3 problems after reinstall from Mag6 to RC1

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

3 problems after reinstall from Mag6 to RC1

Postby distar » Feb 10th, '21, 13:07

Hello!
I installed RC1 instead of Mageia6 and ran into several problems:
1) Some time after the installation of the system (10-20 reboots), KDE stopped starting. Those. after entering the password, everything just freezes and that's it. I reinstalled again (with formatting), it happened again. Then I started looking for the reason. As a result, "chown -R user /home/ user" + loading from user from init3 (startx) and switching via MCC SDDM -> KDM -> normal reboot -> SDDM -> normal reboot helped. Now everything is ok, it didn't bother me anymore. Magic!

2) Very big problem with displaying fonts! The fonts are "blind"! Not only does a 10pt font take 9pt (corrected by changing the dpi to 96 in the KDE font settings), but they are also fuzzy. Anti-aliasing settings do not bring relief. The monitor is identified by the system correctly, the parameters correspond to the passport requirements. Note that Mageia6 did not have such a problem - the fonts displayed amazingly.
bug.png
bug.png (24.3 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

3) The driver of the Radeon 7870 video card, not only does it not support 3D (this is in 2021!), It doesn’t seem to support 2D either, because I used to have youtube easily playing 1080p, but now it’s hard to reproduce 720p, taking away for this all system resources. You can't do that, you have to do something about it.

As a result: I seem to have won problem 1 on my own, while 2 and 3 require your help.
Installation clean. System language - russian.
Sorry to forgive my english. Thanks!
distar

Re: 3 problems after reinstall from Mag6 to RC1

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 10th, '21, 17:43

For 2) and 3) please open separate topics, thanks in advance.
Also, did you keep your /home partition or is this an actual fresh installation? If not please try with a newly created user.

For 2) you should probably add some missing context information, like what desktop environment you're using (Plasma?) and also what antialiasing/hinting settings you're currently using, accompanied by your video driver and what DPI your video driver selects by default.

For 3) some more information about what video driver is used, e.g. excerpt from /var/log/Xorg.0.log and how you tested 3D support.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby distar » Feb 10th, '21, 21:08

2 & 3 - ок.
The installation is completely new - hdd fell down and replaced.

I will try to create a new user, but the problem did not arise immediately - it took several hours of active work. If you can reproduce the problem, I'll let you know.
Before "chown -R user /home/user", trying to do $startx did this.
bug2.png
bug2.png (100.29 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

After "chown -R user /home /user" the launch of "$startx" was successful, but after a regular boot through the graphical interface, KDE still did not start (it stuck after entering the password).

*I suggest ignoring the penultimate line in the screenshot, since this is the result of my actions.
distar

Postby distar » Feb 10th, '21, 21:36

Problem # 3 can be closed, at some point, when I tried to solve the problem with font smoothing, 2 & 3D support started working. I didn't catch the moment, because I was focused on fonts as a more serious problem and only now I started to look in more detail, what's up with 2/3D? And it already works.

distar

Postby isadora » Feb 19th, '21, 10:23

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron