Installing FreeCAD on Mageia 7RC

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Installing FreeCAD on Mageia 7RC

Postby thorh » Jun 10th, '19, 11:14

I have tried installing FreeCAD from the Control Center, but gets an error message:
aria 2 error 1.

I can get the downloaded AppImage to run, but shouldn't programs install in a RC?

Thor
thorh

Re: Installing FreeCAD on Mageia 7RC

Postby martinw » Jun 10th, '19, 22:19

Installs without any issues here. I would suspect a (maybe temporary) problem with the mirror you are using. aria2 is the program that downloads the files from the mirror. If the problem persists, try using a different mirror.
martinw

Postby thorh » Jun 11th, '19, 14:15

Thanks Martin,
for now I just run the AppImage version of FreeCAD, seems to work.

Thor
thorh

Postby martinw » Jun 11th, '19, 20:21

Seeing that you report aria2 errors in other threads, you could also try changing the default download program. To do that, go to "Configure media sources..." in the MCC, select "Options", then "Global options", and change "Download program to use". curl or wget are slower than aria2, but sometimes more reliable. You will need to install the curl or wget packages if you don't already have them, otherwise they won't appear in the drop-down list.
martinw

Postby thorh » Jun 12th, '19, 08:10

Thanks Martin,

I set it to curl, but when trying Mageia 7RC on my old laptop FreeCAD installed without problems, clamd still doesn't show up in the Task Manager though.

Thor
thorh

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 12th, '19, 08:13

thorh wrote:clamd still doesn't show up in the Task Manager though.

Which isn't really related to which download manager is used by software management. Please only one problem per thread and no crossposting, thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby thorh » Jun 22nd, '19, 07:55

I have now followed Martin's advice and tried both curl and wget, both fails with an error code, so far I have found no way to install FreeCAD from MCC. Any suggestions?

Thor
thorh

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 22nd, '19, 19:15

Asking the other way around, can you install any other package via MCC currently ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby thorh » Jun 23rd, '19, 07:07

I have installed a few other programs from the MCC and they work. I have not tried installing many different applications, but FreeCAD was one of the programs that wouldn't install on my old computer, it did install on my newer laptop, so I guess that has something to do with my old hardware. I have now installed Mageia 6.1 on the old computer in question and FreeCAD 0.16 installed (and runs) without problems. So for my old hardware 6.1 (and 5) seems to cause less trouble than 7RC.

Thor
thorh

Postby ITA84 » Jun 23rd, '19, 10:59

It's odd that other packages are installed just fine. Not very likely, but could it be that you have a 3rd party package repository configured which offers FreeCAD and has precedence over the one in the Mageia repositories? If that's not the case, maybe the error you get with curl or wget when installing FreeCAD isn't about the download but afterwards?
ITA84

Postby martinw » Jun 23rd, '19, 22:56

curl/wget/aria2 are only used for the download, not for installing the packages. What is the exact error number reported for curl? That might tell us where the problem lies.
martinw

Postby thorh » Jun 24th, '19, 05:32

Thanks for the reply, the aria ended with error 1, the curl/wget with error 22. I have installed Mageia 6.1 on the computer that gave me trouble and FreeCAD 0.16 installed without trouble, so I will not be able to replicate the problems.

Thor
thorh

Postby thorh » Jun 24th, '19, 05:36

ITA84 wrote:It's odd that other packages are installed just fine. Not very likely, but could it be that you have a 3rd party package repository configured which offers FreeCAD and has precedence over the one in the Mageia repositories? If that's not the case, maybe the error you get with curl or wget when installing FreeCAD isn't about the download but afterwards?

I did add several of the repositories (non-free, backports and tainted) so that may have been a cause. But I did the same to the Mageia 7RC that I installed on my laptop, and FreeCAD did install on that computer.

Thor
thorh

Postby martinw » Jun 25th, '19, 09:37

curl error 22 indicates the mirror returned a HTTP 4xx error. So this still suggests it was a mirror problem.
martinw

Postby thorh » Jun 28th, '19, 06:27

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply, you are probably right. On Mageia 6.1 I can run/install both the FreeCAD from the Mageia repository and the latest AppImage.

Thor
thorh

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron