dash properties edit in gnome shell extensions

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

dash properties edit in gnome shell extensions

Postby Vanitarium » Aug 9th, '20, 09:35

Hi, I am following advice by @isadora (thank you!) and opening a new topic. So, here it goes and lets hope we can solve this one.

I have installed Mageia8 beta and gnome. A lot of things work OK but I found that the "dash to dock" extension from the gnome website does not work. I have left a problem report for the developer with the error. I have also found that there are many reports that this extension does not work with shell ver. 3.36 at all.

The issue is that I had to setup PLANK instead (as a dock) but that one does not have a launcher docklet for all apps.
The use of extensions in gnome is a bit 'hit and miss' because if the user wishes to customise he has to go via extensions which are sometimes out of date or just buggy. In particular the idea of not being able to edit the Gconf register easily is a drawback for a lot of users: it is just too complicated to find your way around a database using an app with limited documentation.
This issue seems to be specific to Mageia 8 since Manjaro,e.g.,the user can modify the dash using extensions. In Mageia the extension does not work and errors out.
So, my question is as follows:
Is there any way that the MAGEIA user can configure the dash in the activity window so that it becomes available on the desktop? If the 'dash to dock' doesn't work, how can the dash be eliminated (hidden) when the user has a dock on the desktop?? (it seems redundant to have a dash when using a dock )
How can the app launcher from the dash be put on the PLANK dock?
ASUS Zenbook Flip 14 UM462DA with AMD RYZEN 5 3500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8
Vanitarium

Re: dash properties edit in gnome shell extensions

Postby martinw » Aug 9th, '20, 14:46

I can't answer your question, but I can say that cauldron, and hence the beta ISOs, are using the pre-release versions of GNOME 3.38 (it is anticipated that GNOME 3.38 will be released before Mageia 8 is out). GNOME extensions often get broken by new GNOME releases, and you have to wait and hope that the extension developer provides an update.
martinw

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron