Some BBCode reccomendations

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Re: Some BBCode reccomendations

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 10th, '12, 23:42

^^^^ :)

Well, i'll vote against the new-tab thing. I'm accustomed to always use middle-click to open and close tabs, this works everywhere equally well.

For the cache-thing which Barry mentioned, yes that is defintely frustrating, causes data-loss and should be fixed.
Maat recognized this partly in https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6834#c12
And before implementing new stuff, IMHO things like that causing data loss should be treated with a much higher priority.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Dec 11th, '12, 08:46

doktor5000 wrote:Well, i'll vote against the new-tab thing

So do it! :) I already have because I am in the same position and I think that this forum is the page with top priority (at least for those who run it).

Of course there is a clear priority ranking in the TODO list of this forum, as the doktor pointed out.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby wobo » Dec 11th, '12, 08:49

viking60 wrote:I have been a bad boy Imageand I will never do it again I promise! I'll be good Image
Now, who do you think will believe this? Image
wobo
---
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 18th, '14, 16:44

To pull this out from the grave again:

- I've copied over the existing strikethrough BBcode from the german forum and added it here too
- I've added spoiler BBcode
- I've added col BBcode - although it only supports two columns

- I've not seen the BBcode for opening links in new tabs in the initial post from max ... ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Apr 25th, '14, 02:06

Spoiler:
See? I have been good all the time and waited and waited and waited.... Good to see that the suggestions are finally implemented though. Those who do not like them do not have to use them - and all the others have now gotten more options. Has your status been lifted since you are able to do this now?

Or have you simply been stubborn and mean for all this time :mrgreen:
Good show!

The Link in new tab is a small mod if I remember correctly:
https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/making ... w-windows/
Image Flexibility is good and inxi is good... install both!
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 25th, '14, 23:10

viking60 wrote:Has your status been lifted since you are able to do this now?

Or have you simply been stubborn and mean for all this time :mrgreen:

I'm pretty stubborn and also pretty mean, BOFH-style, you know? :twisted:
Just kidding, actually forgot about the fact that I was granted admin rights some time ago.

For the mod, not OK with me as already discussed - can be easily changed by the users who want that.
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Apr 26th, '14, 17:09

Regarding
- can be easily changed by the users who want that.

How? You need to have access to the php code on the server (or on Git; but again that has to be pulled to the server). All the people who have that access are among those who do not want links in new tab. :cry:
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '14, 18:32

viking60 wrote:
- can be easily changed by the users who want that.

How?

Use middle mouse button, or change browser preferences, or install browser addon which does that.
I always open links in tabs, but never needed to change some website for that.
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Apr 27th, '14, 10:54

Oh yes that old story. :roll:
The majority wants a link to open in a new tab when clicked normally - that is a fact.
The stubborn minority wants to middle click with somersaults while scratching their head with their toes. While making up fitting rules about majorities and how big they need to be.
All arguments are known - the community made an informed decision - and it is ignored.
Mostly because the people in control of the server do not agree.
No need to repeat all the argumentation again.
In any case I guess you are in no position to do anything about it anyway - or do you have access to the files?

We are on a positive role here - why not take it all out and implement the link in new tab or window mod, and receive the applause and admiration from the huge majority (75%)
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 27th, '14, 13:53

Yes that old story of total exaggeration of yours truly.
Sorry cannot understand how middle-clicking instead of left-clicking counts as "double somersaults" or "somersaults while scratching their head with their toes".

In the thread I count only you who voiced their opinion on yes. Plus barjac from the bugreport, but his main concern is not the link in tab, but that he loses form data (which can be fixed in browser settings too). Makes up for three people including rollercomsolutions from the other thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5092

My problem is that you totally ignore the voices of those who explicitly voted against this. Ken, Mayavimmer, wobo, me, and also Lebarhon and dglent who are fine with the current behaviour.
You put up gazillions of words argumenting for the clear 75% majority, whereas there's none such IMHO.
Ken-Bergen wrote:BTW: This majority of yours sounds like five wolfs and two sheep voting on what/who to have for dinner. :shock:

I've access to the file, but will not change the behaviour.
----
doktor5000

Postby viking60 » Apr 27th, '14, 23:18

Thanks for clearing that up.

As for me ignoring the voices of you and your three friends - I can almost not believe my eyes.
The question was
When you click a link here do you want it to open in a new window or tab?

12 answered Yes
4 answered no; You, Wobo Ken and Mayavimmer.

You simply state that you will do nothing about it even if you can. And in your opinion there is no such majority - how does that compute?

And I am not showing enough respect for you and your three friends?
You have my permission to change your nick to Robert Mugabe Image

Interpretations to explain what the people really want (but cannot express themselves) - are out of fashion. It has been tried and it did not work...

Having said that; I do respect your view - and your right to be wrong (disagreement is OK).
I did suffer from the impression that a community distro would respect a community majority though - if possible.

This is not the case - my mistake I guess -sorry.
viking60

Postby Ken-Bergen » Apr 28th, '14, 00:36

Just to recap.

You and your eleven friends would like the code changed.

As it stands now you and your eleven friends can use the middle mouse button to get the behaviour you want.

If the code is changed as you want my three friends and myself will be forced to work to your model. Hardly a good example for a distribution based on open source and freedom of choose.

Of course if you can get 50%, 25% maybe even 5% of the over 4,000 members on your side I'll give it the thumbs up.
Until then let the over 4,000 members who don't give a rats behind the freedom to use a left click or middle click.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby ozky » Apr 30th, '14, 11:29

How hard is to just use your mouse middle click to open the ....... link in new tab ??? you are just wasting people time here.
Mageia user
ozky

Postby viking60 » May 3rd, '14, 14:35

Yes that seems true - this is a waste of time.
I was not aware that a Poll where everybody had the chance to vote for 2 years doesn't count.
I have not seen any rules that a poll needs at least 5% of 4000 votes to have an impact.

In fact there were claims that the majority did not want this, without any foundation for the claims other than personal opinions.
So the poll seemed a good idea to find out.

In short I would newer have made a poll in the forum, about the forum - if I knew up front that it does not count.
Nothing of the sort is mentioned here
So my time has been wasted too...
Spoiler:
viking60

Postby VoodooDali » May 3rd, '14, 17:02

Good morning. Will you pardon my two cents' worth?

I do agree that user input is extremely important. I also agree that polls are one of many good ways of gauging user needs/wants. I also also agree that democracy is vital to the success of Mageia.

That said... may I offer this criticism?

Statistically speaking, the total sample size (the number of people who voted) is such a small portion of the universe of data (the total number of users) that the results really cannot be said to represent anything at all. :(

If we could draw any conclusions from the poll, it would have to be that the overwhelming majority of members are indifferent to this particular change -- i.e. they just don't have a preference. (I was gonna say "they don't care" but that's unnecessarily terse.)

Myself, for example. I've become so accustomed to right-clicking and selecting "New Tab" on any forum I frequent, that I would probably continue to do so for sheer force of habit.

Anyway, not to bring down anyone's opinion. Just sayin'. :) Thanks for listening.
Voo #557749
running "Celene"
ASUS G73Jh
Intel Core i7 720QM
AMD (ATi) Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Mageia 4
VoodooDali

Postby viking60 » May 4th, '14, 18:49

Good morning. Will you pardon my two cents' worth?

Consider yourself pardoned :D

This is not a question of how hard it is to middle-click or the likes. That is entirely besides the point.
Habits vary - that is a fact. In cases like that it makes sense to ask the community and let the majority decide.

Furthermore this forum has about 2-3 visitors at the same time - so the 4000 members are really more of a marketing campaign to look big.

You cannot expect much more than 20 votes on any poll in here. This forum is not big enough (Feel free to prove me wrong).

The current state is that a majority in a Poll can and will be ignored. The rules for this are made up as we go along, Suddenly we have an "insignificant" rule where 12 people are ignored on the account of 4 people - because 12 people are not enough.

That leaves an open question: How many would be enough?

Ken has set the minimum limit to 5% of 4000 which would be 200 people but he would prefer 50% of 4000 which would make 2000 people.
At least he has set a number that people can relate to -up front.

So lets have the official ruling on this Mageia boards and democratically elected leaders - (How many votes did you get when you were elected? I sure hope it was more than 12).
This really is impossible IMHO and a waste of time.

As it is; Mageia is a technocracy - those who do the work get to decide.
That is be fine by me - I just wish I knew up front.
viking60

Postby isadora » May 4th, '14, 19:12

My votes are still counted for. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Ken-Bergen » May 4th, '14, 21:31

viking60 wrote:
Ken has set the minimum limit to 5% of 4000 which would be 200 people but he would prefer 50% of 4000 which would make 2000 people.
At least he has set a number that people can relate to -up front.
That is not an official bar.
It's only the minimum number that would make me sit up, take notice and reluctantly/maybe support a modification that will have a negative impact on me and an untold number of members (The silent majority?).
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby viking60 » May 9th, '14, 23:28

I just am giving you credit for being specific. Making a decision demands accuracy like that. The community needs to know when the polls will not be ignored. Other than that; I think your figures are completely bonkers :mrgreen:
viking60

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '14, 11:02

While you're at it, I think this whole tab-topic is completely bonkers. The whole thing where you rave for the ignored 75% majority,
when this majority doesn't seem to give a damn. IMHO you're making yourself ridicilous here, there are real issues that should be fixed.
As ozky put it, you're just wasting people time here.
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » May 10th, '14, 13:26

I think you just can not weigh the validity of a poll by pure number of votes if the total of given votes is beyond a very low percentage of the actual number of possible votes. Since this question was brought up I checked the number of people who wrote posts in this forum (aka active members with a vote) and this number is surprisingly high, not as low as viking makes us believe in one of his posts about education in democracy . So the number of 20something total votes clearly shows one thing - if anything at all -: for the majority of users this question is not a question at all, at least not a question they are interested enough to participate in the thread or not even interesting enough to make a click in a poll.

This was the only logical outcome of this whole discussion because from the start the discussion showed that no participant (including myself) could name any substantial fact in favour of his position - all pros and cons were based on personal usage and taste. So there are only 2 solutions which would make sense:

1. Leave everything as it is or
2. Implement an individual setting wherever possible (either in forum software like individual clock setting or in browser settings) if possible at all.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby viking60 » May 12th, '14, 15:14

You must have changed your mind lately then:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3994&p=28777&hilit=poll#p28664

I have checked some polls here and none that I could find had higher participation. So you were right; regardless of issue.
Even tabloid provocative issues do not get any more (BIld Zeitung is the biggest - so it usually works).
If you get 200 votes on a Poll in here even if it is about sex (Do Linux users have bigger Penises than Windows users etc) - I'll eat my socks.
Maybe the participation on the Polls do reflect the significance of this forum? Maybe that would be interesting to analyze?
And then again; who cares?

I don't think the forum reflects the distro. The distro is big widespread and has good quality.

@Doktor5000
Please don't answer; you have more important things to do.
viking60

Previous

Return to Discussions about forums