Not a lot of help?

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Not a lot of help?

Postby martinr » Jan 30th, '13, 02:33

Hi,

I am relatively new her, beside I joined the forum 2 years ago.
I never used mageia seriously, now I wanted to give it a try.
I found out that mageia has it very special tricks and tips to do.
I did some specific questions, it was about e17-support, it was about some really annoying failure in installer, I did not receive any satisfying answers for this topics from mods or admins nor from supporters
So this is a little bit frustrating; I am still in the mood to get habituated to mageia, I like it, good style, but I need some help on some asked stuff
Anyway, when it starts to crashing my system and there is no solution in horizont, I prefer to abandon.

Greetings

Martin
martinr

Re: Not a lot of help?

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 30th, '13, 07:00

martinr wrote:it was about some really annoying failure in installer, I did not receive any satisfying answers for this topics from mods or admins nor from supporters

For what it's worth, mods and admins aren't here for support, the major part comes from normal users and forum helpers.
For the partitioning issue, i pointed you to all the information that is available for your question. If that isn't satisfying for you
together with the linked thread about issues when using different partitioning tools and context information i can't really help it.

And another hint, if you want to start with Mageia, you should probably better use a stable release, and not start with
the development version. For cauldron, you may also want to look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Cauldron
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby martinr » Jan 31st, '13, 00:53

doctor5000 said
For the partitioning issue, i pointed you to all the information that is available for your question. If that isn't satisfying for you
together with the linked thread about issues when using different partitioning tools and context information i can't really help it.

good catch, there you got me.
But, excuse my insist, stuff like this should be worth a sticky topic or at least get an entrance in wiki, what - so far speaking only for me - I only start to read after some issue happened, like in my case with some orphaned packages that I hopefully deleted; mea culpa.

On the other hand, asking a simple question about e17-support for mageia2 (what is running beautiful on my test-laptop, let you know this, no problems up to now) and getting no answer since nearly a week, for me it is a fault of respect... this here is the official mageia-forum?
If it is, someone of the debs or admins could have given some advice, users can not know about this, so I can't expect help from this side
Forum-Search and wiki-search didn't bring any result about my e17-search, search is normally first stuff what I do, then asking when I do not find any answer.
Sometimes I fail, for sure, and do not see something obvious

Greetz
Martin
martinr

Postby jkerr82508 » Jan 31st, '13, 02:05

martinr wrote:On the other hand, asking a simple question about e17-support for mageia2 ...and getting no answer since nearly a week, for me it is a fault of respect... this here is the official mageia-forum?

I don't think any lack of respect is intended. I suspect that, like me, most Forum participants have little or no experience with E-17 and therefore ignored a thread about it.

You did not provide a link to your E-17 thread, but if this is it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4268

Then the answers to your two questions:

will there be the new e17.0 be available for mageia2?

Unlikely. Mageia only provides version updates when a new release of the distro is made, or occasionally because providing a new version is the only way to fix a critical bug. (The released version is still available in the repositories. Just install task-e17)

is it possible, mix packages from different distros of mageia or will you run in hassle doing this?

This is definitely not recommended. It can often result in your system becoming unstable.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 31st, '13, 07:18

martinr wrote:I only start to read after some issue happened, like in my case with some orphaned packages that I hopefully deleted; mea culpa.

Well, as it is a wiki, and if you think it should be documented in there for easier access, feel free to add a page for it, stickingto the naming conventions: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Wiki_and_Doc ... age_naming

For the orphans: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Removing_packages
And i've made the partitioning issue now a sticky thread. But that does not change the fact that it would have come up within search results, so i partly fail to see your point there. If you would have looked for partititioning issues before the problem occured, you would have found it.
martinr wrote:On the other hand, asking a simple question about e17-support for mageia2 (what is running beautiful on my test-laptop, let you know this, no problems up to now) and getting no answer since nearly a week, for me it is a fault of respect... this here is the official mageia-forum?

Yes, this is the official international Mageia forum. For what it's worth, there's also an official german one: https://forums.mageia.org/de

Mageia consists of volunteers, and all support is done by volunteers. If you received no answer, then the cause is most likely
to be lack of time, or that nobody knows the answer to your problem, or that there are not that much users with that particular problem around
(or e17 users in general) I fail to see how a missing answer directly translates to disrespect. Be patient, someone may answer. If that is not the case,
feel free to also ask in IRC or via the mailing lists, as that can reach another circle of users.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/IRC
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_subsc ... ling_lists

Also, there was an answer in your thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4268
I don't know what's your problem with that. The e17 packages for Mageia 2 have always been called e-0.16.999.xxx
and it will probably not receive a major upgrade. As per your first post there you're trying Mageia 2, but seem
to want to upgrade to cauldron e17 packages, that is likely to fail ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby martinr » Feb 1st, '13, 00:25

Thank you both, Jim and doctor5000, for your clarifications.
So I will continue to run occasianally mageia2 on older laptop and leave my hands from installing mageia3.
For sure you are right when saying, first reading then using is the best way to avoid hassle.

If I see a new or interesting distro, for sure I search for information, have a view in wiki and forum about known problems, if it looks ok, download and run it as live-cd. If behaviour is good, may be I install it, with most preference on the older laptop. If it behaves good, can stay there, if I see I do not use it, it will be substituted..But it is not possible to run all possibilities before really using the distro, and so can happen something bad anytime and anywhere.

So I will stay fiel to opensuse, even in alpha/beta/rc most trustable

Greetings

Martin
martinr

Return to Discussions about forums