Strange rule && behaviour

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Strange rule && behaviour

Postby developer » Mar 19th, '14, 15:39

I mean whats going-on? Why the hell admin/mod post a separate post telling/asking thread's author to mark it accordingly. Isnt it possible instead of making spammy post, marking it accordingly by mod/admin.
Apologies if Im wrong, but such behaviour gives out an impression that stuff here are lazy to all extend. Not to mention its degrading both forum and person doing this reputation.

Im moderator at one of the biggest IT professionals community in the world (Cisco) and - apart from this - I am respected member of many local IT forums and nowhere do I see something like this......
developer

Re: Strange rule && behaviour

Postby isadora » Mar 19th, '14, 16:28

Don't really see that much of a strange behaviour, for a poster to mark it's own topic.
This completes the procedure of starting an inquiry, and finalizing by the same person in charge, namely the original poster.

Nevertheless, you are of course very welcome bringing in any suggestions. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby developer » Mar 19th, '14, 17:49

So I would strongly suggest that this should be changed as its sole mod/adm responsibility to mark thread as solved (or whatever in that type),

current state is just like mod/adm saying 'I dont want to/dont have time/whatever, so do it yourself. No - the main goal for staff having more rights (=being privilidged as staff) is to use these rights and not to be lazy....... thats my opinion on that.

Its not that Im against someone here, it just seems unfair for me. Why to be staff, when not making use of given rights? Kind of nonsense to me....
developer

Postby isadora » Mar 19th, '14, 18:06

Never came to me, feeling like being staff. More or less some other user as everyone around here, with possibilities to direct where needed. This with our code of conduct in mind.
And again, i think, in the end it's the original poster of a thread, who is in charge for marking his or her own topic.
This worked out for many years now, and to my opinion, would remain so in future.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby isadora » Mar 19th, '14, 18:08

By the way, also have a look at:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Forum_Rules

isadora

Postby wobo » Mar 19th, '14, 18:17

developer wrote:So I would strongly suggest that this should be changed as its sole mod/adm responsibility to mark thread as solved (or whatever in that type),

Hmm, a forum where the adm/mod decides about the status of MY topic / my MY question? How does that adm/mod know that my question was fully answered?
That's a weird way to treat and belittle users in a forum. I don't know what kind of people users of cisco products are but I'd assume that they are fully able (and want to be) to decide for themselves instead of letting someone else do it.

isadora wrote:And again, i think, in the end it's the original poster of a thread, who is in charge for marking his or her own topic.
Logic says so, staff. :P
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby developer » Mar 19th, '14, 20:30

How would staff know when to close/mark as solved topic? By author asking about it. Simple.
Forum rules - the fact of their existance does not mean that one will fully agree with them. Also plain simple.
developer

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 19th, '14, 22:24

developer wrote:Forum rules - the fact of their existance does not mean that one will fully agree with them. Also plain simple.

Moderator responsibility is also to educate users about proper behaviour. Especially reluctant users.
You can disagree about the rules, no problem about that - but you can also simply use others forums if you like them better.

We're usually friendly and rather patient, but we are not your servants. Period. This was the last friendly reminder.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby developer » Mar 20th, '14, 21:47

@up: what did you say? friendly? how come German person says sth like this to Polish citizen.....I did not forget WW II and what German people were doing to our nation.... I know it was not you personally but you are representing the nation who did it. And you should be ashamed for the past and as such you do not have any possible right to say in this tone. In fact only one option that you have is to be nice and do not 'heat-up' conflict/s......

I hate when German person gives me directives how I should behave...... oddity to its limits.

You know why Im in such negative attitude towards Germany? Because Ive lost my beloved grandfather during WW II. He was killed why? Just because he did not say hello to some German-soldier on the street !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unimaginable? True. What happenned with one who killed my grandfather? Nothing.

So dont tell me about you being friendly.........

Back to topic - its not that I dont like this forum - you are support forum and many problems have been solved here..... ok, really, that is what forum is to. No point discussing as its obvious......
What I do not like is lazyness of staff.... here or on any other forum.

Last reminder? Where the hell are previous ones? Am I blind?
developer

Postby madeye » Mar 20th, '14, 22:19

That was a little out of line. You should read the Mageia code of conduct before writing anything else on these forums.
https://www.mageia.org/en/about/code-of-conduct/

Especially the section:
Be respectful.
We do not tolerate personal attacks, racism, sexism or any other form of discrimination.

The rules clearly state that
mark thread titles as [SOLVED] by editing the subject of the first post to help with forum clarity and ease the search for solutions for other forum users.
in the Forum rules.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Forum_Rules

You may not like the rules. But you accepted the terms when you signed up!
- Madeye

When I supply commands in an answer, please make sure you understand them before you run them! Use google or man to check!
madeye

Postby developer » Mar 20th, '14, 23:07

Oh yes, Ive accepted them. Of course. But why? I did it because if I dont I wouldnt register......
You say that my behaviour is out of the line? Having tthis in mind how would you describe what German nation did during WW2? In-line behaviour? Hopefully not.....
I am respectful - I respect you as a staff, but I will not tolerate German person telling me what to do and/or how to behave.......simple
I have nothing against doktor5000 being staff member and taking care of forum/s but in no-conflicting way
I may have said ok to rules, but please tell doktor5000 to stop acting like there is no history......
Its none of what you have stated in above quotes from forum-rules/code/whatever caled, I understand that this may be hard to read, I do not want to discrimate anyone in any way (even German people), but history cannot be changed, and German's responsibility for WW2 is undiscussable.
Last edited by developer on Mar 20th, '14, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
developer

Postby wobo » Mar 20th, '14, 23:17

The point is:
People who are collaborating and interacting in an international forum such as this are beyond keeping all this in mind - you do not represent anything or anyone of your history like I do not represent anybody else but me myself. If you are not able to put this kind of history out of your mind then you are in the wrong place.

@ administration:
I recommend closing this thread.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby marja » Mar 20th, '14, 23:22

developer wrote:@up: what did you say? friendly? how come German person says sth like this to Polish citizen.....I did not forget WW II and what German people were doing to our nation.... I know it was not you personally but you are representing the nation who did it. And you should be ashamed for the past and as such you do not have any possible right to say in this tone. In fact only one option that you have is to be nice and do not 'heat-up' conflict/s......

To me this remark feels like a very forceful punch below the belt.

You know why Im in such negative attitude towards Germany? Because Ive lost my beloved grandfather during WW II. He was killed why? Just because he did not say hello to some German-soldier on the street !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unimaginable? True. What happenned with one who killed my grandfather? Nothing.

Mageia is not about politics, nor about what one people did or does to another. We have atheists, Christians, Muslims and Jews among our contributors, people from Ukraine and Russia, from Taiwan and the "big" China, from many countries that have been at war with each other. Many of us have had one or more persons from a different country or religion do something extremely nasty to ourselves, or to friends or family. We do not hold a grudge against others who share the same nationality or religion.

I feel very sorry for you that you have negative feelings about Germans in general. You must be a very unhappy person.

Back to topic - its not that I dont like this forum - you are support forum and many problems have been solved here..... ok, really, that is what forum is to. No point discussing as its obvious......
What I do not like is lazyness of staff.... here or on any other forum.

Where do you see lazyness?
Are you aware that many of us already spent thousands of hours helping to build Mageia for free, in our free time? Did you see how many posts doktor5000, isadora and wobo made in this forum. Are you aware that most of those posts were about helping others? Are you aware that they've done a lot more for Mageia than only helping here?

Am I blind?

You certainly don't see what we see, it is almost as if we're from different worlds
marja

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 20th, '14, 23:31

Thread closed due to obvious violations of http://www.mageia.org/en/about/code-of-conduct/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Discussions about forums