[solved] Disable Hibernate

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[solved] Disable Hibernate

Postby wanne » Mar 19th, '15, 19:18

I have a swap partition which is used by different systems in different ways.
Also the bootloader contains no RESUME kernel-parameter the system tries to resume from the swap partition. This causes that the system doesn't boot when there is no swap partition at the moment.
Rebuilding the initrd while SWAP is removed helps. But at the moment I have to do this every time a new initrd is build. (=> Every Kernel update.)
So is it possible to stop Mageia 5 to try to resume from SWAP also there is a SWAP partition?
Last edited by wanne on Mar 21st, '15, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
wanne

Re: Disable Hibernate

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 19th, '15, 22:56

You probably want to remove the hook /etc/dracut.conf.d/51-mageia-resume.conf before rebuilding the initrd.

As the topic mentions disabling hibernate, do you only want to ensure that Mageia will not use the swap partition, or do you also want to disable hibernating?
Maybe you should also have a look at /etc/systemd/logind.conf and it's man page.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wanne » Mar 20th, '15, 01:12

doktor5000 wrote:You probably want to remove the hook /etc/dracut.conf.d/51-mageia-resume.conf before rebuilding the initrd.
That seems to solve my problem. Can I just remove that file?

doktor5000 wrote:As the topic mentions disabling hibernate, do you only want to ensure that Mageia will not use the swap partition, or do you also want to disable hibernating?
I want to use the swap partition. (What is actually the case.) And I never use hibernate.
The Problem is, that the system tries to resume from the swap device. This fails if the partition isn't formated as swap. And then the system dosn't boot.
wanne

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 20th, '15, 22:14

wanne wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:You probably want to remove the hook /etc/dracut.conf.d/51-mageia-resume.conf before rebuilding the initrd.
That seems to solve my problem. Can I just remove that file?

Yes. It is only intented to ensure that the system can resume when using more complex stuff like LVM, so that the initrd can bring up LVM first before it tries to read the resume device.
More details: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12305

wanne wrote:The Problem is, that the system tries to resume from the swap device. This fails if the partition isn't formated as swap. And then the system dosn't boot.

Well, from what I can tell it should not try to resume, but I'm not quite sure if mga5 doesn't already use systemd for that in the initrd ...

The other issue is that the system drops to an emergency shell when something from /etc/fstab cannot be mounted,
This is sadly the default behaviour of systemd for everything that should be mounted during boot and is not marked as "nofail"
See also errata for that: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_4_Err ... rrect_UUID

And some more links:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7093
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8987
http://www.mageialinux-online.org/wiki/ ... d-not-boot
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wanne » Mar 21st, '15, 16:07

doktor5000 wrote:The other issue is that the system drops to an emergency shell when something from /etc/fstab cannot be mounted,
This is sadly the default behaviour of systemd for everything that should be mounted during boot and is not marked as "nofail"

I know this. But since I have rewritten the SWAP entry I don't know if I have just forgotten to add the nofail option before I edited the fstab and misinterpreted some log messages.
May I test later what was the real problem. At the moment I'm just happy that everything is working fine.

So thank you for the detailed descriptions.
wanne

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 21st, '15, 21:44

You're welcome :)
wanne wrote:I know this. But since I have rewritten the SWAP entry I don't know if I have just forgotten to add the nofail option before I edited the fstab and misinterpreted some log messages.

That might not be sufficient, as the UUID is integrated into the initrd, you'll see what I mean if you check the linked threads and especially http://www.mageialinux-online.org/wiki/ ... d-not-boot
----
doktor5000

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron