Avast and arguments

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Avast and arguments

Postby brunob » Apr 13th, '11, 14:49

this is few remark may be to take attention
rencently I remark that avast is quite hard to make it working because of many reason
a- libexpat.so.1 we have to find a old one on rpm find or make a line to say you do this ....
b- on the kernel they change a value so we get that message : Message « An error occured in avast! engine: Argument invalide »
if you do this : sysctl -a | grep shm
you get that : kernel.shmmni = 4096
kernel.shmall = 2097152
kernel.shmmax = 33554432
so the problem is a value to be change by default on the kernel : sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=104857600
after that it is a problem for me because I get those info at the ubuntu and the command are not exactly working , but after this command sudo avast can update make scan etc... but it is not permanent
so for that we have to write a script so the balance is write there : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/avast
my question is do you think we can have a rpms for that avast witch could be able to work in a easy installation .

My point is this , I have few arguments concerning a conversion to a windows user in a linux system and Avast is a part of that and very persuasive , but for some reason it seem with the time those kind of solution became harder and harder because of a philosophic question , and sincerely if you want to bring more poeple using a linux system I think we have to do some compromise . I think it should be on the propriatary rpms ,like dpf ,flash , etc.... and accesable .
I can give the example of flash for the 32 bits and the 64 bits version . You have those possible solution ,the old version was working and as long as adobe make the stupid thing we have to find a alternative .

It is few points where I think a linux distribution cannot pass on the side ,if we have no alternative .
concerning the antivirus klamav or clamav I never understand correctly how it was working ,I had all time problem to make it work etc....
I am coming back so hello all ...
last thing do we have a french forum coming ....
last point share folder in a windows server 2000 still not work with samba with the control center .
Next time I will post im all the different file ....
thank for you nice job .
brunob

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron