Email notifications

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Email notifications

Postby zeebra » Oct 23rd, '13, 22:03

I haven't had time to check all settings on the forum. But I have checked and changed a lot and I still get emails everytime someone responds to a thread that I am subscribed to.

Is it not possible to be subscribed to a thread without getting emails about it?
zeebra

Re: Email notifications

Postby filip » Oct 23rd, '13, 22:12

I think not. As a workaround just open such a thread and click "Unsubscribe topic" link on bottom.
filip

Postby zeebra » Oct 24th, '13, 14:12

filip wrote:I think not. As a workaround just open such a thread and click "Unsubscribe topic" link on bottom.

That defeats the whole point of being able to participate in a thread without getting emails.
zeebra

Postby jkerr82508 » Oct 24th, '13, 14:29

User Control Panel - Overview - Manage Subscriptions - Mark All - Unwatch Marked.
User control Panel - Board Preferences - Edit posting defaults - Notify me ... NO

You do not need to be subscribed to a forum or topic in order to post. So far as I know, being subscribed means only that you receive notifications.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 24th, '13, 20:48

jkerr82508 wrote:You do not need to be subscribed to a forum or topic in order to post. So far as I know, being subscribed means only that you receive notifications.

Exactly.

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby zeebra » Oct 25th, '13, 12:04

jkerr82508 wrote:User Control Panel - Overview - Manage Subscriptions - Mark All - Unwatch Marked.
User control Panel - Board Preferences - Edit posting defaults - Notify me ... NO

You do not need to be subscribed to a forum or topic in order to post. So far as I know, being subscribed means only that you receive notifications.

Jim

Then I cannot go to "view your posts" and find the active threads I am checking or need assistance for.
Let's say I did that for this thread, then I would have to find it in the forum every time instead of going to "view your posts" to find out if someone answered.

On most forums you can be subscribed to threads without getting email notifications.

I do however try the second solution now "User control Panel - Board Preferences - Edit posting defaults - Notify me ... NO", that should in theory do it.
zeebra

Postby jkerr82508 » Oct 25th, '13, 16:25

zeebra wrote:Then I cannot go to "view your posts" and find the active threads I am checking or need assistance for. Let's say I did that for this thread, then I would have to find it in the forum every time instead of going to "view your posts" to find out if someone answered.

That is not my experience. When I click on "View your posts", I see all of my posts, whether or not I am subscribed to the topics.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 25th, '13, 20:55

Everybody can view all your posts, so can you: search.php?author_id=3483&sr=posts
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Oct 25th, '13, 21:01

When you check the forum with "View active topics" you will find a list of new/unread topics. In this list all topics you participated are marked with a little star in the left side. Enough to let you find "your" topic at first glance without subscribing.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Return to Discussions about forums