[POLL] Do yo want the ability to organize posts into columns

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Do you want the ability to make columns?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 7

[POLL] Do yo want the ability to organize posts into columns

Postby viking60 » Dec 11th, '12, 14:20

There is this possibility to give your posts columns. That way we do not have to "scroll to the bottom" all the time. You can make it fit nicely on one page!
You can illustrate your post with images next to your all important text, or simply put the long text in two columns.
What an opportunity eh? So do you want that opportunity? There is absolutely no one forcing you to use it - you just can - if it is implemented.
Example here
and
here,
here, and
here

(I feel a bit like the Swiss canton here where they asked the women if the wanted the right to vote - and they said no! :shock: - but wobo wanted me to do it Image)

Col works like this:
Code: Select all
[col]Text for column1 one here lurem ips etc etc ---> |<--- (that is the column separator) text for column two here bla bla...[/col]
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Re: [POLL] Do yo want the ability to organize posts into col

Postby viking60 » Dec 12th, '12, 00:02

Looks like a lost case, Will the last person please vote too, so that we can get the usual 5? I know it will not alter the majority, but I like things to be tidy, so that I can start the "do you want a Ferrari" Poll :D
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 12th, '12, 00:43

Let the polls run for a month.
Look at the forum and count the active people. I bet a leg of my favourite roach if you are lucky you will see maximum 10-15 voters on each poll.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby dubigrasu » Dec 12th, '12, 13:25

I see three votes against it, why would anyone vote against an option? Is there a downside?
dubigrasu

Postby wobo » Dec 12th, '12, 13:59

dubigrasu wrote:Is there a downside?

This was not the question. The question is whether I want it or not. I don't need or wish it, so I answer "no".
If the question was, "Are you against the ability...", then my answer would have been "no". Meaning: I do not need or want it but I would not be against its implementation.

But yes, IMHO there are downsides of this BBcode.
- It would possibly lead to even more pictures and blingbling and other unnecessary things, annoying people with weak internet connection.
- It would make it hard for people with small screens (10" or even 7"). With such screens you would have to scroll sideways all the time when just one user in a thread uses this BBcode. Believe me, I checked the examples given by viking with my 10" netbook - not something I'd like.

Still I'm not really against it
wobo
---
wobo

Postby Lebarhon » Dec 12th, '12, 20:45

hello,
wobo wrote: - It would possibly lead to even more pictures and blingbling and other unnecessary things, annoying people with weak internet connection.
- It would make it hard for people with small screens (10" or even 7"). With such screens you would have to scroll sideways all the time when just one user in a thread uses this BBcode.

It should be possible to limit the pictures size. But yes, I agree, to scroll sideways is unbearable.
Lebarhon

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '12, 23:14

Lebarhon wrote:It should be possible to limit the pictures size.

That's one point i totally don't understand: If one wants to link external pictures, only 640x480 are allowed.
If you upload your own pictures, theres IMHO no size/resolution restriction, and it's not even possible to scale down such pictures,
so you need to scroll around to see the whole thing if you don't want to open it separately.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Dec 13th, '12, 08:01

doktor5000 wrote:That's one point i totally don't understand: If one wants to link external pictures, only 640x480 are allowed.
If you upload your own pictures, theres IMHO no size/resolution restriction, and it's not even possible to scale down such pictures,
so you need to scroll around to see the whole thing if you don't want to open it separately.

And now see such a 1024x768 large picture beside a text column - a nuisance and annoying idea.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 13th, '12, 14:58

wobo wrote:
dubigrasu wrote:Is there a downside?

This was not the question. The question is whether I want it or not. I don't need or wish it, so I answer "no".
If the question was, "Are you against the ability...", then my answer would have been "no". Meaning: I do not need or want it but I would not be against its implementation.

But yes, IMHO there are downsides of this BBcode.
- It would possibly lead to even more pictures and blingbling and other unnecessary things, annoying people with weak internet connection.
- It would make it hard for people with small screens (10" or even 7"). With such screens you would have to scroll sideways all the time when just one user in a thread uses this BBcode. Believe me, I checked the examples given by viking with my 10" netbook - not something I'd like.

Still I'm not really against it

Uh? So you are for it and against it and voted "no"? :shock: I am a simple Magazine reader so when I ask "do you want the ability" I do not see how forming it as "are you against the ability" would influence any ones choice.

Regarding the downsides to this BBCode I cannot see that any argument regarding pictures are relevant. This BBCode has nothing to do with pictures. People can upload download and implement pictures as much as they want anyway.
(and I will claim that a discussions of picture sizes here areImage)
Small screen and smartphone displays are ... well small... so scrolling would come as no surprise to them. Personally I would think it makes sense to regard this forum an instrument for PC's and laps - not Smartphones.
A template for small screens is not a bad idea though - since a lot of people are on tablets these days. But that would be another poll.
So dubigrasu is absolutely right: You are voting against the option/possibility if you say no, AFAICT.
(But that is only my opinion - I will of course respect a majority that is against it(
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 14th, '12, 13:17

viking60 wrote:Uh? So you are for it and against it and voted "no"? :shock: I am a simple Magazine reader so when I ask "do you want the ability" I do not see how forming it as "are you against the ability" would influence any ones choice.

Question 1: "No" means I don't want it myself but I don't care whether it's implemented or not.
Question 2: "No" means I don't care, "Yes" means I am against implementing this BBcode here.
Does that better explain the difference?

Regarding the downsides to this BBCode I cannot see that any argument regarding pictures are relevant. This BBCode has nothing to do with pictures. People can upload download and implement pictures as much as they want anyway.
The first of your examples shows the point very clearly. And for your second point about screen size: I have a 10" netbook with 1024 screen width. If you send a 1024 wide picture this is ok, but if i want to read a second column besides the picture I have to scroll sideways. Yes, it is a computer, not a smartphone or a tablet!
Besides, looking at the Mandriva forum and here I would say that you like to post large pictures instead of showing just the URL and telling what it is about.

BTW: The width of 1024 is a critical edge on all websites, it is the natural (or native) width of monitors/screens for computers - others below (800 or less) are for mobile devices like smartphones or small tablets.

But ok, I have written my personal position, that's enough. Now ask others,. I am just 1 of many. :)
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 15th, '12, 01:55

Question 1: "No" means I don't want it myself but I don't care whether it's implemented or not.
Question 2: "No" means I don't care, "Yes" means I am against implementing this BBcode here.
Does that better explain the difference?

Yes and it also shows that people might have different reasons for voting - the distinction is insignificant.
BTW: The width of 1024 is a critical edge on all websites, it is the natural (or native) width of monitors/screens for computers - others below (800 or less) are for mobile devices like smartphones or small tablets.

Which one of the given examples does not fit within 1024 width?

EDIT: Poll has been out for almost a year - and I know when I am beaten - so I have respected the wishes of the community and marked the WIKI page as WONTFIX.
viking60

Return to Discussions about forums