Encrypted install hangs at passphrase prompt

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Encrypted install hangs at passphrase prompt

Postby xserver11 » Sep 1st, '20, 21:21

Hello, I am failing to successfully boot my fresh Mageia 8 Beta 1 installation on an encrypted root partition. The system hangs at the passphrase text box and I can not type anything. This issue happens on both ext4 and btrfs filesystems.
I have also reproduced the same problem on VirtualBox. In this case instead of reaching the graphical passphrase screen its stuck at black screen.
After adjusting the kernel options this is the screen it is stuck at:

Steps to reproduce:
1. Mount the ESP partition from the installer
2. Create a non-encrypted ext4 /boot partition with the size of 512 MBs.
3. Create an encrypted ext4 partition for /.
4. Complete the installation.
5. The system hangs at the encryption passphrase screen.

I am using the KDE Live variant of the beta release but the issue also happened on the apha classical installer. Thank you.
xserver11

Re: Encrypted install hangs at passphrase prompt

Postby martinw » Sep 3rd, '20, 21:36

These are two separate issues, as they are stopping at different points in the boot process. Please start a separate thread for the VirtualBox one, mentioning what host system you are using and what the settings for the guest are.

I'm unable to reproduce your problem with the encrypted root partition with a test install in VirtualBox - all worked as expected. The only thing that seems unusual is that you don't have a swap partition, but I tried that too.

If you edit the boot command line in the grub menu and remove "splash quiet", are there any helpful error messages? If you install onto an unencrypted root partition, does that boot OK?
martinw

Postby xserver11 » Sep 6th, '20, 14:38

Thank you! I'm going to make a separate thread for the VirtualBox issue later on. My device is a Fujitsu Lifebook T904. It has an i7-4600U, 8 GB RAM and Intel HD 4400 as the iGPU. I did a reinstallation with swap partition added. "/dev/sda3" is the root partition. Here's the screenshot of the boot process when I omit "quiet splash" from GRUB:
https://i.imgur.com/kNpIQGV.jpg

The issue does not occur on a non-encrypted installation.
xserver11

Postby martinw » Sep 6th, '20, 20:29

So there are no errors we can see, and it's waiting for the password. Is there any response to the keyboard? (most keys should be echoed as a '*', the Enter key should get more of a response).

If there's no response at all, try rebooting, but this time replace the "splash quiet" by "rd.break=initqueue". That should drop you into a debug shell without asking for a password. Is there any response to the keyboard then?
martinw

Postby xserver11 » Sep 8th, '20, 11:38

Unfortunately there is no response to the keyboard with the default boot settings or when quiet splash is removed or when quiet splash is replaced with rd.break=initqueue.
xserver11

Postby martinw » Sep 8th, '20, 14:19

My guess is that there is a driver needed for your keyboard that isn't being included in the initrd. It's quite hard to debug that when the keyboard isn't working...
I would start by booting into a system on an unencrypted partition and looking in the system log to see when the keyboard is detected, then try to trace back what bus driver modules were loaded before that happened. Then use the lsinitrd command to see whether any necessary kernel modules were missing.
martinw

Postby morgano » Oct 13th, '20, 23:01

Years ago i had a similar situation.
My normal USB keyboard did not work for entering encryption key.
Had to plug in my PS/2 keyboard at boot for typing the key.

Do you have another keyboard to try?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby xserver11 » Dec 17th, '20, 11:16

Unfortunately back then I failed to debug the issue properly.

My computer is a laptop and I don't have an extra USB or PS/2 keyboards to try.

I'm going to give another try once the final release is out. Hopefully it'll be magically fixed with a kernel upgrade :D or at least I hope to pinpoint the keyboard driver issue via debugging.

Thank you both for your answers.
xserver11

Postby morgano » Dec 17th, '20, 18:54

You may also try a Mageia 8 beta 2 Live, with persistence and encryption selected.
If that works it is plausible an install works too.
If it cant unlock encryption, boot Live without encryption and maybe we can see in log what driver is used.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/User:Morgano ... ve_systems
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby johnpenguin » Feb 2nd, '21, 18:40

I have noticed that sometimes you boot and the password prompt won't appear properly but will give a screen like the one you posted instead.

You can still type the password and hit enter, but you have to do it blindly. At least that was the case in my experience.

Usually such things happen after an update and sometimes they get the way they were after another update.
johnpenguin

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron