edit question

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Re: edit question

Postby Germ » Apr 27th, '11, 16:45

rda wrote:Guys, let's cool down.

I second that. I won't name the member but I actually received an abuse report on this thread.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby boklm » Apr 27th, '11, 17:12

Germ wrote:I second that. I won't name the member but I actually received an abuse report on this thread.

User abusing the rules again ! You should ban him !
boklm

Postby stef74 » Apr 27th, '11, 20:26

Dear All,

I think: it's not a bad idea.

When people get used to edit their posts it's nightmare for people who want to help : they need to read again and again the whole topic to search changes.
Personally I think 30 minutes or 1hours to edit it's ok. Not more. If it's need correction, make a new post.

Some people write a bad think and after lots of time come back and modified it because when they write they are furious... With this system, the people know that if they write, after they have a short time to make a modification.

On some forum, you musn't edit your post, and there is no problem.

It's new forum please, cool....

stef.
stef74

Postby House » Apr 28th, '11, 15:21

There are two questions here:

1) Is an edit ban actually necessary?

The simplest way (in fact, the only way) to determine if an edit ban is necessary is to lift it. Lifting the ban provides actual evidence, whereas any other course of action needlessly perpetuates an increasingly heated debate.

If I were a moderator convinced of the actual correctness of my position, I'd lift the ban in a heartbeat, simply to demonstrate to everyone that the ban is necessary. Because if I were correct, I'd know that users would be clamoring for me to re-implement the ban ASAP.

(Indeed, if a moderator were not merely being obstinate, one wonders why he didn't simply lift the ban in the first place, simply to demonstrate why it's needed.)

2) Is "trust in the community" really one of Mageia's "core values"?

This is by far the more crucial question, with profound implications for the longevity of the distro.

Mandriva had/has a long history of pointedly ignoring its user base. Did that tradition survive the fork?

Sadly, the answer seems to be "yes."

From where I sit, intervention by "the Council" is already long overdue. Choosing an arbitrary autocrat to be the primary public face of Mageia was an unfortunate but correctable error. But leaving him in place as he repeatedly and vocally exhibits contempt for the community probably isn't recoverable.

Which is sad. Very sad.
House

Postby juergen_harms » Apr 28th, '11, 16:21

To come back to facts: I think a poll would help (a) to get an objective image on whether there is a clear majority opion and (b) to do away with arguments at the personal level. I suggest a simple poll: just counting - dis-invite comments like "I vote so and so because...". And, I think that Maat is the person to neutrally formulate the question and see the poll to its end to its consequences. Lets not anticipate the question "what if there is no clear majority".
juergen_harms

Postby wobo » Apr 28th, '11, 16:50

Yes, Juergen, this was also suggested a lot earlier in this thread. ANY of the suggestions we made would help moving forward except remaining on the status quo.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby juergen_harms » Apr 28th, '11, 17:35

Sorry for the repeat - I evidently lost track of what has already been said - but yet an argument that this discussion should be wound up. So: I second the suggestion already made :D

But, given this long and heated discussion: just letting the storm blow over and doing nothing is not an alternative
juergen_harms

Postby rda » Apr 28th, '11, 18:58

House wrote:Mandriva had/has a long history of pointedly ignoring its user base. Did that tradition survive the fork?

Sadly, the answer seems to be "yes."

You are talking of a single case with a single person among a full community of contributing persons, a single time, a few days ago? That's not very considerate for all the rest that has happened already in 8 months, and of all that can still happen. That's the sad part really.

Conflict is part of the game, and even conflict between some people that have more power than others. We planned for that, we expect conflict (and this one is really of a lower level than what we got for the logo selection process if you ask me). The escalation process is here for that. Now, no one explicitely called to Council members for this very issue - and we already started to discuss privately the issue with some people to understand, calmly, the problem.

Now, why the need to, again, make an artificial separation between some "organization" and the people? Mageia is all about everyone participating in it. Not "some" versus "the others". :-)

From where I sit, intervention by "the Council" is already long overdue.

Just because it doesn't happen now in public doesn't mean nothing is happening at all. We'll discuss this at next Monday meeting and see there.

Choosing an arbitrary autocrat

Ad hominem stances do not help so please stop it. Maat is no "arbitrary autocrat", he's among those who actually set up the forum and administer it, from code to other aspects. There is a forums team to manage the forums (still needs to be better set up, yes, but time will tell).

Now people may disagree with each other. That's part of life.

But leaving him in place as he repeatedly and vocally exhibits contempt for the community probably isn't recoverable.

Which is sad. Very sad.

You quick to jump to conclusions and to sack someone here, over what is certainly more a misperception from both sides. Too quick. That doesn't help at all. Cheer up a little bit please! :-)

Case closed. Cool down. We'll see at the Council meeting.
rda

Previous

Return to Discussions about forums