RSS Feed?

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

RSS Feed?

Postby viking60 » Oct 7th, '12, 17:52

I must be blind today! I wrote a tip about RSS feed in the terminal and wanted to add a link from here. I probably just have overlooked it so could someone point me in the right direction?
Or is it not an added feature yet?
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Re: RSS Feed?

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 7th, '12, 23:29

You mean an RSS feed for new posts/threads in the forum?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Oct 8th, '12, 01:47

Yes basically, but any other RSS feed will do for that matter.
viking60

Postby wobo » Oct 8th, '12, 07:42

If any MOD for RSS is installed here - I did not find it. I that I had a MOD for RSS integrated in phpBB3 for MandrivaUser.de - but removed it during last update because nobody seemed to use it. What I want to say, there are some MODs for that listed on this page: https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=RSS. I agree, it would be an improvement for people who do not visit on a regular schedule.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby viking60 » Oct 8th, '12, 12:29

Ok I have done my homework on the news feed in the terminal. Since I realized that it is not in the repos and not here
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7735
Your turn to formally request the forum mod :D
viking60

Postby wobo » Oct 8th, '12, 13:57

I never needed it for myself because I browse the forum (almost) daily. "Active topics" lists all new or changed threads, no need to look elsewhere for a feed which does the same.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Oct 8th, '12, 15:44

wobo wrote:I never needed it for myself because I browse the forum (almost) daily. "Active topics" lists all new or changed threads, no need to look elsewhere for a feed which does the same.

Ahem I fail to see much strength in that argument. You do see the advantages for the forum and agree that it is a function that will benefit the ones that do not visit every day.

Based on that; the following would be fair assumptions:
1 Traffic will increase with RSS feed
2. I can't remember - but it was good....

So why not be a hero and do it for all the eager people who are sitting on the edge of their chairs cheering for an RSS-feed (screaming go wobo - no doubt) - even if you personally do not need it?
Being alone in the forum is no fun and you would probably not need that personally either.
I have enough with advocating some added BBC-code and need to see one single implementation of any suggestion already made, before I dare make another one...
Although I would understand if RSS feed would get a higher priority than BBC-code.

And admit it "Wobo the hero" does sound good - Maybe even better than Baron....
[Spot where I would have put a pic of Red Baron Wobo Samedi if I had had a spoiler]

PS: I do realize that this RSS -feed looks like a suggestion - but only by mistake because I thought it was already present....
viking60

Postby wobo » Oct 8th, '12, 16:08

Yes. If it were 2011 you were absolutely right with almost each of your words (except for the "wobo the hero" stuff). :)
Times change. Let me explain:

For some time now I have been just a normal user who sits on the edge of my chair, cheering for any improvement as long as I need it. In that case (and as an obedient Mageia user) I would fill a request form with my wish. As I said; it's not my wish (although I have nothing against it), so why should I fill a request form when almost everybody here in this forum knows how to do that?
Even you who is asking for that MOD sits back because you think you have done enough with advocating other things. I also advocated lots of stuff, whether I personnally need it or like it or not. But now I neither hold any position here nor am I a contributor of any kind. May be you did not notice.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby isadora » Oct 9th, '12, 09:00

What happens, when in Firefox you choose:
Bookmarks->Subscribe to This Page?
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Oct 9th, '12, 09:26

Also in the forum you can subscribe to all or selected sections, f.ex. if you are interested in community chatting, then you can subscribe to "The Wizard's Lair" and you will get notification about new posts/threads according to your settings in your profile. It's almost the same as RSS, except for the style of the notification.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby isadora » Oct 9th, '12, 09:28

Okay, thank you for that wobo.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby viking60 » Oct 9th, '12, 11:01

Hey Mageia does have RSS feeds!
http://blog.mageia.org/en/feed
I can use that in my tip. Regarding this forum I had a small look in the crystal ball and I se a dynamic decision of not implementing it in our future......
viking60

Postby wobo » Oct 9th, '12, 11:34

Yes, everybody who glanced at the blog page knows that it has a feed. The button is large enough for that. :)
As for your crystal - crystal balls are overrated since they have been on Walmart shelves !
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Oct 9th, '12, 11:58

Image Yes I was in fact looking for any RSS feed to use as an example for my fantastic "RSS in the terminal tip" Then I realised I had used Mandriva for the test, only to discover that newsbeuter is not in the Mageia repos. Image ..Not my best of days....Going to fire up Arch now...
viking60

Return to Discussions about forums