Logging out unexpectedly

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Logging out unexpectedly

Postby bluesabbath » Nov 21st, '13, 07:23

For some reason, I cannot stay logged in after viewing, say, 2 threads. I just log out unexpectedly. It is not my cookies, since I can stay logged in on other sites, including other phpBB-run forums,
bluesabbath

Re: Logging out unexpectedly

Postby jiml8 » Nov 21st, '13, 19:09

I have the same problem. However, given my browser security model and the fact that I browse through TOR, I have been assuming it to be an artifact of my security as opposed to a genuine problem with the site. Therefore, I have not said anything about it.

I just always copy any post to the clipboard before submitting it. That way, when I have to log back in, I can paste the post back into place, submit again, and generally it goes.
jiml8

Postby bluesabbath » Nov 21st, '13, 23:03

Perhaps it is less about phpBB, and more about the account system here not playing well with our security measures.
bluesabbath

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 21st, '13, 23:37

Which account system and which security measures do you mean specifically?

Works fine here, logged in for months ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Nov 23rd, '13, 13:07

When using TOR your IP has to be re-evaluated every time to validate your session. That would explain a frequent logout behavior, the system does not remember you if you do not want to be remembered.

So if you are frequently logged out -that is only TOR (or another proxy) doing the job you have asked it to do - In that case.
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby jiml8 » Nov 24th, '13, 01:28

Well, I would not agree that the IP HAS TO BE revalidated every time, but I have thought that probably the IP WAS being revalidated every time. And, since my apparent IP moves every few minutes, this probably is the source of the trouble.

It would not be difficult to just set a session tag (or a cookie) and pass that session tag back and forth to prevent the logouts. I have not bothered to study the incoming HTML source to see if there is such a session tag, but it doesn't matter that much anyway. I can deal with it.

My default is to block all scripts and cookies anyway, unless I particularly need them for site functioning. So, if validation was accomplished that way I still would have problems unless I chose to accommodate the site. I would recognize the symptoms in that case, and would choose to accommodate the site. But, given that IP is apparently being checked, I can't accommodate the site without a major violation of my security protocols.
jiml8

Postby viking60 » Nov 26th, '13, 14:00

Well I do very much appreciate your awareness of the privacy/security issues of the board - of most boards. It would be more fitting to discuss this in the phpbb forums.

It is a tradeoff; with TOR the board gets Alzheimer and does not remember you - that is a good thing for privacy minded people (and I do applaud them - more people should be aware of these things). But you cannot expect Christmas cards and birthday congratulations from someone that has forgotten you - in fact you cannot expect to stay logged in for very long. The Devil always works with temptation so his evil plan is for you to drop TOR :D
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Return to Discussions about forums