[DONE] Where did my thread go (shadow topics/redirections)

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

[DONE] Where did my thread go (shadow topics/redirections)

Postby jiml8 » Dec 2nd, '13, 09:19

A few hours ago, I put up a post in this forum describing something I had discovered in a brand new version of another distro, and asking whether that change (which is significant IMO) was coming to Mageia 4.

The post was titled: "Networking changes?"

The post has disappeared. Would someone be able to tell me exactly why it has disappeared?
Last edited by doktor5000 on Dec 3rd, '13, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjusted thread title, marked DONE
jiml8

Re: where did it go?

Postby Ken-Bergen » Dec 2nd, '13, 09:56

It was moved to Basic Support - Networking.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6438
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 2nd, '13, 12:18

But normally when posts are moved, a shadow topic is created in the original location, which forwards to the new location ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Dec 2nd, '13, 21:07

Well, given that it was neither a networking question nor a request for support, I would consider moving it there to be an odd thing. I certainly never would look for it there.

And there was no indication in this board of where it went.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 2nd, '13, 21:27

jiml8 wrote:And there was no indication in this board of where it went.

Hmmm, that's weird. For testing purposes, i've moved this thread from viewforum.php?f=4 to viewforum.php?f=18
In viewforum.php?f=4 your can see the shadow topic/redirection, right? This is what it should normally look like, so people coming back to their thread will be redirected to the actual location.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » Dec 3rd, '13, 01:51

The default is to leave the shadow topic in place but it only takes one click by the one moving the topic to change that.
Attachments
move-topic.jpeg
move-topic.jpeg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby isadora » Dec 3rd, '13, 08:41

Ken-Bergen wrote:The default is to leave the shadow topic in place but it only takes one click by the one moving the topic to change that.

The nail on the head. I never use the option to leave a shadow topic in place, and that worked spotless so far. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Ken-Bergen » Dec 3rd, '13, 10:19

isadora wrote:I never use the option to leave a shadow topic in place, and that worked spotless so far. ;)
Are you sure?
Jim came back to ask but how many just left the forum when the thread they started seemed to disappear?
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 3rd, '13, 13:26

Guys, are you kidding me? Why disable the default? When a user doesn't use any of the functions which shows the threads
(Active topics, unread posts or similar) or doesn't use a bookmark, and just returns to the forum where he posted a thread,
he will have no means of knowing where his thread went.

This is what Jim just threw up.
----
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Dec 3rd, '13, 13:31

doktor5000 wrote:Guys, are you kidding me? Why disable the default? When a user doesn't use any of the functions which shows the threads
(Active topics, unread posts or similar) or doesn't use a bookmark, and just returns to the forum where he posted a thread,

This is what Jim just threw up.

But, how about "View your posts"?

Nevertheless, i have updated my Mageia-brain-cells, and will stick to the default. :oops:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 3rd, '13, 17:23

isadora wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:When a user doesn't use any of the functions which shows the threads

But, how about "View your posts"?

Guessing most users won't even know about that function even less use it (same as for the board search function in general and search for author there :twisted: )

Anyways, no hard feelings, just wanted to sort that out. Please always stick to the default of creating shadow topics, they can be easily removed later on if they're not required or for whatever reason but they cannot be created manually afterwards.

Thanks for your understanding, and marking this thread [DONE]
----
doktor5000

Re: [DONE] Where did my thread go (shadow topics/redirection

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 10th, '14, 01:29

Just as a reminder to myself and isadora:

Please do not leave the checkbox ticked when moving away spam topics. Otherwise we will end up with pages only filled with links of shadow topics, like it's currently the case in viewforum.php?f=4 One has to skip several pages to get to the first real thread ... :/
----
doktor5000

Postby maat » Aug 10th, '14, 13:12

Yup

When moving topics from one forum to another it is possible to leave a "soft link" (iow shadow topic) in the original forum

In all cases my advice would be to post in the thread an "administrative" message saying "moved to xxxxx forum" so that the people linked to the thread receive a notification with the new url in their mail box

(and of course when moving bad threads in trashbin it's better not to leave a shadow topic because that would lead users to an error message)

Thanks all for this thread that allow us all to make things clean and clear :)
maat

Postby isadora » Aug 10th, '14, 18:26

Just fine. ;)

isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '14, 01:16

maat wrote:In all cases my advice would be to post in the thread an "administrative" message saying "moved to xxxxx forum" so that the people linked to the thread receive a notification with the new url in their mail box

Nope, that's exactly the purpose of the shadow topic and why it's enabled by default.
Why should I replace that automation by manually sending users "new" URL to their thread? You must be kidding ...
----
doktor5000

Return to Discussions about forums