Guidelines for/before posting problems / proper behaviour

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

users

Postby mmm » Jul 19th, '19, 12:22

wobo wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:

RULES have to be followed. Period. They demand and/or forbid certain kinds of behavior and/or deeds to be followed by users of the forum.

Admins are users of the forum too. So how can a user have a malicious admin be dealt with?

The admins won't ban themselves, would they?
mmm

Re: Guidelines for/before posting problems / proper behaviou

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 20th, '19, 23:13

Do you have an actual example of such a "malicious admin" or are you just trolling?

If an admin would be malicious, he wouldn't be an admin for long, there's peer control and there's also the Mageia board and council that can be contacted in case of serious issues.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

peer control

Postby mmm » Jul 24th, '19, 05:20

doktor5000 wrote:Do you have an actual example of such a "malicious admin" or are you just trolling?

If an admin would be malicious, he wouldn't be an admin for long, there's peer control and there's also the Mageia board and council that can be contacted in case of serious issues.

A lot of fellow working class people may have to take you by your word, mate.

While I cannot quote an example from this very forum [else the acount would have been banned a long time ago], I am not trolling - that malicious practice is more common than the http-404-error as we all know full well. :idea:

but you get the idea from something like this : banned bug report and gazillions of similar posts.

For some odd reason they stopped the practice of mixing in openRC packages into, say, the Manjaro repo to have the fun of watching people wreck their KDE installations in a second. The admins enjoyed and banned every single complaint while it lasted.
mmm

Postby benmc » Jul 24th, '19, 22:13

not sure the reasoning for necro-bumping this thread.

However, as you can see by my join date, I have been here a while.
In that time I can only remember a few new users abusing the forum, some of their posts erased, some remain, as pertinent replies require the original post for context.
I guess that they were banned, but as a mere user, I am not privy to such decisions, just aware that they have stopped posting.

I the time I have been a member here, I have yet to see an abusive post by either of these two user types : Administrators, Global moderators.
actually make that all user types.

sometimes terse /short, but everybody can have a bad day, especially when a new user refuses to follow advise / post terminal outputs, repeatedly.

Some users do, however, appear to do their best at winding up the forum moderators, to see how far they can push their luck!
benmc

Re: peer control

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 25th, '19, 00:42

mmm wrote:but you get the idea from something like this : banned bug report and gazillions of similar posts.

And why exactly do you post here about some blocked thread in a Manjaro forum?

Apart from that, if the same thing as in that thread happened here, moderators at some point would probably also lock such a thread after a warning, as it has already happened in the past where it was reasonable.
Also that users question was clearly answered. Just because he doesn't understand the answer and adds some insult to Manjaro to that, and keeps on going is perfectly valid reason to lock such a thread.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby aboutblank » Mar 2nd, '20, 01:50

doktor5000 wrote:I'm willing to write a short howto on proper behaviour when or before posting problems.
At mandrivauser.de, we have a Charta which every user needs to accept when he registers,
which also contains a really helpful section what to do to improve the chances and to speed
up the process of properly getting support, like searching the forums and google before posting here,
to see if that problems was already discussed, and what informations to provide.

Where should this be placed, and how to make it mandatory for everybody to accept if someone joins the forums?

For reference, i'm talking about http://www.mandrivauser.de/doku/doku.ph ... s_projekts
section 3.3.3.3, "Tipps zum richtigen Verhalten bei Problemen" which would translate to "Hints on proper behaviour in case of problems"
FWIW, here's a google translate link for non-germans to get a rough overview http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mandrivauser.de%2Fdoku%2Fdoku.php%3Fid%3Dallgemein%3Acharta%23aufbau_des_projekts

Both links mentioned in the third paragraph quoted above appear to be invalid. The first leads to a 'domain for sale' notice, the second to a German language page that translates, roughly, to "Sorry, the URL is invalid". Since it's the very first thing that a new user sees, perhaps an edit to the post is in order?

Thanks,

aboutblank
March 1, 2020
aboutblank

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 2nd, '20, 21:28

Well, the rules and guidelines have been merged into viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2 as mentioned in this thread.
FWIW, the post you quoted is from 8 years ago, hence the links are not working anymore as the german community project mandrivauser.de does not exist anymore.
----
doktor5000

Previous

Return to Discussions about forums