Dealing with spam

This is the place to talk about our forums:
Questions about how to best use them, discussions about new features and things like that

Dealing with spam

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 5th, '11, 20:14

isadora: I don't understand why the user isn't removed, it would remove all posts together with him?
Just look at the website in the user profile, that should be enought to be sure that's a spam account.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Some BBCode reccomendations

Postby isadora » Oct 5th, '11, 20:24

Sorry, made a mistake, message removed.

isadora
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Germ » Oct 5th, '11, 21:16

doktor5000 wrote:isadora: I don't understand why the user isn't removed, it would remove all posts together with him?
Just look at the website in the user profile, that should be enought to be sure that's a spam account.

Isadora and I can't remove users. Only Admins can do that.

I usually move a spam post to the Moderation Trash forum.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby maat » Oct 7th, '11, 09:40

Germ wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:isadora: I don't understand why the user isn't removed, it would remove all posts together with him?

Isadora and I can't remove users. Only Admins can do that.

I usually move a spam post to the Moderation Trash forum.

Well i think we could consider that "pure" spam is not even worth trashbin forum and delete both posts and users...

with "pure" spam i mean user accounts created just for spamming with zero contribution to the forum.

for users that show a real participation and that cross the line once with a spam message : we trahshbin the message / erase the spam material into the profile (signature or website link for example)

What do you think ?

BTW: Would you mind if i cut this discussion to move it to forum discussions area as a new topic ?
maat

Postby wobo » Oct 7th, '11, 09:58

maat wrote:Well i think we could consider that "pure" spam is not even worth trashbin forum and delete both posts and users...
with "pure" spam i mean user accounts created just for spamming with zero contribution to the forum.

Agreed. In mandrivauser.de we only save one message per such a user in the trashbin to keep a record.

for users that show a real participation and that cross the line once with a spam message : we trahshbin the message / erase the spam material into the profile (signature or website link for example)
You mean
- if the spam is in the sig then the admin just changes the sig and sends an explaining pm to the user
- if the spam is in the message a global moderator edits the message and replaces the spam with "edited because of spam" (here it would be nice to have a "according to paragraph #5 of the forum rules" to point to)

Very well, agreed.

BTW: Would you mind if i cut this discussion to move it to forum discussions area as a new topic ?

I don't mind but it seems like a straight forward approach, I don't think it needs a lengthy discussion.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Re: Dealing with spam

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 7th, '11, 11:32

I agree with wobo on this one.
BTW: If you delete the user you don't need to delete the posts one by one :)
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby maat » Oct 7th, '11, 11:57

you're right it's a pretty straight forward case :)

(we'll just need to inform each other when we delete spammers... )
maat

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 7th, '11, 12:48

maat wrote:(we'll just need to inform each other when we delete spammers... )

Guess why i started the thread [all forums] How to proceed internally with SPAM or discussions about users"
on forums-discuss mailing list, to communicate on a standard procedure? Sadly it has not answers so far
(the same as for the already reported issue from your proposal of "List of Issues")
----
doktor5000

Postby Germ » Oct 7th, '11, 12:58

The last spammer I handled had three posts. I deleted two and moved the last one to Moderation Trash, then I banned the user.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Postby isadora » Oct 7th, '11, 13:33

I agree to the proposals. The last, and the first, spammer i had, was banned from my side, and after that i messed around with the post.
Finally i deleted the challenged post, after i couldn't get it right into Moderation Trash.
Thanks to Germ, i now understand how i treated this, moving by a wrong interpretation of the Quick-Mod-tools.
Wrote a note for myself for future cases. Another great time of learning. ;-)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Discussions about forums