SOLVED: Resize problem for VBox client

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

SOLVED: Resize problem for VBox client

Postby WetGeek » Jun 13th, '19, 22:30

I'm new to Mageia, but not to Linux. I always install betas and RCs in a VirtualBox VM, and did so with RC1.

When I tried to install the VB guest additions for Linux, I got a message saying "Failed to register resizing support, rc=VERR_INVALID_FUNCTION".
Is this because I'm attempting to resize an RC, or should this be working by now?

It's hard to work with the original size VM ... I REALLY want to use it full-screen.

Thanks,
Jerry
Last edited by WetGeek on Jun 15th, '19, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
WetGeek

Re: Resize problem for VBox client

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 13th, '19, 23:18

How in particular did you try to install the guest additions? Because usually the packages for guest additions are already installed.
Also, what installation media are you using and what about the virtualbox host, some more details on that would be appreciated (virtualbox version, OS)
Can you also check whether xrandr is available in your RC1 installation ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby WetGeek » Jun 13th, '19, 23:36

VBox version is: Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2), running on fully updated Windows 10 Pro.
I installed it by loading the VBox guest additions ISO into the VM's CD drive, then started an elevated terminal and cd'd to the device in /run/media/my login name.

There, I commanded
Code: Select all
./VBoxLinuxAddition.run
and followed the prompts to all it to build the additions and run them.
All of that process completed normally, except for the error message I noted in my first message. I cannot get the VM to go to full-screen with the usual VBox command.
Thus, my question whether it was expected to work.

Note: this method of installing the guest additions has worked for me on 9 or 10 other distributions, so I expected it to work with Mageia, but did not know if it would work yet in an RC.

Regards,
Jerry
WetGeek

Postby WetGeek » Jun 13th, '19, 23:41

Sorry, I forgot that last bit. I checked, and xrandr IS installed on the VM. I needed to use that once on a Solus VM in order to get it to full screen, so I understand why you asked that.

Jerry
WetGeek

Postby martinw » Jun 14th, '19, 20:37

The guest additions should get installed automatically when you install Mageia in a VBox VM. From my mga7 guest:
Code: Select all
[martin@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep virtualbox
virtualbox-guest-additions-6.0.8-1.mga7

For resizing via the VBox window controls to work, you need to configure your VM to use either the VBoxVGA or VBoxSVGA graphics controller. With VBox 6.0, the default is the VMSVGA graphics controller, which only supports resizing using the guest system display controls.
martinw

Postby WetGeek » Jun 14th, '19, 20:53

Indeed, that solved the problem. It hadn't occurred to me to try that, because the default video had worked for every other VM I've created. Thanks for your help!
WetGeek

Postby benmc » Jun 15th, '19, 00:40

if indeed solved please edit and prefix your original post title with [solved]

cheers
benmc

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron