[solved] Private Messages

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

[solved] Private Messages

Postby wobo » Mar 30th, '11, 12:00

The PM system is closed for users until they are "no new users" any more. Did you do this by intention? I don't think it's a good idea (I wanted to send a PM instead of writing a public post, I could not).
I know this is the default setting in phpbb3 for fresh users but you can change that.

wobo
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Re: Private Messages

Postby eskroni » Mar 31st, '11, 14:50

Yeah, I was wondering about this too.
Btw, when I am not a "new user" anymore?

Is there just a "time limit" or do I need to
have a minimum number of posts?

Just curious.

Sigrid
Nichts auf der Welt ist so gerecht verteilt wie der Verstand.
Denn jedermann ist davon überzeugt, dass er genug davon habe.

Nothing in the world is distributed as equitably as the mind.
Because everyone is convinced that he has enough of it.
Descartes
eskroni

Postby wobo » Mar 31st, '11, 15:01

It's the number of posts. This is a feature of phpbb3 (actually a feature of the group of newly registered people) which I have disabled in our German phpbb3 forum because it makes no sense at all. Any new user can post a couple of posts in a nonsense thread like "What are you listening to" or similar to pass this "probation".
wobo
---
wobo

Postby maat » Mar 31st, '11, 19:38

It's a simple way to put apart bots from real people... waiting 3 posts before using PM is not a unbearable pain and this will prevent some bots (i'm fully aware not all bots) creating accounts on mageia from posting private spam :)

Just a simple precaution that does make sense more often than not (of course having to pass through catdap will make bots life harder hence one could consider after a quick thought that this does not make sens here but the precaution does not cost much so why not using it ? :p)
maat

Postby wobo » Mar 31st, '11, 20:47

Isn't registration in the forum closed, all users have to register at identity.mageia.org ?
Then there are no bots to defend against.
BTW: Last time we had a bot in our phpbb3 forum at mandrivauser.de was a couple of years ago.

But you are right, it is not a real problem, just something I stumbled upon when I wanted to send a PN to the forum admin about the wrong spelling of mandrivauser.de and found out that I don't have permission to correct this myself.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby magnus » Mar 31st, '11, 22:01

As we all can see the limitation of three is not a real problem for wobo :twisted:
magnus

Postby rickst29 » Jun 3rd, '11, 00:33

Well, darn it, I seem to be disabled (even AFTER having made 6 posts).

I tried to ask a global moderator, Germ, to send me his mailing address in a PM. (So that I can send him a complete set of DVDs and live-CDs, he's on dial-up.) Is there another, unannounced level of "hoop-jumping" which I need to pass, or is it failing in an unintended way? Perhaps the breakage is created by the fact that I registered at identity.mageia.org, using the new method.

Symptoms: When I click the "send reply" button (for the message from Me to Germ), I am given a new screen to compose a "Reply" back to myself. The message to Germ remains "trapped" in the inbox.

This was not friendly. :( Is Germ expected to exhibit his home address in a public post to the forum, or what?
rickst29

Postby maat » Jun 3rd, '11, 11:12

I've just checked : you do have the rights to PM people on this forum. No "hoop-jumping" at all.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the message "trapped" in the inbox to investigate...
maat

Postby Germ » Jun 3rd, '11, 13:16

I got the PM and replied this morning. Did you get my reply?
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby rickst29 » Jun 3rd, '11, 23:37

Yes, I got it, and the message which I sent to you yesterday is now in "sent". Perhaps the "outbox" folder is a list of messages sent, but not yet read by the recipient.

If so, then there's not ANY problem- except with the phpbb3 use of the word "outbox", meaning something totally different than it's traditional use in email clients.
rickst29

Postby isadora » Jun 3rd, '11, 23:40

rickst29 wrote:Yes, I got it, and the message which I sent to you yesterday is now in "sent". Perhaps the "outbox" folder is a list of messages sent, but not yet read by the recipient.

If so, then there's not ANY problem- except with the phpbb3 use of the word "outbox", meaning something totally different than it's traditional use in email clients.

That is exactly right.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Discussions about forums