[POLL] BBCode poll

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Are you against more BBCodes?

No
88%
Yes
No votes
I dont know
13%

Total votes : 8

[POLL] BBCode poll

Postby viking60 » Dec 10th, '12, 16:31

BBCodes are those nice functions that you have on top of your entry when you post or edit like qoute and code etc...
These can be extended to integrate youtube and vimeo videos and spoilers to hide them, and make columns and a lot more, So basically they ad functionality. Nobody has to use them but if they are there - people can.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6834
From the bug:
The spoiler thing is good for movies dedicated forums but we are not operating
such forum. Our needs are much more complex.

Hmm I think this would fit in such a forum
PS I would recommend that a moderator moves this to the "discussion about forums" section (I just crated it where I was allowed to)
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Re: BBCode poll

Postby wobo » Dec 10th, '12, 17:20

I can safely answer "I'm not against additional BBCode", but that does not say anything about my opinion for any single BBCode. May also be that I would not like any of the suggested codes.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 10th, '12, 17:52

Yes But it is a start. If everybody is against adding the flexibility of more BBCodes then the discussion about every single one of them would be obsolete.
I see great support advantages in implementing videos like this inxi video. And I do not like the adds on that video once it is finished, so hence I am also a spolier fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BxGwRD-wk

The point being that nobody had the idea of starting any poll for 19 months and yet people make references to majorities that they even do not know if they exist. You are representing the "reactionaries" here :) (and thank you for reacting! )
Mine was an attempt to be one of the "proactionaries"... :D

Maybe people will create better formulated polls regarding
Spoiler
Youtube
vimeo
Col

Now that they see how leading and terrible and general mine was?

I will immediately applaud it, and see the errors of my ways... (action before perfection is good in this case.)

In my defense though : this is nothing that will affect people much - they can use the code or they can leave it alone. That kind of makes the general poll somewhat usable. I cannot imagine that someone would actually be annoyed by added flexibility/BBCode it is just more to choose from...
So why not add all of them?
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 11th, '12, 08:21

The point being that nobody had the idea of starting any poll for 19 months and yet people make references to majorities that they even do not know if they exist. You are representing the "reactionaries" here :) (and thank you for reacting! )
Mine was an attempt to be one of the "proactionaries"... :D

My position is more that this poll was unnecessary because I do not think that anybody can say "yes" here - what about BBCode which makes sense and makes forum life more comfortable? I do not think there is anybody who would rule out ALL BBcode as a general point.
BTW: I take no other position than my own, so I look at a BBCode and judge then, not in general. So I do not fit into any group of your design. :)

viking60 wrote:So why not add all of them?

Personnaly I would not like youtube videos being displayed in the forum, a link to the original page would be totally sufficient. There's a lot of people out there who have different opinions about what videos are jokes and which videos are disgusting or offensive or even illegal. When such videos are hidden under spoilers it is harder to control the contents of this forum. So, spoilers are only ok when you describe the contents of the spoiler before, which makes a spoiler unnecessary.

And to add because you talked about it, opening a link in a new tab is the better solution because for the forum the forum page has the top priority and the page to stay on. Go visiting links on other pages but keep the forum page at hand to return to.

Some BBCodes are great and make sense, some not.
wobo
---
wobo

Re: [POLL] BBCode poll

Postby viking60 » Dec 11th, '12, 13:41

Yes well so what specific BBCode do you want to add?
(The general discussion is always an argument for doing nothing) Is it your position that we should make a poll for every possible BBCode out there?
In any case I would like to take the opportunity to play the ball over to the guys that suggested them (If they are still here) to make a poll regarding their specific suggestion (after some "waiting time" there is good reason to believe that no one else is going to do it).

And for that it really should be possible to create a poll here! Image Are you listening admins!?
Add all the suggested BBCode... or make democracy possible :!:
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 11th, '12, 17:00

viking60 wrote:Yes well so what specific BBCode do you want to add?
None. Oh, wait, 2 BBCodes for the editor: the one to strike a charakter/word and one to put a horizontal line to separate sections of a post.

Is it your position that we should make a poll for every possible BBCode out there?
Yes, similar to what you say. First we have the request by one user. If nobody seconds that request it may not be popular enough. If users reject the request as well as other users second the request then a poll is waiting.

And for that it really should be possible to create a poll here! Image Are you listening admins!?
Add all the suggested BBCode... or make democracy possible :!:
Well, when I open the section "Discussions about forum" and click on "New topic" I see 3 tabs beneath the editor window: Options, Upload, and Poll. Of course this only works with the first post of a thread, not during a running thread. If you can't see this then blame it on the chaotic mixture of permissions - an issue which was raised right after the forum was created and never responded to by anybody (read the doktor's complaint about that as of today).
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 11th, '12, 21:24

Yeah I see it now. I was pretty sure I could not see it before, but maybe I have been wrong.
Anyway.... then life is good and all the people that have suggested code can now create their polls here - I have done my part and added the col poll.
So that the usual 8 people can vote...this might be a storm in a glass of water.
The interest does not seem to be that big.... Let us keep the polls up there for 19 months or until we have 100 votes and see if that changes anything.
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 11th, '12, 21:55

wobo wrote:
None. Oh, wait, 2 BBCodes for the editor: the one to strike a charakter/word and one to put a horizontal line to separate sections of a post.

I'm all for the former, you have at least two votes from me for strikethrough markup, as already existent in the german forum :/
The latter could also be of use to all, who want to structure longer posts, like the MAQeias ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Dec 11th, '12, 23:54

wobo wrote:

Is it your position that we should make a poll for every possible BBCode out there?
Yes, similar to what you say. First we have the request by one user. If nobody seconds that request it may not be popular enough. If users reject the request as well as other users second the request then a poll is waiting.

Well you suggested it and the Doctor seconds it; so now you have to make a poll!Image
It is clear by an overwhelming and undisputed landslide of 5 that we want more BBCode - so now we only have to clear which ones...
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '12, 00:37

Well to be honest additionally smilies are also near the top of the priority list :|
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Dec 12th, '12, 00:50

viking60 wrote:Well you suggested it and the Doctor seconds it; so now you have to make a poll!
It is clear by an overwhelming and undisputed landslide of 5 that we want more BBCode - so now we only have to clear which ones...

No, they only stated that they are not against more BBCode, they did not say they want more. You should have phrased that poll different to get the result you want :)

To say it clearly: I also would say that some points in this BBCode crusade may be nice to have, but on my list they (including smilies) are way down below more pressing matters about the forum..
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 12th, '12, 10:20

Regardless of the poll: I quoted you when you taught the world exactly how this should be done.Image
Good show there - tell everybody how it is done and then don't do it - you can always pull the priority card.

Just out of interest since you have had smilies (or something else?) higher on your priority list for 19 months too - why has nothing happened there? I mean you must be working on it all the time since you cannot find one minute to make a poll ?
Is this just a case of empty barrels making the most noise?

Be honest... and say it as it is: that you never in your wildest dreams had any plan of doing anything about more BBCode - so you should have voted no here....and spared us the lectures about how wrong an actual initiative, is done. Is it you to the left here?
I will now join you on the balcony and comment on the accomplishments of your priority list.......
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 12th, '12, 11:04

No, I would rather match Statler than Waldorff on the balcony.

But who are you talking to? I have nothing to do with the work which has to be done, and those who have have other priorities and if I had something to do with this work I would have done it 18 months ago. Again, who are you talking to?

Yes, I wrote the usual way such a request could be handled, but that does not mean that I have such a request. Even if I have as I wrote does not mean I have to make a request because I know that at the moment there's nobody there to work on it. Where have you been all the time that you did not read what has been written multiple times?
wobo
---
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 12th, '12, 23:10

viking60 wrote:Just out of interest since you have had smilies (or something else?) higher on your priority list for 19 months too - why has nothing happened there? I mean you must be working on it all the time since you cannot find one minute to make a poll ?
Is this just a case of empty barrels making the most noise?

Be honest... and say it as it is: that you never in your wildest dreams had any plan of doing anything about more BBCode - so you should have voted no here....and spared us the lectures about how wrong an actual initiative, is done. Is it you to the left here?

Are you talking to me? I was talking about my personal priorities list, and yes as smilies have been requested a really long time ago and are used by many people and can make the forum more lively and happy (just look at your posts) i've put them near the top of my imaginary wishlist with changes for the forum. But as you should already have learned, i cannot implement anything, i cannot even moderate properly, as i'm not granted the rights to do so, even when moderators are scarce and totally understaffed IMHO. But that's another story. Even the PHP hackers who volunteered to help with the forums hacking cannot continue their work, as first our overworked sysadmins and maybe web team need to provide a testing VM so that hacking can be done safely and tested.

That's why i tried to help with organizing the forums team, helping organize and relaunch Mageia forum helpers, writing MAQeia, listing and discussing forums issues on forums-discuss mailing list and in general doing support here and doing as much moderation as i can to with my current permissions as a helper. You seem to forget rather often that we're supposed to be on the same side, as one community. :|

Apart from that, why should i make a poll? What would that achieve? And a poll about what?
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Dec 13th, '12, 15:25

Ok what I am trying to bring over is this:
If someone - anyone - with no priority other than making this one contribution - takes an initiative to move things forward (19 months - remember?) then they should not be met with "this is not important to me" and "that Poll is formulated in the wrong way".
why should i make a poll? What would that achieve? And a poll about what?

I suggested that the ones who suggested the Code should also make the poll. I respect that you really have other things to do (and you do them extremely well!)
But Wobo has found the time to have an opinion regarding the poll - a negative one. He could have started one (and pray that I, and others did not start to pick on his formulations )
Who is going to dare to make a poll now? With you two grumpy guys on the Balcony?
Think it, but don't say it!
Do I make sense?

(I do admit that it is a bit unfair to use Wobo and you as examples because you have done a lot here - but you have that robust nature - so you can take it. :D Can you imagine how I feel with the great Doctor and Wobo ganging up on me Image)
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 13th, '12, 22:45

To be honest, i think you're wasting major time over minor issues, when there is much bigger fish to fry ...
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Dec 13th, '12, 23:42

You might be absolutely right! But is not the moral of that statement that no one should do anything small - not even try (My big fish..or the highway)?
While we are waiting for the big fish to hit the pan - nothing much happens. And when we are hungry and go for the small fish the Grumpy Balcony guys will know how to discourage us...
The very core of contribution is to do whatever small part one can do IMHO.
We are starving to death here while we are waiting for big fishes...
I don't like Whales (no fish - but it is big and tastes terrible) I am a herring kind of guy. But the point is taken - I wont waste any more time...
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 14th, '12, 08:07

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to prevent you from contributing your part, far from that.
But the point is, those small changes (together with the big changes) cannot be implemented currently
as explained above, as we are missing ressources and the prerequirements to test them/deploy them.
----
doktor5000

Return to Discussions about forums