Some BBCode reccomendations

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Re: Some BBCode reccomendations

Postby viking60 » Jan 21st, '12, 03:07

We have an agreement that a spoiler is nice then. That is nice :D
It can be implemented during a brake from the need tasks. I will not be the one that keeps anyone from action. I would encourage it and applaud Initiative even if someone occasionally falls on his nose. As always nothing done=nothing done wrong.
The proportions are small - and naturally smaller for wobo than for me, because I am higher up on the need scale.
But in any case something that should be left to the admins: So here we are; with a list of suggestion from dedicated forum members.
Remains to be seen what the admins choose to do about it. :?:
(He said while he was patiently waiting - I am cool 8-) )
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby barjac » Jun 24th, '12, 21:48

I left the forum as I was so frustrated with the lack of progress on this.
I recently got lured back to answer some questions and almost immediately hit the same issues that drove me away.
Yes I know how to hold down CTRL but it's too easy to make a mistake and lose half an hour's work.
Note that mine was the first reply on this topic viewtopic.php?p=167#p167

Come on - 14 months to do nothing about this?
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 24th, '12, 21:55

FWIW, was this reported as a bug/feature request?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby barjac » Jun 24th, '12, 23:13

Probably not - but I don't really want to start another bug 1956 style epic.
Maybe someone else will ;)
Add this icon to your KDE desktop - save as "About.desktop" http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=X10X1Ype
barjac

Postby viking60 » Jul 20th, '12, 14:05

OK You have helped me out before so I guess I owe you one ;)
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6834
viking60

Postby barjac » Jul 20th, '12, 15:02

Nice - thanks ;)
OK I give up - what's a spoiler?
barjac

Postby viking60 » Jul 20th, '12, 17:28

That is a container that can contain long elaborations or code or videos and images. It helps keeping the overview. Here is an example and here
Click the show buttons.
viking60

Postby barjac » Jul 21st, '12, 00:37

Thanks - I guessed it must be something like that but I had never seen an example in a forum. Yes I agree - a useful feature if it stops people posting full size screen shots ;)
barjac

Postby johnpate » Nov 13th, '12, 21:51

19 Months ...
johnpate

Postby johnpate » Nov 13th, '12, 22:07

johnpate

Re: Some BBCode recommendations

Postby marja » Nov 16th, '12, 15:15

johnpate wrote:19 Months ...

johnpate wrote:The bug remains unfixed :

lol

Hi John,

The pleasure you had when you wrote this, made me think. At first I couldn't understand it.

After some time, it dawned on me that I might be taking my voluntary work here too seriously. Life will go on, regardless of whether Mageia flourishes or not and regardless of whether we get everything, nothing or only half done of what we plan to do.

It would be very good to think "life will go on" from time to time, just to relieve the pressure when we get frustrated about what we have not achieved, and now and then having a laugh about ourselves and our failures would probably be even better.

Not that I'm already rolling over from laughter about the things I failed to do for Mageia. There is a hesitant beginning of a smile, though, and that soothes a bit :)

Thanks, John,
Marja
marja

Postby viking60 » Nov 28th, '12, 23:19

:D
viking60

Postby wobo » Nov 29th, '12, 08:09

marja wrote:
johnpate wrote:The bug remains unfixed :
lol

The pleasure you had when you wrote this, made me think. At first I couldn't understand it.
My impression of this "lol" is more the impression of a bitter / ironic laughter.

Life will go on, regardless of whether Mageia flourishes or not and regardless of whether we get everything, nothing or only half done of what we plan to do.
Ah, you are catching up with me, :) Unfortunately it took very long until I found my main mistake: I took myself and my work as too important - which it never was.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby marja » Nov 29th, '12, 13:42

wobo wrote:My impression of this "lol" is more the impression of a bitter / ironic laughter.

You could be right, there. :? That implies pain, doesn't it? :(
Anyway, my wish for all forum visitors is to have the laughter that is joyous and freeing. 8-)

wobo wrote:
Life will go on, regardless of whether Mageia flourishes or not and regardless of whether we get everything, nothing or only half done of what we plan to do.
Ah, you are catching up with me, :) Unfortunately it took very long until I found my main mistake: I took myself and my work as too important - which it never was.

Ah, you reached that level of wisdom before me :-D

We're never too old to learn ;)
marja

Postby wobo » Nov 29th, '12, 14:48

marja wrote:We're never too old to learn ;)

But sometimes we are too young.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby barjac » Nov 29th, '12, 14:58

I wish ...
barjac

Postby viking60 » Dec 3rd, '12, 14:24

Yeah many people are to young here :D
Just to recapitulate the status as I understand it then:
Spoilers = WONTFIX
(Maat does not want them and he is the only one who could implement them)
Link in new tab = WONTFIX
(It has not been cleared if people want them and the Admin is against it; the only one?)
Col=WONTFIX
Is it safe to assume that in fact not any of the suggested BBC code ("simple 3 liners") implementations are suitable for this forum according to the Board-sysadmin?

The manpower problem is understood and we do not want to "kill" anyone over this, but it is really hard to understand why the "simple 3 liners" are all dumped then, and suggestions that would mean a far greater workload are made with considerable ease..??
Also I would suggest that those phpBB admin rights are given to way more people so that there can be a cooperation (the admin rights should not be all "blocking" rights IMHO)Image.

The cosmetics of "we could start a poll" after 19 months of inaction is almost offending.

I would prefer the simple and honest closing of this bug as WONTFIX.
Not even:
Code: Select all
sudo fix BBCode
seems to work... :o

I guess there must be a plan.

Something way above me....Image

I think we all have learned that suggestions regarding this board are not to be made lightly.
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 3rd, '12, 15:14

Unfortunately you still put this issue on the forum admin's desk alone - which is not true.

The phpBB3 forum code was implemented in a way which would care about a mass of forums (en, de, br_pt, fr, etc. etc.). So a code change always has to be done in 2 steps: change the code in testing, then let it be implemented into the proper code. To do this the forum admin needs the cooperation of a sysadmin. And this cooperation was the main reason almost nothing was done so far. Don't misunderstand me, I do not blame one single forum admin or one single sysadmin, I just explain that the whole story is a situation of lack of communication, beside the workload of each member of these teams.

In short:
Assuming all BBcode requests are blocked by one person is not true. These WONTFIX tags are the result of the whole situation, not of the likings or dislike of the forum admin.

Personally, thinking back, when I knew then what I know now I would have supported those who wanted a stand-alone German Mageia forum. But that's a page of yesterday's news.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 4th, '12, 00:02

Main problem is that even if someone would hack on the code and whip up a patch to apply against current forum setup,
there is currently no way to test this in a safe testing environment, as the VM for that and the database, cleaned of personal information,
has to be created first by a sysadmin. sysadmins are currently totally understaffed, and overworked, so it cannot be implemented in near future.

You have my word, you will be the first one to be notified if something changes regarding that situation.

If you really want that, we could close the bugs as WONTFIX, even if that is not the case in reality, and that
also does not change the situation described above, as we still need that testbed to test forum updates and stuff like that.

*sigh*
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Dec 4th, '12, 03:42

Thanks for the info guys.
@wobo
I get that the structure is the problem, regarding putting it on one persons table I have only taken the Board Admin up on his word. In that bug he makes it quite clear that he is against BBCodes like links in new tabs and Spoilers. That made me think that the odds for getting any of them are rather bad - I might be mistaken?
Even with an underworked sysadmin with all the time in the world - he is against it, afaict.

That is fair enough; even a Board admin is entitled to an opinion :D (and I pretty much disagree with everything regarding BBCode).

@Doktor5000
I think the bug should be reflecting reality so if what you say is true - it should stay open. As stated above I had the impression that there is no will to implement BBCode.
For that the Wontfix tag is most fitting.

And I would like to thank all the overworked people who are contributing - many good people there. So forgive me for the impatience regarding this forum - there is not much movement to be seen, on the surface, as so many have pointed out - very correctly. sigh*

I understand that there is a structure that is not easy to touch - even scary. So I guess we have a catch 22 here?
Just out of interest. Would it even make sense to upgrade the forum without the data? Why must they be stripped? Does the setup require hacking on the phpbb source code or is it a matter of "Templating"?
viking60

Postby morgano » Dec 10th, '12, 12:00

I just want to state that before introducing changes to forum behaviour there should be some voting.

I definately do not want to have my normal control over my browser spoled by "automatic link in new tab", as i want the forum to act as a sane web site and let me control the browser myself.
I have it in my fingertips, naturally as riding a bike and i would hate it the bike would decide for itself hot to turn, it is as idiotic as automatic gear change in a car in winter.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby barjac » Dec 10th, '12, 13:56

morgano wrote:I definately do not want to have my normal control over my browser spoled by "automatic link in new tab"

I don't care whether it's in a new tab or not, so long as I can return to the forum post that I was working on and continue to complete it, without having to remember to do keyboard gymnastics first to avoid losing my work.
I never lose bug reports, so it can be done.
barjac

Postby viking60 » Dec 10th, '12, 16:12

+1 Barry it is most annoying it should be possible to stay on the post and click links. (This post will annoy you:)
BBCodes are those nice functions that you have on top of your entry when you post or edit like qoute and code etc...
These can be extended to integrate youtube and vimeo videos and spoilers to hide them, and make columns and a lot more, So basically they ad functionality. Nobody has to use them but if they are there - people can.
I do see that there should be a vote but mortals like me cannot create those polls here so we will have to live with the speculations regarding peoples views since no one has found the time to create one.
It should look something like this
Edit: I just discovered that I can create a poll in another forum so gimme a minute ... Here it is

Link to new tab poll

After 19 months the voting can begin...(I am as much to blame as everybody else: I simply assumed I could not contribute with a poll anywhere, since I could not do it here :oops: )
viking60

Postby wobo » Dec 10th, '12, 17:12

As you can see from numerous posts, there is no sense in starting polls before it is cleared that (and how) somebody is able and willing to respond to the result of a poll.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » Dec 10th, '12, 18:04

Sorry..... I should have waited I am sure. :shock: Go easy on me: I meant no harm.... :oops:
I have been a bad boy Imageand I will never do it again I promise! I'll be good Image
viking60

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions about forums