I'm not sure how my email got changed

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

I'm not sure how my email got changed

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 26th, '20, 01:06

I think I halfway remember something that I can't quite specify what I was asked. But I got the impression that it was to provide an alternitive way to prove I'm me in case of email failure combined with a failed password. Anyway whatever it asked seemed reasonable enough for me to provide another email. One that I don't like very much but makes a nice fallback because my primary email (domain) occasionally gets blocklisted by cable broadband providers and they never seem to do that to gmail.

Then I noticed that topic reply notifications started going to the gmail account. UGG It might take me weeks to notice them there.

So When Iogged in I went to the user control panel and the only email it was showing me was the gmail one. But when I tried to change it back it says:
The entered e-mail address is already in use.

Username:
Length must be between 3 and 20 characters.
mvjap3

* I note that visualy it looked like my username was above the line about how many characters
This bothers me because it was thanks to my failure to realize I hadn't updated my email from a defunct account before it stopped forwarding to my current one combined with a password problem that lost me access to my origianal user account. I couldn't prove I was the same jtwdyp, so NOW I'm mvjap3...
Anyway it's correct that my regualr email is in use, but that's by me on this same account!
I like the idea of the forum having both emails, if it means that if the one I'm using gets trashed I can use the other to establish that I'm me, the next time I can't quite remember my password.
But I really don't want to have to check the gmail to find out there was a topic reply.

How can I fix this?
mvjap3

Re: I'm not sure how my email got changed

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 26th, '20, 10:18

This cannot be really fixed in the way you think. Your old email is tied to your old account. And email adresses cannot be changed in the forum user control panel.
You can only change it here: https://identity.mageia.org/ although this is still disabled. See the hint here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia.org_u ... il_mean.3F
So if you want to have this changed, you would have to raise a report in bugzilla with our sysadmin team as explained in the wiki.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 26th, '20, 13:03

doktor5000 wrote:This cannot be really fixed in the way you think. Your old email is tied to your old account. And email adresses cannot be changed in the forum user control panel.
You can only change it here: https://identity.mageia.org/ although this is still disabled. See the hint here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia.org_u ... il_mean.3F
So if you want to have this changed, you would have to raise a report in bugzilla with our sysadmin team as explained in the wiki.

I think I may have confused the issue by trying to explain why this bugged me.
In order to explain what I'm trying to say without explicitly listing email addresses I will have to paraphrase them like this:
mewas@defunct This was linked to my old forum identity. The fact that I had apparently failed to update my old forum identity to menow@goodfree is part of why I had to become mvjap3. Because this is a very defunct email that no longer exists I will be specific when I say mewas@defunct was jtwdyp@ttlc.net.
menow@goodfree this is the email about which the user control panel said "The entered e-mail address is already in use." But if it had actually already been linked to my old forum identity, why was I unable to use it to rescue my old forum identity. I was told that forum user jtwdyp was still linked to mewas@defunct and it was because I couldn't recieve anything sent to that defunct email that I couldn't recover ownership of forum user jtwdyp. If they would have sent the password reset to menow@goodfree, I'd still be using jtwdyp and mvjap3 would never have become my mageia forum identity. I vaguely remember that at the time, I was still hoping to recover the jtwdyp forum identity so I used my menow@alsofree email when I set up my mvjap3 user identity. Then I forgot that I'd done that. And since when I'm using my desktop I use a combination of fetchmail and procmail to download and sort mail from both menow@goodfree & menow@alsofree, I guess I wasn't looking to close at the To: header fields of the Topic reply notifications.
menow@alsofree Because I use procmail to sort such email notifications I forgot that I'd linked mvjap3 to this email. It wasn't until I was using my laptop (because it was the laptop that had the gpg issue) that used alpines imap access to directly peek at this email account and noticed that it was where mvjap3's topic reply notifications were going. But if your telling me that NOW the forum software thinks the email about which the user control panel said "The entered e-mail address is already in use" is actually linked to my jtwdyp user identity, then what would it take to get a password reset for forum user jtwdyp sent to that email so I could recover my origianal forum identity?
mvjap3

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 26th, '20, 15:09

You still seem to be confused about a few things. Or I don't understand what you're actually asking for.

Regarding the password reset, you can do that yourself at https://identity.mageia.org/ - this is also linked from the forum login page, and also explained on the wiki page I've linked to already.
If you need your email adress changed for your old jtwdyp account, and have no access to the linked email adress anymore, you can only ask our sysadmins, as mentioned on the wiki page.
But as you cannot safely identify that that account belongs to you, I'm afraid that change probably will not be done, although you can try, it doesn't hurt.

"The entered e-mail address is already in use." only means that this email adress is used by some forum member, it does not mean that it is in any way linked to any of your accounts.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 27th, '20, 03:43

doktor5000 wrote:You still seem to be confused about a few things. Or I don't understand what you're actually asking for.

I would probably think it's more like both, as in if you used the word "And" instead of "Or" I would be in complete agreement with your above statement. First I'll admit to some confusion, and that made it hard for me make you understand what I was asking for. My bad!
doktor5000 wrote:Regarding the password reset, you can do that yourself at https://identity.mageia.org/ - this is also linked from the forum login page, and also explained on the wiki page I've linked to already.
If you need your email adress changed for your old jtwdyp account, and have no access to the linked email adress anymore, you can only ask our sysadmins, as mentioned on the wiki page.
But as you cannot safely identify that that account belongs to you, I'm afraid that change probably will not be done, although you can try, it doesn't hurt.

I'll have to spend time with that wiki. But let me ask you something about being unable to "safely identify that that account belongs to me"...
I can think of two possibilities that could work IF ...:
Option A) Does the forum keep and archive Fcc: (file carbon copy) of topic reply notifications, which could be used to verify the actual To: field of the email, given a copy of it with my email domain masked. You see there were a few of them actually sent to my current email. One in particular was sent 6 months after a tech help representative of the organization controlling the ttlc.net domain finally stopped all the forwarding by completely deleting my former ttlc.net email account which had previously only been deactivated.
So I know for sure that this one wasn't sent to jtwdyp@ttlc.net
So if the forum didn't send it to my current email, I would dearly like to know how I got it.

Since it's only purpose would be to index the archived Fcc: copy, it shouldn't require the full header version and this way it would be just the actual To: header that needed masking. Like so:
Code: Select all
To: jtwdyp <jtwdyp@domain.masked>
Message-ID: <724c2ae7239a86cb3bbb56fd44b35f3a@forums.mageia.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 20:16:59 +0000
Subject: Topic reply notification -
    "Lost my crib notes for live upgrading mga5 to 6"

Hello jtwdyp,

I note that my copy of alpine is configured to include the unique Message-ID: header in the regular headers.
Between that and the precise time and date it was sent, it should be possible to find it's match in the archive (if it exists)...

If there is no archive, then the only other possibility I can think of is:

Option B) I still have the private gpg keys associated with the defunct jtwdyp@ttlc.net. If that counts for anything.

Do you think either of those things would help?

Otherwise I can't think of any reasonable way to prove I really was jtwdyp@tttlc.net. And I'll just have to continue as mvjap3. But I would in that case, prefer to change mvjap3's email to my regular one, which the forum didn't believe belonged to user jtwdyp.

doktor5000 wrote:"The entered e-mail address is already in use." only means that this email adress is used by some forum member, it does not mean that it is in any way linked to any of your accounts.

But if that email address really has been associated with some other account, then I'd want it addressed as a case of identity theft. Because it's my email and it's NOT the defunct one.
mvjap3

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 27th, '20, 11:05

No, the forum does not keep any mail copies, as far as I'm aware.
And for the email change, you'd have to get in touch with our sysadmins, as already mentioned. Same for the "identity theft" thing with your old email adress, someone from sysadmin would have to look that up in our LDAP, because I can't search for email adresses within the forum admin control panel.
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 27th, '20, 20:31

doktor5000 wrote:Same for the "identity theft" thing with your old email adress, someone from sysadmin would have to look that up in our LDAP, because I can't search for email adresses within the forum admin control panel.

So it is possible to search for an email adress, although a search for jtwdyp@ttlc.net only returns "No members found for this search criterion."
Maybe that is some leftover in our LDAP, so the same thing applies: a sysadmin would have to look that up, and you would have to open a bugreport for that, as explained previously.
----
doktor5000

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 28th, '20, 00:07

I'm thinking you mean possible for you as a forum admin...
And that there is no way for a regular member to search for it. Because there are no doubt members who wouldn't like, even other members, being able to use it to find out if they've correctly guessed their email...

Wait a minute... since jtwdyp@ttlc.net was the email address the forum insisted was still linked to user jtwdyp, shouldn't your search have come up with my old account?
Just for chuckles and to make sure that glitch I think happened didn't get repaired
I just opened a different browser and tried to login as jtwdyp. Wasn't surprized that it didn't like my old password (as still listed in my .j-words.asc file) but when I tried the forgot my password link and entered the email, that I still think I had actually updated my account with, it said:

This email address is not bound to an account

But I'd like to really be sure and I've been coming to the forum long enough to know I can trust you with it, but there isn't any safe way to pass the email address in question to you is there. I mean it's probably not even safe to use the pm button on this thingy.
doctor5000.png
doctor5000.png (22.43 KiB) Viewed 3684 times

Even if it says it's a private message right?

Oh and two other things I returned to the user panel and checked that the email change function there still says(about that same email):

The entered e-mail address is already in use.

So maybe that's just what happens because of the way that function has been disabled?

But anyway while I was there I noticed that my board preferences, global settings says my time zone was [UTC+1] Central European Time...
No way in {expletive deleted} did I set that. So I hope there wasn't any reason for me to not set it to the more accurate [UTC -5]Eastern Standard Time...
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jun 28th, '20, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
mvjap3

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 28th, '20, 01:42

Not sure if you didn't understand that part, but - you should contact our sysadmins if you want to have someone check what email adress is in LDAP and which is currently tied to your accounts. I'll stop repeating it at this point.
I can only check from the forum side, but I can't check what LDAP has for your account. And the password resets are triggered by https://identity.mageia.org/ which is basically an LDAP frontend. It's also not possible to change your email adress from within the forum.

Apart from that, private message means private message. It's a forum message, and not sent out via mail.
----
doktor5000

Postby mvjap3 » Jun 28th, '20, 06:43

Well maybe I'll send you something via pm. It might even be worth a laugh, But I took a screen shot that's going in my scrapbook. Since your username appears within, I think you deserve a copy. Cause it reminds me of what a kind patient person you are. There used to be a saying I can't remember but it included something like, "you must have an old soul." I never really understood it, by I saw the kind of people it was said about. And I think it was a compliment and before I forget:

Thank you! Your help was/is much appreciated.

--
mvjap3
mvjap3

Return to Discussions about forums