Sort active topics list by active topics

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Sort active topics list by active topics

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '12, 14:46

Hi there,

i'd like to have the active topics list search.php?search_id=active_topics not statically sorted by
date of thread creation, but sorted so that the active unread topics are always at the beginning. Currently i have 5 pages of active
topics, and need to go through each one to see if there has been an answer in an older thread.
Normally all the active unread threads should be at the beginning of the list, which is what i'm used to from other forums.

Can we have the sorting changed please, or is anybody against it?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Sort active topics list by active topics

Postby isadora » Jul 1st, '12, 15:01

No objections. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 17th, '12, 21:34

maat, is it easy to implement or rather not?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jul 18th, '12, 08:34

doktor5000 wrote:i'd like to have the active topics list search.php?search_id=active_topics not statically sorted by
date of thread creation, but sorted so that the active unread topics are always at the beginning. Currently i have 5 pages of active
topics, and need to go through each one to see if there has been an answer in an older thread.
Normally all the active unread threads should be at the beginning of the list, which is what i'm used to from other forums.

Can we have the sorting changed please, or is anybody against it?

Hmm, that would mean that if you left some topics unread for future reading you will have them always on top and have to scroll down for the real active topics.
Would it not be easier to use "search_id=unreadposts" for this purpose?

BTW: the list of "active_topics" is sorted by date of posts, not of thread creation. A very old topic can be on top of the list because somebody has just posted in that thread 2 minutes ago.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '12, 20:47

wobo wrote:Hmm, that would mean that if you left some topics unread for future reading you will have them always on top and have to scroll down for the real active topics.
Would it not be easier to use "search_id=unreadposts" for this purpose?

You got me confused. Normally i go through the list of active topics, and open the unread ones. If i revisit the list, the unread ones are at the top of the list. But i've just replaced my default bookmark and see how that works out. Maybe i've never stumbled about this problem as in other forums there don't seem to be multiple pages of unread topics :(
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Jul 19th, '12, 09:05

I think this is everywhere. The "active_topics" list is ordered by *last posts*. So, in a lively forum you may always have several pages, the number of entries in the list depends on the time span you set at the foot of the page.
Now, if you have been away for some days you will have (f.ex.) 2 pages of unread active topics. You start reading the interesting topics. You always return to the list after reading a topic. This topic will stay at its place in the list but will turn to normal color (aka read) while the unread topics still keep their red color.
After you have read all interesting topics you will see the unread topics in the list, not at the top but in their place according to the time stamp of the last post. Now you can do 2 things:

- click on "Mark all forums read" which makes your issue go away at the cost of possibly missing topics you may want to read later. They are still in the list but not marked as unread.

- or you use the "View unread posts" view which is also ordered by date of last post but only shows unread topics. After you read one topic and return to the list this topic has vanished from the list.

Hopefully I have explained understandable enough (a German explaining something to another German in English language!)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby tom_ » Jul 21st, '12, 20:55

wobo wrote:BTW: the list of "active_topics" is sorted by date of posts, not of thread creation. A very old topic can be on top of the list because somebody has just posted in that thread 2 minutes ago.

I was looking my profile settings here
when I saw that I can choose how topics and posts are sorted :)
tom_

Return to Discussions about forums