How to use DNFDgragora & DNF

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

How to use DNFDgragora & DNF

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 18th, '20, 07:10

:oops: Yes, I searched here about DNF and DNFDragora, and they answered all my basic question such as coexisting with urpmi and the preinstalled MCC. However I don't have a RPM distro background so don't use or should say I am not used to using YUM or other DNF based RPM based package managers. I have Mageia 7.1 installed on another SSD here. This is a new install because I need the room for a virtualization using Virtualbox of an OS that I refuse to install directly ever to my computers, but have to use a couple of programs and it seems like a better solution than dual booting.

So I have this NICE SHINY NEW Mageia 8 beta 1 install. It seems quite stable. I ran the KDE live for something like 12 hours with no issues. IS this new in the installer? That it installs changes you make in the LIve session? I didn't know it did that!! I was so sad :cry: because for the long overnight run I had installed applications and themes then I took it off just to test something that I usually use but really found and felt this was better. If I had known it would install all my settings... Oh well, live in learn.

Well as I stated, this is Mageia 8. Confusing me much because actually everything says Cauldron? So when does it change to Mageia 8 officially? Do I have to change repos or enable certain repos rather when it is officially released?

That brings me to the question of DNF, I am more familiar with the repo setup in the urpmi GUI in the Mageia control center but I wanted to try the DNF as it is included here & has a Qt front end in DNFDragora. I took a look at the repos list and left it alone. The naming conventions seem a little different than MCC. Because I usually only use the Stable but really wanted to try 8 with the changes and new features I am quite unfamiliar with the whole Cauldron setup.

Any basic advice if I am going to be using DNFDragora and DNF to manage things? Mostly just the question about the repo settings. I didn't search Cauldron use in the forum, should I? Though I just want to use 8 and when it reaches final release be on Mageia 8. 8-)
Last edited by isadora on Aug 18th, '20, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum. And removed text-make-up for better readability.
Sabungayam

Re: How to use DNFDgragora & DNF

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 18th, '20, 17:28

I don't get your actual question. Do you want to know about basic dnf usage? Or only how to setup the repositories ? Or you don't know how to run dnfdragora or how to install it?
For the first two questions, you may want to have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Using_DNF
For the latter, it's contained in the package dnfdragora and the command is also dnfdragora. It's also the same look & feel as rpmdrake from MCC.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 01:46

Thank you for you reply, the 3rd question...

When I look at the repos in DNFDragora, it does not appear the 'same' to me as in the MCC.

Also I am running Mageia 8 Beta, so this is a first for me in general as well as with Mageia. I am not really familiar with the RPM based distros.

There seem to be some differences in terms of some commands and package use.

1st. Should the Repos enabled all be Cauldron?

2nd, if 'yes' will they automatically change when Mageia 8 is officially released?

3rd, If I were to select 'Mageia' repos now, would that be trying to pull from Mageia 7?

I note here you said it's the same as in the MCC so I will have another look at it to see what it's set too. I do get the same things listed in DNFDragora as in MCC.
But when I looked it up before trying to use it, I did see a couple posts that indicate there is some slight difference in the repo arrangement of DNFDragora compared to MCC.

Those are my questions. Thank you.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 01:48

Sorry, that is your second question... I do have it installed and running and have installed RPMs from it already but would like to be a bit more familiar with it's repo setup as compared to the instructions in MCC.
Sabungayam

Postby benmc » Aug 19th, '20, 06:08

Sabungayam wrote:Also I am running Mageia 8 Beta, so this is a first for me in general as well as with Mageia. I am not really familiar with the RPM based distros.
There seem to be some differences in terms of some commands and package use.

Welcome to Mageia.
It is good to try/sample other distros to develop your own impressions.
urpmi commands are quite straight forward,
basic commands:
urpmi (installs: urpmi package_name)
urpme (erases or uninstalls: urpme package_name)

Doktor5000 has made a useful primer here: => viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4231

Sabungayam wrote:1st. Should the Repos enabled all be Cauldron?

not sure of the intent of the question, but only cauldron repos should be enabled for a cauldron system.
only core release , non-free, tainted( and if 64bit 32 core-release, 32 non-free, 32 tainted.)
all others in cauldron are not used as it is technically a rolling release.
you would normally enable the updates and maybe the backports when Mga8 branches off Cauldron
Sabungayam wrote:2nd, if 'yes' will they automatically change when Mageia 8 is officially released?

no but it is trivial to change
Sabungayam wrote:3rd, If I were to select 'Mageia' repos now, would that be trying to pull from Mageia 7?

if you select all repos in MCC and then delete them,then, if you try to update, you will be advised that there are no repos set up.
if you then add new repos from MCC, they will be Cauldron, as Mga8 branch has not yet reached the point where we have parallel mirrors , cauldron and Mga8.

you can of course manually add Mga7 mirrors via a terminal. but there is a high likelihood of breaking your system.

regarding DNF, I do not use it, but there are certainly others that do
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 19th, '20, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
benmc

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 06:26

Thank you for you reply. I am just wanting to give the DNF a try as it does fit with the themes better it seems. VS the very bright white all the time.

SO you did answer my confusion about everything set to Cauldron. Yes, what you said is what I thought. I don't want to enable Mageia as that would be 7 and conflict.

Maybe you can help with my current quest under advanced.

I can not get Virtualbox to start a VM... quite an interesting message there... but just maybe I'm on to something. Alas I have no clue how to solve it if my am correct...
Sabungayam

Postby benmc » Aug 19th, '20, 06:44

Sabungayam wrote:I can not get Virtualbox to start a VM... quite an interesting message there... but just maybe I'm on to something. Alas I have no clue how to solve it if my am correct...

did read that but for me, whenever I have installed and used Oracle Virtual Box, it just runs, so I am unsure that I would be able to be of assistance :(
I did see that you had installed VirtualBox VM 6.1.12_Mageia r13918, which I understand is a reasonably late version, and you installed from a Mageia source, rather than from Oracle

edit: just had another read.
it seems you have installed VB in UEFI mode.
Can you try a reinstall of the VB but choose not to enable UEFI support when you create the VB machine?
benmc

Postby martinw » Aug 23rd, '20, 23:56

VirtualBox doesn't currently work with the Linux 5.8.x kernels. Hopefully Oracle will release a fix soon.
martinw

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 24th, '20, 11:57

Yes... that last @martinw. Links I was given showed that it doesn't work with the kernel. That's why I get the message Vbox kernel module or something not working. I have posted specifically about it not working elswhere because it didn't complain in Mageia 7 when I set it up. Though I didn't use it here because I had too little space. I have fixed that problem. Deleted a partition and grew the Mageia 7 partition.

So I can sue Vbox there and hopefully it will be fixed before release time. As it is, it's a problem for any Linux with 5.8.x kernels.

@benmc: How would I install VB without UEFI support? I just installed the package as it was from MCC. SO it install that way automatically. Would I have to MESS with my BIOS because, well I have other installs here and they are all the default UEFI. I would maybe have to reinstall all then? OR are there settings for the VM that you can disable such support though the host is UEFI and I am installingi WIndoz which, I thought only wants to boot in UEFI? Windoz 10. I just thought I read that somewhere. To be honest I have avoided Windoz for the last 11-12 years... I really don't know much about it. It will NEVER be directly installed on anything I own. Because what I do know from glancing at attempts to dual boot is it's a big mess I would rather do without... and I have to pay for that headache too? Hahaha...

Thank you both for you answers and help.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 24th, '20, 16:22

Sabungayam wrote:So I can sue Vbox there and hopefully it will be fixed before release time.

Do you know what "sue" means? You want to sue a company that provides a software as open source because that software is not working on newer kernels?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Aug 24th, '20, 21:52

doktor5000 wrote:Do you know what "sue" means

typo, I think, should be "use"

Sabungayam wrote:How would I install VB without UEFI support

from your posting, I guessed(incorrrectly) that you were using Mageia in a Virtual box as a guest, not using Mageia as the Host.
benmc

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 24th, '20, 23:45

Yeah... so sad, LOOKS like I don't speak English... "egg on face"... yeah bad typo... certainly meant "use".

Ah, I see, yeah, I just install Linux. It's Windoz that's the guest for those Windoz only programs. Normally wouldn't bother but it's a project for work so I will need some Windoz only programs.
Sabungayam

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron