kfd: error getting iommu info. is the iommu enabled?

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

kfd: error getting iommu info. is the iommu enabled?

Postby Vanitarium » Aug 9th, '20, 19:22

In my AMD RYZEN Zenbook I get following errors and I attach the logs and dmesg outputs. I don't really know enough about this error.
Googling I found that this error has to do with input–output memory management unit (IOMMU) and that the BIOS has no entry for IOMMU settings.
I tried to report a bug but could not login : it kept on telling me there was already an account...used same credentials as for the forum and failed....Sorry to post it here in the forum.
If somebody with knowledge about this errors could help would be great. I have researched and found no solution for this error.
Thanks...
PS.Cannot attach file to this post due to rules
************************************************************************************************************************************
Code: Select all
sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb

localhost.localdomain kernel: pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter.
Aug 09 17:50:46 localhost.localdomain kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xdd511000-0xdd511fff flags 0x200] vs dd511000 4000
Aug 09 17:50:46 localhost.localdomain kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0xdd515000-0xdd515fff flags 0x200] vs dd515000 4000
Aug 09 17:50:46 localhost.localdomain kernel: sp5100-tco sp5100-tco: Watchdog hardware is disabled
Aug 09 17:50:48 localhost.localdomain kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 250082288 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Aug 09 17:50:49 localhost.localdomain bluetoothd[804]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Aug 09 17:50:55 localhost.localdomain sddm-helper[1116]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Aug 09 17:50:57 localhost.localdomain bluetoothd[804]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)

~
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

lscpu

Architecture:                    x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:                      Little Endian
Address sizes:                   43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):                          8
On-line CPU(s) list:             0-7
Thread(s) per core:              2
Core(s) per socket:              4
Socket(s):                       1
NUMA node(s):                    1
Vendor ID:                       AuthenticAMD
CPU family:                      23
Model:                           24
Model name:                      AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Stepping:                        1
Frequency boost:                 enabled
CPU MHz:                         1134.536
CPU max MHz:                     2100.0000
CPU min MHz:                     1400.0000
BogoMIPS:                        4192.31
Virtualization:                  AMD-V
L1d cache:                       128 KiB
L1i cache:                       256 KiB
L2 cache:                        2 MiB
L3 cache:                        4 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s):               0-7
Vulnerability Itlb multihit:     Not affected
Vulnerability L1tf:              Not affected
Vulnerability Mds:               Not affected
Vulnerability Meltdown:          Not affected
Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Vulnerability Spectre v1:        Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2:        Mitigation; Full AMD retpoline, IBPB conditional, STIBP disabled, RSB filling
Vulnerability Srbds:             Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort:   Not affected
Flags:                           fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_ts
                                 c cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignss
                                 e 3dnowprefetch osvw skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb hw_pstate sme ssbd sev ibpb vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflu
                                 shopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves clzero irperf xsaveerptr arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vms
                                 ave_vmload vgif overflow_recov succor smca

******************************************************************************************************************
Last edited by isadora on Aug 9th, '20, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please place command-output between [CODE]-tags, to improve readability, thanks ahead!!! ;)
ASUS Zenbook Flip 14 UM462DA with AMD RYZEN 5 3500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8
Vanitarium

Re: kfd: error getting iommu info. is the iommu enabled?

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 9th, '20, 22:43

Hi there,

for the login on https://bugs.mageia.org have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia.org_u ... is_account
You need to use your username (not email adress) and same password as on the forums.

Also for the attachment, what error message did you get ?

For your iommu error messages, apart from the messages, is there any actual issue ?
You could try various kernel boot options to see if that changes the behaviour, e.g. iommu=soft or iommu=pt
Have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_set_up_kernel_options

I'd probably be more worried about the I/O error on your secondary harddrive ...
Aug 09 17:50:48 localhost.localdomain kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 250082288 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Vanitarium » Aug 11th, '20, 12:12

Thanks for your reply. The second drive is an SD card with photos from a phone. Nothing to worry about there.
The error message is shown in dmesg print out. There are no issues as far as I can make out. I have tried the workarounds you mention iommu soft and pt and I am using pt just now.
Thanks for the hint about bug report. My error: I had two accounts so got rid of all of them and kept only the forum one ...
ASUS Zenbook Flip 14 UM462DA with AMD RYZEN 5 3500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8
Vanitarium

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '20, 17:32

Vanitarium wrote:My error: I had two accounts so got rid of all of them and kept only the forum one ...

The forum does not have separate accounts, they are all managed at https://identity.mageia.org/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby martinw » Aug 11th, '20, 22:56

I get the "AMD-Vi: Unable to read/write to IOMMU perf counter" on every boot too. I believe it is just the kernel probing for available functionality, and not a real issue. If you check for other log messages mentioning IOMMU, you should find something like:
kernel: pci 0000:00:00.2: AMD-Vi: Found IOMMU cap 0x40
kernel: AMD-Vi: AMD IOMMUv2 driver by Joerg Roedel <jroedel@suse.de>

which indicates the IOMMU has been detected and activated.
martinw

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron