Tests wanted for beta 1 !

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

kernel 2.6.38 and Broadcom wireless

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 9th, '11, 16:48

Given the requirements I met in getting the Broadcom 4318 to light up with Mageia, I thought I would boot the current Kubuntu 11.04 Beta CD to check out how their kernel handles the wireless, given the open driver released by Broadcom last fall and Kubuntu's 2.6.38 kernel, same series as with Mageia. What I anticipated was that no longer would the 'buntus offer b43-fwcutter in System --> Additional Drivers, since it should be in the kernel, and that the chipset would be recognized at boot.

Nope, same as Mageia. b43-fwcutter ("b43fw-cutter" for Mageia as I recall, perhaps wrongly) must be retrieved from the repos, and then the procedure is exactly the same as with previous Mandrivas and Mageia Beta 1: download the drivers from wireless.kernel.org and run the several steps to get the wireless working.

Maybe there's an explanation for all this work that would make sense, but to me it seems to be a regression. Has Broadcom done some corporate deed to chase away the driver from being built into the kernel? Maybe MS is threatening Broadcom with a lawsuit because MS is delusional about a patent on "easy wireless." I was sooooo looking forward to NOT having to go through that awkward process to get the Broadcom wireless working.... :(
David
DShelbyD

Re: Tests wanted for beta 1 !

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 9th, '11, 18:29

Did you try the non free (I know, it is :() driver called wl ?
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby winstonteacox » Apr 9th, '11, 21:04

Ok, did a fresh install with 64bit beta 1.

Everthing (nearly really everything ... ! ....) running smooth. :D

Only 2 glitches:

lame is missing (and ripperX, but that's not really an issue and I can live with it), but there is a problem with VirtualBox: Installation not possible because of missing libcrypto..sowhat ....
I need VB because of my film scanners .... :shock:

But overall - very good!

:P
Bernd
Now after my words of profound wisdom, I'm going back to procrastinating.
winstonteacox

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 10th, '11, 02:27

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Did you try the non free (I know, it is :() driver called wl ?

I think that's the only one available -- the one at wireless.kernel.org, following the instructions for Mandriva as in the past.

It's this package: broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5. It puts a whole array of files in /lib/firmware. After that, the wireless light glows and I can configure the machine to the wireless network.
David
DShelbyD

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 10th, '11, 11:53

DShelbyD wrote:
Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Did you try the non free (I know, it is :() driver called wl ?

I think that's the only one available -- the one at wireless.kernel.org, following the instructions for Mandriva as in the past.

It's this package: broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5. It puts a whole array of files in /lib/firmware. After that, the wireless light glows and I can configure the machine to the wireless network.

Well, Mageia has packaged broadcom-wl (named dkms-broadcom-wl) in their repositories. You should only enable non free repositories and go to rpmdrake or urpmi dkms-broadcom-wl.
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby wobo » Apr 10th, '11, 11:57

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Well, Mageia has packaged broadcom-wl (named dkms-broadcom-wl) in their repositories. You should only enable non free repositories and go to rpmdrake or urpmi dkms-broadcom-wl.
That did no work with mine, the firmware was still missing. See some messages earlier in this thread.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Apr 10th, '11, 12:08

wobo wrote:
Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Well, Mageia has packaged broadcom-wl (named dkms-broadcom-wl) in their repositories. You should only enable non free repositories and go to rpmdrake or urpmi dkms-broadcom-wl.
That did no work with mine, the firmware was still missing. See some messages earlier in this thread.

Sorry, I've not read.
Strange, maybe a package problem.
I have the 4322 and it is working.
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby wobo » Apr 10th, '11, 12:13

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Strange, maybe a package problem.
I have the 4322 and it is working.

The drivers seem to be different, depending on the chip. I have a 4318. Looking at the firmware page I saw 3 different drivers, depending on the chip model.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 10th, '11, 21:16

I thought I had non-free enabled. Cannot check at the moment, because I'm using something else (Pardus) for the time being. At any rate, the discussion of firmware and which drivers to install avoids the real issue for me: the availability of "Broadcom drivers" (I admit a lack of precision, perhaps I should say "open" drivers for Broadcom 4312, 4313, 4316 (?), and 4318) that I thought were to be universally included) in recent kernels. That's the issue I think should be addressed.

Am I the only person who expects those chips to work out of the box? Am I misinformed? Are these really proprietary drivers that are inconsistent with the Mageia "free" DVD? Perhaps they will be included in the Live CD?
David
DShelbyD

Postby PietroTux88 » Apr 11th, '11, 10:14

you must donwload firmware on mageia control install and remowe select all firmwares i have not problem with mageia work 100% +
find this on install and remove and search this word kernel-extra firmware or kernel-firmware there you find all firmware proprietaries RADEON,BROADCOM,ATHEROS ,INTEL etc.
Eat a piece of bread and after you're gone suddenly become a skeleton
PietroTux88

Postby stblack » Apr 11th, '11, 11:45

Hi!
I tested Beta1 on my HP dv6-1323el and I got a perfect installation, but the system is pretty unusable.
It's crashing X on Forefox opening (but not only with it) and KDE will prompt for a new login. I did the update after several crash (yesterday morning), but nothing changes.
I think that the bug it's already opened :https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=582

Thanks
Stblack

P.S. My Notebook is : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=it&dlc=it&cc=it&docname=c01959152&product=4058632
stblack

Postby DShelbyD » Apr 11th, '11, 21:34

ennael wrote:... 2 Live CDs will be available on mirrors, on 7th of april the latest....

Are these available? I'm not finding them on the download page or the mirrors.

EDIT: I just found the info on the blog. Wish I could delete this post. :oops:

Thanks,
David
David
DShelbyD

Postby ahmad » Apr 17th, '11, 02:10

mtparet wrote:I updated from Mandriva 2010.2 to Beta 1 last night.
I had a 2.6.37 i586 kernel and i confirm that was not automatically updated to 2.6.38.2. I updated manually to this kernel.

Kernels are installed in parallel, i.e. a new kernel package won't replace/remove an old one; so you have to have kernel-*-latest installed for a new kernel to get installed when updating/upgrading. (* is the kernel flavour you have, desktop586, desktop, netbook or server).
ahmad

Previous

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron