Announcments

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Announcments

Postby Max » Jun 15th, '11, 10:45

Can we please move the announcements sub-forum so that it exists in only one place?
I understand why they should be in every forum, but when it gets turned into a discussion (like the release cycle announcement) it becomes very annoying very quickly for two reasons:
    1. Now every single forum shows up with a red icon, indicating that there are unread posts there. This is not actually the case because the unread posts are in the announcement threads.
    2. They don't sync with each other. If I read the new posts in the announcement thread under, say, Mageia Forums, they still show up marked as unread in Welcome Onboard (for example).
    3. There are three reasons.
    4. I'll come in again.
    5. Clicking the "new" button should take me to first unread post in the thread. But in this case it takes me to the first unread post in the thread in this sub-forum. What that means is, let's say I read the entire thread in Welcome Onboard, then somebody posted a new response, and I chose to read it in Mageia Forums, because that's where I happened to be at the time. Clicking the "new" button will now take me to the beginning of the thread, and not to the first unread post (of which there me be several and I would lose track of the discussion...).
Now, in relation to the discussion about who can do what in the forums, I know for a fact that this is a feature that can be changed by an Administrator, meaning somebody who has access to the ACP. I think that means maat, misc and ashledombos.
So, can we please get this taken care of?
Two possible solutions:
Make the announcements locked topics, only Mods can post there.
or
Put them in one place, and only one place.
I am thoroughly aware of the pros and cons of both actions, and why it was set up like this in the first place. So, can we skip that part of pointless discussion and just do something about it?
Thank you.
Max

Re: Announcments

Postby roadrunner » Jun 15th, '11, 11:47

Max wrote:Now, in relation to the discussion about who can do what in the forums, I know for a fact that this is a feature that can be changed by an Administrator, meaning somebody who has access to the ACP. I think that means maat, misc and ashledombos.
So, can we please get this taken care of?
Two possible solutions:
Make the announcements locked topics, only Mods can post there.
or
Put them in one place, and only one place.
I am thoroughly aware of the pros and cons of both actions, and why it was set up like this in the first place. So, can we skip that part of pointless discussion and just do something about it?
Thank you.
May I make a third proposal:
Lock the announcements and make a link in the announcement to a new topic in another board where the announcement can be discussed.

.\\artin
- Mageia6 - 64-bit - Plasma 5.8.7 -
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
- 8Gb RAM - nVidia 8500GT GPU -
roadrunner

Postby wobo » Jun 15th, '11, 11:54

roadrunner wrote:May I make a third proposal:
Lock the announcements and make a link in the announcement to a new topic in another board where the announcement can be discussed.

That's how I set it in another forum:
Official announcements are posted in their own section where only admin has posting rights.
Discussions about these announcements are done in another section.

This keeps announcements in focus, they do not drown in the discussion.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby roadrunner » Jun 15th, '11, 12:02

Yes, precisely :D

.\\artin
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
roadrunner

Postby maat » Jun 15th, '11, 18:08

roadrunner wrote:May I make a third proposal:

.\\artin

Done... let's see if this way give good results. :)
maat

Postby roadrunner » Jun 16th, '11, 12:37

Excellent and thanks for doing it so quickly. All we need now is an announcement to test it out :D

.\\artin
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
roadrunner

Postby wobo » Jun 16th, '11, 13:04

I did a fast look around and I'm not sure you wanted it like this:

To be listed in the "Announcement" section the topic has to be an announcement or a global announcement. So far, so good.
It depends on my permissions to make a topic an announcement. I only have this permission in some parts of the forum (I never understood the criteria for this selection), that means I can only post an announcement in these sections - then this announcement is not shown anywhere else in the forum.

I understood that the goal was to have one announcement section for ALL announcements. Topics related to the announcements can then be opened in the related section.
As it is now each section has its own announcement area which shows the Global Announcements and the announcements of this section.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby roadrunner » Jun 16th, '11, 13:13

Hmmmm, I find this to be a bit confusing but an ideal scenario would be this:

- One single area for all announcements and every announcement locked
- A link at the bottom of each announcement pointing to a new topic in another area where discussions about the announcement can take place

This way, the original announcement doesn't get "tainted" and the original poster doesn't get annoyed if folks rip his announcement apart.

Is this what you meant? :?

.\\artin
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
roadrunner

Postby wobo » Jun 16th, '11, 13:30

roadrunner wrote:Hmmmm, I find this to be a bit confusing but an ideal scenario would be this:

- One single area for all announcements and every announcement locked
- A link at the bottom of each announcement pointing to a new topic in another area where discussions about the announcement can take place

This way, the original announcement doesn't get "tainted" and the original poster doesn't get annoyed if folks rip his announcement apart.

Is this what you meant? :?

Exactly. This is how it is done in many forums.
Of course then it is mandatory to set permissions correctly for those who can make announcements.
The balance between "not too many" and "not too few" depends on the availability of those who have that permission. So, if a user without such permission wants an announcement to be made, there should be somebody available to do it in due time.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby roadrunner » Jun 16th, '11, 13:57

OK, it looks as though we are thinking along the same lines :D

.\\artin
- AMD A6-6400K APU -
roadrunner

Postby Max » Jun 20th, '11, 22:01

OK, can we lock the announcements now? Make them only writable to mods?
Because the other threads (technical specs for Mageia 2 and Mageia 1 we did it) are drawing responses and it's very very annoying.
Max

Return to Discussions about forums