntu as it seams and in core version complete open source except the Kernel and I dont know if systemd is a good choice, but between all distros I compared Mageia had the best balance between security/open source and usability for a Linux rookie like me. Since I installed it I dont use windows anymore and I dont miss anything (I am no gamer). I have it now on my laptop and my 2 PCs. Thanks to everyone who is developing on this awesome distro. I am your fan! :-)
BIKO84

Postby morgano » Aug 30th, '21, 02:52

Welcome Martin.
If you have not already, as newcomer take a look here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Newcomers_start_here , especially https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation
In case there is a program you miss in our repository, take a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Ways_to_install_programs

This workstation i write on use sabertooth P67 main board from 2011, but i have burnt up one CPU on having it chewing BOINC projects almost 24/7, rebuilt water cooler, downgraded GPU (swapped with son's gaming rig...), and a new power supply (went to daughter's rig), larger SSD, and new RAM (swapped with father who bought incompatibles)

A tip: Mageia support many desktop systems. On slower computers i prefer xfce. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Desktop_environments
Last edited by morgano on Sep 13th, '21, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
morgano

Postby BIKO84 » Aug 30th, '21, 13:28

Thank you morgano for all the hints and the little backround story!! So nice of you. I still have my intel core i3 unit and ram from 2008 on it. No GPU only onboard grafik, a cd rom drive and a floppy drive! :-) Just for nostalgic reasons and in 2008 for the case of if I need a boot floppy ;-). And my monitor is also from 2008, I just had to change the capacitors once. I try to keep everything as long as possible (better for wallet and nature). Thats also a reason why mageia is so great: on the air updates for free. Good bye Microsoft and Apple. :-)
BIKO84

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 30th, '21, 21:10

BIKO84 wrote:Hey guys, I am Martin from Germany

Hi Martin, you may also want to check the german forum: https://forums.mageia.org/de
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kiddjsh » Sep 12th, '21, 21:16

Hi, my names Josh, I live in the US,

I'm new to Linux, and Mageia is my first Linux based installation as a operating system. I got turned on to Mageia as part of a comparison paper of Linux distributions, for a networking/Unix class I took for my software programming major; Mageia was my choice of recommendation for office workstation/server usage within a company/organization.

I look forward to getting to know the operating system, and working within it on programming projects, at home and on the trail.
kiddjsh

Postby morgano » Sep 13th, '21, 16:02

Welcome Josh :)

See my previous post above for some starting links
morgano

Postby JakeMartin » Sep 20th, '21, 09:09

Hi, my name is Jaike. I really want to distance myself from Microsoft. A few years ago I started migrating to Linux and recently discovered Mageia. I will try to contribute to the community as much as I can. Thanks
JakeMartin

Postby filip » Sep 22nd, '21, 22:44

Welcome, Jaike.
filip

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome on board