[SOLVED] No login screen after changing default theme

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[SOLVED] No login screen after changing default theme

Postby leoyoshiyang » Feb 17th, '21, 18:03

Good afternoon.

Using Mageia 8 beta KDE (and, before that, Mageia 7 with no problems whatsoever). I haven't applied updates in a while.

Yesterday I changed the default login theme in KDE system settings (Workspace --> Startup and Shutdown --> Login Screen (SDDM)) from default Mageia theme to some other. It asked for root password, I successfully applied it and closed settings.

Today, as I turned on the computer, it succesfully boots but there's no login screen, only a black screen with cursor. This is the only change I've done recently. Apart from that, everything has been very stable.

How can I restore default login theme and, hopefully, solve this problem? I can access Ctrl+Alt-F2.

Many thanks. Mageia is my favorite distro.
Last edited by leoyoshiyang on Feb 19th, '21, 19:09, edited 2 times in total.
leoyoshiyang

Re: No login screen after changing default theme

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 17th, '21, 22:06

The login screen theme for sddm is configured in /etc/sddm.conf in [Theme] section, you can comment the theme there and then it should use the default.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Feb 17th, '21, 23:24

It may be Bug 27601 - Blackscreen after an update of sddm
Referenced in Errata
So try changing the hostname to something else than localhost.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby leoyoshiyang » Feb 18th, '21, 22:01

After trying to edit "/etc/sddm.conf" and other related files with nano, with me realizing these files were about merely 5 lines long and seemed quite empty compared to what they should be, and after turning off and on about 6 times after searching and typing a lot but fixing nothing... the login screen suddenly appeared (after boot 6, I think). With the new theme...

Because I'm a basic user, I don't know what the bug was but it seems solved. Now I already updated everything to the latest. Thanks doktor5000 and morgano for the quick replies! Mageia is so good the problem solves itself! :lol:
leoyoshiyang

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 19th, '21, 18:55

Please mark the thread as solved by editing the subject of the first post and prefix it with [SOLVED], thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron